Status update

Joakim Nordström

Jun 14, 2010, 3:17:01 PM6/14/10
to jamiga2
Hello everyone!
I thought I'd give an update on what's happening with JAmiga, since
there is a little bit more activity now. I have mostly been trying to
piece together what needs to be done, and I have also started on a
roadmap. You can see it in the Wiki.

Basically, the work now (milestone 1) is aimed at getting GNU
Classpath v 0.93 to run, fix issues in the VM itself (unimplemented
stuff, bugs, etc), and work on the Amiga-intergration (mainly the AWT
stuff that is already present). The plan is to make stubs for the code
needed, so its relatively clear what needs to be done. I choose the
Classpath 0.93 version since it is the last that has Java 1.4 support
separated. The GNU classpath support will also be moved to a separate
library, to make the intergration cleaner, and hopefully we will
someday have an OpenJDK library aswell.

Since I don't know how many developers is actually going to be working
on this, I can't give any sort of date on when to expect anything. I
hope that there will be more developers involved. I haven't gotten
many questions regarding building, but if you have any questions,
don't hesitate to ask them in this group. The aim is to be able to
build JAmiga by just checking out the code from SVN and type make.
There are also plans to support IDE's such as Cubic and Codebench with
project files.

The only requirement to start developing is C knowledge, and
willingness to learn Java. I am focusing on AmigaOS4, but would be
happy to see developers for other systems aswell (there are ready
targets for OS3, MOS and OS4). If you have any questions or comments,
please direct them to this group.

/Joakim

Gareth Murfin

May 1, 2014, 4:57:23 PM5/1/14
to jam...@googlegroups.com
Is this still active, part of me is hoping in the last 4 years you have been head down coding it all, but another part believes this project may have stalled :)

Joakim Nordström

May 5, 2014, 1:43:53 PM5/5/14
to jam...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

yes, the project is still active and on-going. Its going kind of slowly though, much due to things like ordinary life. I blog on my progress rather regularly at http://jamiga2.blogspot.se/ (also reachable using http://jamiga.org).

So, no, its not stalled. :-)

/Joakim