Glue suggestion

Kenneth Heafield

Jun 19, 2013, 2:15:00 PM6/19/13
to jane-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jane,

Section 8.3.1 of your manual says "In the standard formulation of the hierarchical phrase-based translation model two additional rules are added:"

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 # S # X~0 # X~0 # 1 1 1 1 1
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 # S # S~0 X~1 # S~0 X~1 # 1 1 1 1 1

I ran Moses and cdec on the same Hiero model and, after accounting for slight differences in feature definition, was puzzled as to why Moses found better hypotheses with the same cube pruning pop limit.  The difference came down to glue rule formulation.

The Jane manual and cdec effectively come with these glue rules:

S -> X
S -> S X
GOAL -> <s> S </s>

along with the hard-coded constraint that S -> X only applies for target-side position 0.

Moses and Joshua (after I converted Joshua to the Moses way) come with these glue rules:

S -> <s>
S -> S X
GOAL -> S </s>

    To confirm this intuition, I convinced cdec to run with the Moses glue grammar.  It improved from the blue curve to the green curve that you see in the attached plot.  The pop limits range from 25 to 1000.

Kenneth
glue.pdf