normalized status messages?

Tod Matola

Sep 27, 2008, 9:49:59 AM9/27/08
to jangle-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

 One point of interop we have found is the use of status string to be able to determine the state of an item, the problem is they reflect the particular workflow of the library. And can vary is quantity and quality from site to site.

Has any thought been given to a normalized set so the folks down stream do not need to know gory details of the site they are using? We have a worse case of a site have 1000+. They mix locations, dates, and states (yuck).

Feel free to tell me this is too specific.

We have been using ISO 8459 set, which looks roughly like:
,"available"
,"claimedReturnedOrNeverBorrowed"
,"damaged"
,"inBinding"
,"inProcess"
,"inRepair"
,"inTransit"
,"lost"
,"missingBeingTraced"
,"missingOverdue"
,"nonCirculating"
,"notAvailable"
,"onHold"
,"onLoan"
,"onLoanUntilRecall"
,"onOrder"
,"other"
,"pendingTransfer"
,"recalled"
,"supplied"
,"undefined"
,"unreserved"
,"waitingToBeMadeAvailable"
,"weeded"
,"withdrawn"

Cheers Tod.

Ross Singer

Sep 27, 2008, 10:37:18 AM9/27/08
to jangle-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tod!

Well, yes, this is *huge* problem.

I think it's totally "doable" to map the various ways libraries have
defined this via Jangle (at least, in my naivete, I can make this
claim).

I assume this is for an Item, right? What would the rest of the
resource response look like?

I don't think this is too specific. Are there definitions to some of
these terms in the ISO standard?

-Ross.

Tod Matola

Sep 27, 2008, 11:02:04 PM9/27/08
to jangle-...@googlegroups.com
Ross,

Yes this is for an item. I'm not sure I'm clear on this question (how do items differ from resources? and feel free to point me to spots in the spec or a glossary):
> What would the rest of the resource response look like?

There are some descriptions, I don't recall if they go much beyond the obvious. I will try to did them up (I can't seem to find the link).

Cheers Tod.

Tod Matola

Sep 27, 2008, 11:23:09 PM9/27/08
to jangle-...@googlegroups.com
Found this

Code value13

Definition

0

Available on shelves

1

Circulation status undefined

2

On order

3

Not available; undefined

4

On loan

5

On loan and not available for recall until earliest recall date

6

In process

7

Recalled