the jane install

xiaodong

Jun 2, 2011, 10:41:21 PM6/2/11
to jane Users, david...@dfki.de
,
So far , we know there are three open soure Hierarchical Phrase-
based Translation engines, joshua, moses and Jane - The RWTH Aachen
University Hierarchical Phrase-based Translation Toolkit. we wanna
compare their performance. but when I install jane , there is a
question confused me. Though it is not suitable to discuss the
problem here , I hope that you givee me some help.

top@moses01:/media/sdb3/jane$ scons -j3 SRILIBV=standard COMPILE=debug
VERBOSE=full
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking whether the C++ compiler worksyes
error: no result
Checking whether the C++ compiler worksyes
error: no result
Checking for C++ library oolm... no
Error: The SRI LM Toolkit must be installed (under a "SRI" include
dir)

my jane directory:

top@moses01:/media/sdb3/jane$ ls
CHANGELOG Debug.h Doxyfile *.h lib README src zsh
config.log doc examples include LICENSE SConstruct SRI

lib directory is made by the command lines:

$ cp srilm/lib/i686/* :/media/sdb3/jane/lib
$ cd srilm/lib/i686_c
$ for i in *; do
> cp $i :/media/sdb3/jane/lib/${i/.a/_c.a}
> done

SRI directory is made by the command line:

cp srlm/include/* :/media/sdb3/jane/SRI

Are those right ?

thank you !

Jon Clark

Jun 3, 2011, 7:00:56 AM6/3/11
to jane-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

To be fair, there are at least 4 engines including cdec: cdec-decoder.org/index.php?title=Main_Page. Jane and cdec are fastest; not sure of their relative speed. Hierarchical moses is very very slow.

Jon

Hieu Hoang

Jun 7, 2011, 1:44:28 PM6/7/11
to jane-...@googlegroups.com, Jon Clark

ah, didn't think moses was that slow... The default params in cdec and jane are probably more suitable for scfg decoding than moses and account for the speed difference on the default settings.

I double checked speed against cdec. (didn't check it against jane, i'm sure xiadong will enlighten us in due course).

running with cdec's example model on chris' website, using the same cube-pruning and table pruning limit, moses' initial loading is slow, but decoding seems to be faster:
     cdec:       loading=21sec, decoding=215sec, total=236sec
     moses:    loading=66sec, decoding=157sec, total=223sec

it'll be good to have the details from xiadong once he's done