Visual Studio Code Extension for JAL Released to Marketplace

Sunish Issac

Apr 13, 2021, 11:03:10 AM4/13/21
to jal...@googlegroups.com, jal...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

It's been a long time since I wanted to do this extension for JAL to replace Jaledit.

One of the main problems that had to be solved was cross platform compatibility which is now possible through vscode.
With real big jal include files, Jaledit was crawling and there were issues with file association and permission which resulted in crashing of jaledit on editor preferences unless it warun with admin rights

This is not a perfect solution yet as there are many more features to be implemented to have all functionality of jaledit.

But the following features work very well
  • Syntax Highlighting
  • Fast opening and saving of files irrespective of the size.
  • Linux and Windows support
  • Code folding
  • Auto completion ( More work needs to be done to have functions/procedures included from include files)
  • Code Snippets ( Only very few are added, but not very difficult to add)
  • Compiling to Hex file
  • Ctrl-Click to go to error line ( It doesn't go automatically)
  • Searching/Replacing any word within files and across folder
  • Direct Github Push/Pull/Diff other commands
  • Side by side View and file comparison
  • Theme selection/switching
  • Folder/explorer view

Some of the main features not in the extension
  • Code Explorer for include files,procedures,functions,variables,constants,aliases
  • Opening include files with Ctrl-Enter
  • Auto Backup with time stamp/compilation
  • Backup project as zip file
  • Go to error line after compilation
  • Running programmer on successful build
  • Serial Terminal
  • Compile/Program buttons/keys
  • Detecting PIC name from code and passing it as variable to Programmer executable
  • Set file as Active JAL file and compile that irrespective of file you are editing
Requirements & Installation Process:
  1. Download,install and run Visual studio code from  https://code.visualstudio.com/download
  2. Press Ctrl-Shit-X to invoke the Extensions and search for JAL (or trying to open a JAL file will also prompt to install the extension)
  3. Click Install to add the extension to vscode
  4. Set the path to your jal compiler exe and library file path by clicking the gear icon in extension manager and selecting Extension Settings (It's also possible by going to editor preferences and searching for JAL)
  5. Press Ctrl-Shift-P and Type/select "Tasks:Open User Tasks''.
  6. Select Others (Example to run arbitrary command).
  7. In the opened tasks.json paste the following code
    {
        // prefilled tasks.json for compiling a JAL file
        "version""2.0.0",
        "tasks": [
            {
                "label""Compile JAL File",
                "type""process",
                "command""${config:jal.paths.exePath}",
                "args": [
                    "${file}",
                    "-s",
                    "${config:jal.paths.LibPath}"
                ],
                "presentation": {
                    "reveal""always",
                    "panel""new"
                },
                "problemMatcher": [],
                "group": {
                    "kind""build",
                    "isDefault"true
                }
            }
        ]
    }
  8. Open any JAL file and press Ctrl-Shift-B to build the JAL file and you are ready to rock !

Code of the extension is fully open source and can be pulled/cloned from GitHub - sunishnet/vscode-jal: A VS Code extension for JAL
Visual studio code marketplace link for JAL Jal - Visual Studio Marketplace

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Off late the activity in our community is very less except for very people like Rob, I guess, most are on Arduino/ESP/ST.
How many know that Arduino Project was started in JAL  by Massimo who was one of the jallist members.

I'm not sure how many of us are there from the days of Wouters' JAL, but would like to say hi to those lurkers sharing the nostalgia :-) .

Kind regards,

Sunish

Rob CJ

Apr 14, 2021, 2:22:39 AM4/14/21
to jal...@googlegroups.com, jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sunish,

Great work!

I used this and it works very well. It makes the programming life also easier since the Intellisense feature of Visual Studio Code gives you hints while programming so you can quickly select the right procedure, function, variable or constant that you used earlier.

And now JAL also supports Linux  users better 🙂.

Kind regards,

Rob

Apr 16, 2021, 1:45:30 AM4/16/21
to jal...@googlegroups.com, jal...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Rob and Mario for your feedback. In Yahoo jallist we had around 2000 members, now it's less than 50 I think.

So not many users to try the new extension.

Regards,
Sunish

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021, 1:45 am Mario Cuéllar, <maacue...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks! It's great.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "jallib" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jallib/AM0PR07MB6241F7B890014D70402C0985E64E9%40AM0PR07MB6241.eurprd07.prod.outlook.com.

Hans van Veldhuizen

Apr 16, 2021, 5:43:58 AM4/16/21
to jallist

Hi sunish,
This looks great and i have reached your point 4 and i see  a loaded file. But now i do not understand how i can make the links (extensions) to my compiler and files. Pleas can give you a lttle more info?

Rob CJ

Apr 16, 2021, 11:49:14 AM4/16/21
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

I wrote a short document on how to install and configure the JAL extension for Visual Studio Code.

See attachment.

Kind regards,

Rob

Apr 16, 2021, 1:00:17 PM4/16/21
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Rob, for providing the instructions, was planning to make a GIF but you already shared with screenshots

Thanks,
Sunish

Hans van Veldhuizen

Apr 16, 2021, 1:50:32 PM4/16/21
to jallist
Oeps, I have made it now !!!!!! Now i need coffee !!!! Thanks Sunish and Rob. Great
regards
Hans

Rob CJ

Apr 17, 2021, 5:45:22 AM4/17/21
to jal...@googlegroups.com, jal...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I added this json.tasks file to GitHub and added a Wiki page for the Visual Studio Code extension.

Kind regards,

Rob

Apr 17, 2021, 10:13:15 AM4/17/21
to jal...@googlegroups.com, jal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rob,

It's helpful and convenient.

BTW the jaldocs folder and programmer path is not currently not relevant as its a future planned feature.

Should I remove it ?

Regards,
Sunish