Proposal to change the link rel="related" syntax

Ross Singer

Oct 2, 2008, 3:25:44 PM10/2/08
to jangle-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

The spec documents are coming along. The Connector API docs are ready
for review:

http://jangle.org/drupal/1_0rev1spec/connector_api

And I'm working my way through the Core/AtomPub documents.

As I'm working on the Feed specification, I came across something that
I think could be changed.

Right now for relationships between Jangle resources (i.e. Items to
Resources) we're using a link tag that looks like:
<link type="application/atom+xml"
href="http://demo.jangle.org/openbiblio/actors/1711/items/"
rel="http://jangle.org/rel/related#Item"/>

Which is also repeated as a regular link rel="related" tag for regular
Atom clients:
<link type="application/atom+xml"
href="http://demo.jangle.org/openbiblio/actors/1711/items/"
rel="related"/>

We had discussed a couple months ago the idea of merging these and
adding a Jangle Atom extension as an attribute. So, taking that idea,
I'm proposing this:
<link type="application/atom+xml"
href="http://demo.jangle.org/openbiblio/actors/1711/items/"
rel="related" jangle:relationship="http://jangle.org/vocab/Entity#Item"/>

The end result would ultimately be the same, without redundancy. At
least I think it would be. Comments?

We also link to alternate formats of the same resource or feed in a
similar fashion:
<link rel="http://jangle.org/vocab/formats#http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
type="application/atom+xml"
href="http://demo.jangle.org/openbiblio/resources/5878?format=dc"/>

However the above method *won't* work with this, because you cannot
use the same type attribute in two link elements within the same entry
element. If anybody has any ideas on how this could be improved,
please lay something out.

For now, in the draft spec, I'll keep the status quo for the alternate
formats and the new proposal for relationships.

Any objections?

Thanks,
-Ross.

Mike Rylander

Oct 2, 2008, 4:26:19 PM10/2/08
to jangle-...@googlegroups.com

1 * Inf+1

> We also link to alternate formats of the same resource or feed in a
> similar fashion:
> <link rel="http://jangle.org/vocab/formats#http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
> type="application/atom+xml"
> href="http://demo.jangle.org/openbiblio/resources/5878?format=dc"/>
>
> However the above method *won't* work with this, because you cannot
> use the same type attribute in two link elements within the same entry
> element. If anybody has any ideas on how this could be improved,
> please lay something out.

... dang ... (As you mentioned in IRC, there's always unAPI! :) )

--
Mike Rylander