Stuck with compilation error while compiling with jangaroo

Sakshi Tyagi

Jun 10, 2014, 3:38:10 AM6/10/14
to jangaro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

For a POC, I am trying to translate the attached files with Jangaroo.

Following are the steps that I followed:

1.) Install JRE7 and Maven3
2.) Create a folder structure as below:
       newchart-->bin
                    -->src-->main-->joo
                                        -->webapp
                    -->target
                    -->pom.xml
3.) Copy renderchart.as in joo folder.
4.) Create empty index.html file in webapp folder.
5.) At command line prompt, cd to the folder newapp
6.) run mvn compile

After running this command, the compilation fails at lines import mx.core.*
I tried compiling few other actionscript files and all of them failed for "import mx........". Is this the limitation of Jangaroo or have I missed anything??
The error is: Cannot find source for "mx............".

Please help.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Sakshi
renderchart.as
ChartInActionScript.mxml

Frank

Jun 10, 2014, 7:15:11 AM6/10/14
to jangaro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sakshi,

your setup seems perfectly right.
The problem is that Jangaroo does not support Flex, only ActionScript 3 and large parts of the Flash standard library (jooflash). All mx packages are part of Flex.
Since Flex is Open Source, if you are brave, you could get the source code of the Flex classes your application needs and try to compile these with Jangaroo, but you might end up with including lots of Flex classes and some might rely on language features or Flash API not supported by Jangaroo.
Or you could try out FalconJS / FalconJx, Apache Flex's way of compiling to JavaScript. But they also do not provide full Flex support if you target JavaScript.

Good luck!

Greetings
-Frank-

Sakshi Tyagi

Jun 11, 2014, 3:24:14 AM6/11/14
to jangaro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to compile action script files from the open flash chart library at url: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openflashchart/files/open-flash-chart/Version%202%20Lug%20Wyrm%20Charmer/ .

I did that using the same steps. But it was also showing the compilation error for mx packages.
In one of the posts, I got to know that you had done some changes and could compile it to get javascript files. Have you compiled the mx packages that this chart library is using?
The application that I will be working on is similar to that chart library. May I know the changes that you made in that chart library? My concern is just to know if I will be able to translate my application's actionscript files to javascript files or not using Jangaroo.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Sakshi

Frank

Jun 11, 2014, 4:40:32 AM6/11/14
to jangaro...@googlegroups.com
Ah, yes, Open Flash Chart!
Unfortunately, this is one of the few of my experiments I did not put online on Github. As there is no repository clone on Github, I was unsure whether I am allowed to provide a modified version there. I'll check the license and if it is possible, you will find my Jangaroo version of "Lyg Wyrm Charmer" online soon!
Regarding your questions, I don't remember how I solver the mx class usage problem, but probably just by copying the needed utility functions into the project. I'll check that.