Update of Tutorial Book?

rob...@hotmail.com

Feb 14, 2022, 1:05:27 PMFeb 14
to jallist
  Hi all,

I am planning to update the tutorial book to bring it more in line with the current status of JAL. I want to keep it as much as possible as it is but some stuff that I am planning to change are:
- Mention PicKit2, PicKit3, Snap and PicKit4 as programmers. Remove older ones
- Mention MPLABX IPE as programmer software
- Update ADC (library has changed)
- Adding some new libraries for external devices like DFPlayer, Si5351, SSD1306, etc.
- Adding some JAL libraries like large array

My questions to you.

Are you OK with removing some old stuff?
Are there any specific items you are currently missing and would like to see in a new version of the Tutorial Book?

Thanks

Kind regards,

Rob

FraserSmith51

Mar 1, 2022, 12:59:46 PMMar 1
to jallist
Hi Rob

Apologies for the slow response. Old stuff that is no longer relevent should certainly be removed.

If you are mentioning the various PICkits then it's worth pointing out that some of the older PICkit 4 programmers can fry older chips (https://www.microchip.com/forums/m1121464.aspx) unless a 100R resistor is put between the programmer and the Vpp pin. I think newer PICkit 4s have sorted this internally. There is also the PICKitPlus (https://pickitplus.co.uk/Typesetter/) hardware/software. These use an updated device file.dat called PKPlusDeviceFile.dat that has the definitions for newer chips. If that file is renamed to PK2DeviceFile.dat and put into the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\PICkit 3 v3”to replace the existing file then it works very well as far as I can see. I still use that PICkit 3 standalone program. It lurks near the bottom of the page at https://www.microchip.com/en-us/tools-resources/archives/mplab-ecosystem. It's very simple and easy to use.

One thing that may be attractive to some is a tutorial on how to use the WS2812 addressable RGB LEDs. I see that we have several library files for these devices but an example would make them much more attractive.

Many thanks for your efforts with this.

Fraser

Rob CJ

Mar 2, 2022, 12:59:19 PMMar 2
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fraser,

Thanks for the info. Interesting material. Luckily I do not have a pickit 4 but a snap progammer.

About the WS2812. I used one of the sample programs made by Rob H some time ago. I had some issues getting it working but Rob H made an update of some of the libraries.

So there are some sample programs available in Jallib using USART, SPI and software, it is mandatory for each library to have at least one sample program.

Kind regards,

Rob

Mar 12, 2022, 6:14:29 AMMar 12
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fraser,

I downloaded the file you mentioned and placed it in the PICKit3 directory and renamed PKPlusDeviceFile.dat to PK2DeviceFile.dat.

After starting the standalone PICKit3 software I did not notice any difference. The number of PICs to program was still very limited.

For example I could not select a PIC16F1455.

What difference did you notice?

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Rob

Mar 12, 2022, 8:40:51 AMMar 12
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fraser,

You can forget my previous e-mail. I had renamed the file but made a typo so it did not read it.

I can now also program a PIC16F1455 with the standalone PICKit3 software.

Thanks for the hint.

Kind regards,

Rob