change the winning team?

Hans van Veldhuizen

Mar 13, 2023, 5:01:54 AM3/13/23
to jallist
Hello all,
Another new release!! I must say that with all these innovations I am getting bigger and bigger problems. If I want to make some changes to a well-functioning program from a few years ago, I still can't do it after hours of adjusting
. Over the years I have purchased a lot of books that I have had a lot of fun with, but with the new releases, none of them can be used anymore.
I now have a separate folder on my PC where I keep complete old releases. Unfortunately, I lost some things.
I've always had a lot of fun with JAL but that's changing.
So I wonder if I'm the only one with this problem.
regards
Hans
20230313_093157[1].jpg

Matthew Schinkel

Mar 13, 2023, 10:38:49 AM3/13/23
to jallist
Looks like those are Bert's books, that used Bert's libraries. They are not compatible with Jallib. Does he keep his libraries up to date? If you had tried to make a Bert library work with Jallib, it would take you hours to fix.

We try to keep Jallib backwards compatible. We must continue to improve it. Seems our product and community is better than ever.

Matt.

Hans van Veldhuizen

Mar 13, 2023, 11:52:21 AM3/13/23
to jallist
Hi Matt,
In addition to Bert's books, I also downloaded jallib's manuals and Peter Zwart's book.
After that I made quite a few programs with Jallib. Lately it's been difficult for me to adapt the somewhat older jallib programs.
  Fortunately I found some old Jallib packages and I could easily make the changes with them. Like the package from 26-09-2019 for example.
  regards
Hans

Rob CJ

Mar 13, 2023, 2:15:18 PM3/13/23
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

In all the years of using JAL I experienced only once that a program did not work after a new release. I think it was because of a change in a device files (which might have been an improvement or fix).

As Matt says, Bert made his own libraries that work for his projects. The JAL libraries are generic, not explicitly tuned for a certain application. This means that you can use the libraries for all your projects not for Bert-only projects. I do understand why Bert made these otherwise the project might be more complex to build.

Another advantage of the generic JAL libraries is that if your program works for one PIC it will also work for another PIC. Sometimes this is not true and then the library is updated so that supports newer PICs too.

In care cases it might be that a library needs to be updated which may result in a breaking change. To give one example (which is not implemented btw). I recently learned from Matt that when you make a library, the user should define the interface pins and include the used communication library like Serial or SPI. I did not know that (it is in de style guide). In the past I always included these libraries in the other library. To give an example. I made the DS3231 library and it includes IIC hardware or IIC software (selectable by the user) but this should not be done since it reduces the flexibility of the library and of the user. I could change this library and remove the inclusion of the IIC interface (and adapt the sample files) but if a user that has already used this library he/she/it will be confronted with a breaking change. So I will not make the change but the library is not as it should be (new libraries now follow the right implementation). In case someone runs into problems with this library because of this limitation, then I would update it.

Kind regards,

Rob

Mar 13, 2023, 2:19:01 PM3/13/23
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

See my previous answer. I am interested in your program that works with a JAL release of 2019 and that does not work with the latest JAL release.

Are you willing to share your program with me? I would like to understand what happened and can explain it. Maybe I can also fix it for you.

Thanks

Kind regards,

Rob

As Matt says, Bert made his own libraries that work for his projects. The JAL libraries are generic, not explicitly tuned for a certain application. This means that you can use the libraries for all your projects not for Bert-only projects. I do understand why Bert made these otherwise the project might be more complex to build.

That was exactly the reason I wrote my book. I learned a lot of Bert but you get problems making your own project because then you can’t use the Bert-libs. And it means: you have to discover the real JAL. But it is worth.

Regards,

Peter

Hans van Veldhuizen

Mar 14, 2023, 11:12:57 AM3/14/23
to jallist
I had a habit of saving both the application and my work together. . Both my old C64 cases, the C-control, the first package I received from Wouter and all packages from Bert. That way I can easily adjust old things that I enjoy so much.
For Jallib I always just replaced the libs and samples and left all projects.
I have now sorted things out again and saved my older work with the package I made it with at the time.