Developing the other parts in AROS?

Trevor Majula

Aug 1, 2013, 4:00:17 AM8/1/13
to jam...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to help out with building Jamiga using AROS? I notificed the emphasis of requiring AmigaOS 4.......does it still stand?. Oh and by the way, I would be developing on the AROS 1.5.2.

Joakim Nordström

Aug 1, 2013, 2:04:03 PM8/1/13
to jam...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trevor,

sorry that I haven't answered your other mail yet.

Well, the OS4 focus still stands, merely because I only have OS4. I don't know if anyone has managed to compile JAmiga2 on Aros recently.

JAmiga2 in essence consist of three parts: 1) the virtual machine, 2) the native libraries and 3) the classpath.

1) The virtual machine is currently the already existing JamVM. It is ported to AmigaOS 4, no other amiga port exists to my knowledge. There is also the original JAmiga VM, written form scratch by Peter Werno. This is what I try to call "JAmiga1", and the effort initiated by me, with JamVM is "JAmiga2". The JAmiga VM compiles for MOS, Aros and OS4, but it lacks a few features needed for the latest classpath.

2) The native libraries works for both JamVM and the JAmiga VM, and should be compilable for Aros

3) The Classpath is basically the Java files, and they should work regardless of VM (although they're very dependent on the native libraries).

I really can't give any quick hints, apart from reading the developer sections on jamiga2.googlecode.com, and browsing through the repository, trying to make stuff compile under Aros.

Furthermore, I have two different branches I need to merge. So the SVN is currently in a bit of a sad state. The trunk has all the "JAmiga1" stuff including new version of the native libraries. One branch, named "javanet", is where the latest jamvm stuff is.

I'm happy to answer any concrete questions, but I can't give general pointers on how to set stuff up -- my time is way too limited. Sorry about that.

Best regards,
Joakim

2013/8/1 Trevor Majula <seek.tha...@gmail.com>
Is it possible to help out with building Jamiga using AROS? I notificed the emphasis of requiring AmigaOS 4.......does it still stand?. Oh and by the way, I would be developing on the AROS 1.5.2.

Thore Sittly

Aug 1, 2013, 2:50:24 PM8/1/13
to jam...@googlegroups.com
When I find time, I will create a MorphOS port and have a look at the sources :)

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 01. August 2013 um 20:04 Uhr
Von: "Joakim Nordström" <joakim.n...@gmail.com>
An: "jam...@googlegroups.com" <jam...@googlegroups.com>
Betreff: Re: Developing the other parts in AROS?

Nick Andrews

Jan 27, 2014, 11:16:39 AM1/27/14
to jam...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joakim,

I am currently trying to build JAmiga for AROS and have some questions, but since they relate closely to this previous post I will ask them inline -:

On Thursday, 1 August 2013 19:04:03 UTC+1, Joakim Nordström wrote:
Well, the OS4 focus still stands, merely because I only have OS4. I don't know if anyone has managed to compile JAmiga2 on Aros recently.

JAmiga2 in essence consist of three parts: 1) the virtual machine, 2) the native libraries and 3) the classpath.

1) The virtual machine is currently the already existing JamVM. It is ported to AmigaOS 4, no other amiga port exists to my knowledge. There is also the original JAmiga VM, written form scratch by Peter Werno. This is what I try to call "JAmiga1", and the effort initiated by me, with JamVM is "JAmiga2". The JAmiga VM compiles for MOS, Aros and OS4, but it lacks a few features needed for the latest classpath.

Ive currently built jamiga/src/ as bin/Java - my understanding is this is the "old" JAmiga 0.0.6?, so I will instead need to build the code from jamvm/src ?

2) The native libraries works for both JamVM and the JAmiga VM, and should be compilable for Aros

I have built most of the native libraries, however javanet.library seems to be missing some files (in jamiga/java-net), and gnuclasspath.library (cant find "jvm.h" header?)

3) The Classpath is basically the Java files, and they should work regardless of VM (although they're very dependent on the native libraries).

Do the classpath files need to be compiled?

I really can't give any quick hints, apart from reading the developer sections on jamiga2.googlecode.com, and browsing through the repository, trying to make stuff compile under Aros.

Furthermore, I have two different branches I need to merge. So the SVN is currently in a bit of a sad state. The trunk has all the "JAmiga1" stuff including new version of the native libraries. One branch, named "javanet", is where the latest jamvm stuff is.

So really I need to be using the "R201_JAmigaNet" branch?

Joakim Nordström

Jan 27, 2014, 11:36:20 AM1/27/14
to jam...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick,

se answers inlined.

2014-01-27 Nick Andrews <kala...@gmail.com>
Hi Joakim,

1) The virtual machine is currently the already existing JamVM. It is ported to AmigaOS 4, no other amiga port exists to my knowledge. There is also the original JAmiga VM, written form scratch by Peter Werno. This is what I try to call "JAmiga1", and the effort initiated by me, with JamVM is "JAmiga2". The JAmiga VM compiles for MOS, Aros and OS4, but it lacks a few features needed for the latest classpath.

Ive currently built jamiga/src/ as bin/Java - my understanding is this is the "old" JAmiga 0.0.6?, so I will instead need to build the code from jamvm/src ?

Yep, that's correct.
And the jamvm code is the one from "trunk".

2) The native libraries works for both JamVM and the JAmiga VM, and should be compilable for Aros

I have built most of the native libraries, however javanet.library seems to be missing some files (in jamiga/java-net), and gnuclasspath.library (cant find "jvm.h" header?)

It should be in the SVN in the R201_JAmigaNet branch.

3) The Classpath is basically the Java files, and they should work regardless of VM (although they're very dependent on the native libraries).

Do the classpath files need to be compiled?

No, they shouldn't need to be compiled. You should be able to take the classpath from the latest JAmiga archive on os4depot. Look for classpath.lha and classes.lha in the AutoInstall script to see where they should be unpacked. The destinations are dependent on the JAmiga: assign, and references exist both in the java classes, and jamvm soruces.

Furthermore, I have two different branches I need to merge. So the SVN is currently in a bit of a sad state. The trunk has all the "JAmiga1" stuff including new version of the native libraries. One branch, named "javanet", is where the latest jamvm stuff is.

So really I need to be using the "R201_JAmigaNet" branch?

Yes, for the libraries. But jamvm should be built from "trunk". Like I wrote -- it's in a sad state. :/

I hope you get somewhere, and I'll try to move that branch into "trunk".

/Joakim

Nick Andrews

Jan 27, 2014, 4:02:45 PM1/27/14
to jam...@googlegroups.com
Ok Thanks, you've cleared up a lot of the things that gave me headaches =)

So I need to build the native libs from the branch, but jamvm from trunk.

I hope you get somewhere, and I'll try to move that branch into "trunk".

I do also ;) I have the "old" version built as already mentioned, so it shouldn't be too hard to get the newer code to work. Just for referece, I have the directory structured as such -:

/JAmiga2
/JAmiga2/bin
-- "java" currently built here, but this is where jamvm will go instead..
/JAmiga2/Classes/JAmiga
-- classpath etc classed
/JAmiga2/Libs
-- native libs

and an "AROS specific" *cough* package file in -:

/JAmiga2/S

Its just a basic script which adds bin to the path, adds the libs assign, and sets the CLASSPATH env variable. I'm not using the supplied makefile(s) since I'm building it within AROS's build system (to make it a bit easier to build for the other arch's we support), so using its mmakefile.src's and macros to build the components.

FWIW - If you do get to tidying up the code please remove the old jamiga binary related files - they confused me a lot ;p

Thanks very much for your reply.