Day 1 & 2 down!

Allison Loxton

Jan 29, 2013, 11:03:19 PM1/29/13
to january-2013...@googlegroups.com
Day 1:
I'll continue with the flow of a food check-in. I'm already loving some of the ideas I've gotten from everyone else!

Breakfast:
- Smoothie (spinach, blueberries, raspberries, coconut water, plain greek yogurt)

Snack:
- Handful of almonds
- Handful of baby carrots

Lunch:
- One serving of homemade chili (peppers, onions, tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, sweet potato, morningstar farms meal starter)

Snack:
- 2 Rice cakes

Dinner:
- Spagetti squash with marinara and reduced fat ricotta
- Spinach salad with goat cheese, walnuts, balsamic vinegar and olive oil homemade dressing

------

I noticed someone made a list of things they consciously didn't eat and normally would have... I like that idea! Mostly because I'm realizing that even though it was challenging to say no at the time, I feel good about it now!

- Chocolate cheesecake cupcake that I baked this weekend for a birthday party and brought to work to pawn off on my coworkers
- Chocolate chip cookie at a staff meeting
- A piece of chocolate from a box of leftover chocolate medallions that have been sitting in my office from an event. They taunt me every day! I usually keep my intake of them to about two per week... but I won't have any on the purge! Thankfully, I was too busy to have an internal battle with said box today, but I'll keep you all posted if I feel like I need to move it out of sight out of mind haha

------

I'm also keeping notes of my headaches, mood, etc. just so I can see if there is any fluctuation/correlation to the foods I'm eating/not eating!

Day 2:

Breakfast:
- 1 egg, 1.5 egg whites + sauteed peppers, onion, spinach, parmesan, spices + hot sauce (made a double batch last night will eat other half tomorrow)

Snack:
- 10 Almonds
- Apple

Lunch:
- Spaghetti squash with marinara sauce and steamed broccoli

Snack:
- 1 serving of 85% chocolate (we had a tasting at work to choose our favorite type haha)

What I now realize was "Dinner" and not actually another snack:
- Whole grain light english muffin with all natural peanut butter (I was super hungry and trying desperately to find a cure for my headache I’ve been fighting since the afternoon. I also had to head out the second I walked in the door. I’m pretty sure the english muffin wasn’t the best choice but I checked and it had 8 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein which I guess I rationalized. Thankfully it was the last I had so I won’t be tempted to run to that! I will try to find a better option if I’m in that situation again.)
I got home from a wake at 10:30 so I’m not thrilled with the idea of eating anything right now. I just drank a ton of water and a couple bites of the lunch I made for tomorrow.

Prepped lunch & dinner for tomorrow:
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups broccoli
half a can black beans, drained and rinsed

half a large onion, diced

1 large tomato, diced

3 gloves garlic, minced

salt and pepper to taste

2 cups water (or broth)

1 teaspoon olive oil

------

Hope everyone is doing well!

Elizabeth Rapkoch

Jan 29, 2013, 11:54:25 PM1/29/13
to january-2013...@googlegroups.com
So, it turns out that I have the flu, which is adding a twist to this challenge. I find that I am vacillating between not wanting to eat anything, wanting something cold to chase the fever, and wanting something warm to cure the chills depending on how I am feeling. This morning I had a smoothie with unsweetened chocolate almond milk, whey protein, spinach, blueberries, and raspberries. I had a handful of NutThin crackers, but gluten free crackers just don't help nausea the way Saltines did back in my gluten eating days. Tonight I had another smoothie with coconut water, flax meal, spinach, raspberries, mango, and pineapple. And awhile later I was still seeking something starchy, so I had roasted sweet potato wedges, which really hit the spot.

I find that ginger ale and potato chips are the constant foods that I am thinking about right now, as both tend to calm my stomach. I want to stick to this program, as I hope eating the foods we have all been talking about will actually help me get over this bug quicker. Here's hoping tomorrow is a little better!

Libby

Marie Emma Graves

Jan 30, 2013, 7:57:13 AM1/30/13
to Elizabeth Rapkoch, january-2013...@googlegroups.com
Oh no!!!  Feel better!  Get lots of liquids :)

Emma Graves
Between You & The Moon
www.thepimplewhisperer.com

Rachel Cutler

Jan 30, 2013, 1:32:17 PM1/30/13
to Allison Loxton, january-2013...@googlegroups.com
I can attest that the veggies and quinoa were delicious!

Aynsley Kirshenbaum

Jan 30, 2013, 2:48:44 PM1/30/13
to january-2013...@googlegroups.com
I LOVE this idea of "what I didn't eat that I normally would have" Brilliant, you guys!

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM, Allison Loxton <alox...@gmail.com> wrote:

Aynsley Kirshenbaum
Fitness Nutrition Wellness
347.392.9116