Game development for OS3.1

Gustaf Stechmann

Jan 29, 2014, 1:02:57 PM1/29/14
to jam...@googlegroups.com
hi all,

i am looking to develop a game for classic Amigas.

i want to use only oldschool java 1.2 functionality such as java.awt.Graphics, and only for blitting images to the screen. nothing fancy.

will jamiga allow me to do this?

are IFF or PNG images supported? with transparency?

will it be fast enough on an a1200?

thank you

Joakim Nordström

Jan 30, 2014, 3:48:11 PM1/30/14
to jam...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I can't remember if java.awt.Graphics is implemented, but looking at the intuition peer, it doesn't seem to be.

Furthermore, I haven't tried the OS3/68k VM for a long while... mostly focused on OS4. But I think the 68k version, with the (unchanged) state of AWT support was available in JAmiga 0.0.5. Don't know if its available as a binary, but the source is still downloadable from the sourceforge site: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jamiga/files/

I think that if your main objective is to create a game... you should stay away from JAmiga, unless the game is an excuse to develop in Java/JAmiga. :-) But then again, you could develop it on other platforms, and see what JAmiga can do with it.

Regarding speed... I'm not sure an unexpanded 1200 will be the best bet for a Java game. :-)

/Joakim

2014-01-29 Gustaf Stechmann <g...@gamesfoundation.com>

TheAM|gaOne

Jan 31, 2014, 3:51:52 AM1/31/14
to jam...@googlegroups.com
On an unexpanded A1200(even a 68030) Java will be slow, even if the interpreter used the Amiga Blitter there will be some time loss in the non-native memory mapping and little use of banging-the-metal. I'm an old Java programmer, but I preferred to learn AmigaC and use the GUIGFX/RenderLib for Workbench or fullscreen blitting which works on aga and CGX/P96 screens.

Gustaf Stechmann

Jan 31, 2014, 4:28:29 AM1/31/14
to jam...@googlegroups.com

thanks for the info guys.

the reason i was considering Java is because i have a lot of J2ME code floating around. i am also more familiar with Java than C.

is SDL in combination with SaS/C a viable option?

thanks

Am 31.01.2014 08:51 schrieb "TheAM|gaOne" <actio...@googlemail.com>:
On an unexpanded A1200(even a 68030) Java will be slow, even if the interpreter used the Amiga Blitter there will be some time loss in the non-native memory mapping and little use of banging-the-metal. I'm an old Java programmer, but I preferred to learn AmigaC and use the GUIGFX/RenderLib for Workbench or fullscreen blitting which works on aga and CGX/P96 screens.

TheAM|gaOne

Jan 31, 2014, 4:54:40 AM1/31/14
to jam...@googlegroups.com
I've tried SDL on classic Amiga and its not that speedy. I have developed a game engine(ValhallaEngine) which is programmed in C using GCC AmiDevCPP which is a windows based Amiga/Mos/68k/OS4 Cross-compiler system. I used SDL on the PC side and GUIGFX/RenderLib on the Amiga sdl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTIx9Wjg4kc    AmigaP96 Emulation using GUIGFX

Although I used the P96 under winuae, my engine did run on aga(and 128 / 64/32 colors) very smooth, the only secondary issue was the amount of Chip ram that my game was allocating where it run out so not all images loaded, so I had to redesign how my app allocs memory

Gustaf Stechmann

Jan 31, 2014, 6:25:43 AM1/31/14
to jam...@googlegroups.com

this looks really nice. would it make sense to use this engine in my own game?

i dont need much. just tiled backgrounds and BOBs with animation sheets. and a simple, well tested API that i can integrate without much hassle

my target system would be a1200 with 030 and os 3.1.

Gareth Murfin

May 1, 2014, 4:55:07 PM5/1/14
to jam...@googlegroups.com, g...@gamesfoundation.com
I have many java canvas based apps/games I would happily "port" to JAmiga, if and when awt is fully supported I will release them, I can hardly wait but im afraid this is too huge a project to ever happen :-(((