Wisp648

hans

Jul 23, 2022, 2:29:44 AM7/23/22
to jallib
Hello,
So far I have worked with the wisp648 whenever possible. The Wisp648 has the huge advantage for me that it can be controlled directly from the Jal editor. I wonder if there are more that can work like this.
regards
Hans

Rob CJ

Jul 23, 2022, 4:13:57 AM7/23/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

The PICKit2 (and I assume the PICkit3) software has a command line interface so it may be possible to control that from JALEdit but I never used it.

Maybe there are people on this forum that have used it like this and can share how to do that.

Kind regards,

Rob

Jul 23, 2022, 4:26:19 AM7/23/22
to jallib
Hi Rob,
I always use the PICKIT separately but I got questions about it. Does the K150 say anything? I've tried to get it to work but there's always a problem with the driver.
regards
Hans

Evan Venn

Jul 23, 2022, 4:42:49 AM7/23/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Stated Interest.  I develop and sell PICKitPlus.

A PK2 or PK3 has commandline software for Windows, Pi3&4 and Linux.  If the commandline software fails, if it did as I would be very surprised, we could revise our program to meet specific needs.

Summary.. PICKitPlus should work well.

Jul 24, 2022, 3:33:34 AM7/24/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

What is a K150?

I - almost - always use a PICKit3 for programming, sometime using the PICKit3 software and sometimes using the IPE software from MPLABX. When using the MPLABX it needs a different firmware and when switching back to the PICKit3 software it needs again the old firmware. My solution: I have 2 PICKit3 one for the PICKit3 software and on for the IPE MPLABX software. It was not intended that way but a long time ago something went wrong with my PICKit3 while it was download the programming software for a certain PIC. I then needed to re-program the PICKit3 itseld and for that .... you need a programmer.

BTW. I added to use of the IPE MPLABX software for a PICKit3 to the Jallib Tutorial some time ago. The disadvantage is that this IPE software is very slow so it you can use the PICKit3 software stay with that.

And if you want your PICKit2 to be able to program more PIC's you can follow the suggestions made earlier or go for Evan's PICKitplus software.

Kind regards,

Rob

Verzonden: zaterdag 23 juli 2022 10:26
Aan: jallib <jal...@googlegroups.com>
Onderwerp: Re: [jallib] Wisp648

Sunish Issac

Jul 27, 2022, 8:24:59 AM7/27/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Jaledit can program using Pickit 2 and 3. You will need to install IPE.

Create a batch file and paste the code - Change the path to reflect your computer's IPE installation
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLABX\v5.20\mplab_platform\mplab_ipe\pk3cmd.exe"  -TPPK3 -P%1 -MPIC -F%2 -OL
@if ERRORLEVEL 1 pause

In jaledit you will have to set the path to the batch file and pass %D %F   for the PIC name and file name respectively.
the /V5 is to force Pickit to provide 5V supply

image.png

 Regards,
Sunish

hans

Jul 27, 2022, 11:16:30 AM7/27/22
to jallib
Hi Sunish,
This sounds great ! I have never made a batch file and use the Pickit not for providing 5 Volt\
The IPE is in the regular program file, not in (86), i have foud the same files you mentioned.
. Please give me an example how to make the batch file.
Thanks
Hans

hans

Jul 28, 2022, 2:56:26 AM7/28/22
to jallib
Hi Sunish,
I have made my first batch:

@ECHO OFF
Echo Gefeliciteerd
PAUSE

"C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPLABX\v5.45\mplab_platform\mplab_ipe\pk3cmd.exe" -TPPK3 -P%1 -MPIC -F%2 -OL
@if ERRORLEVEL 1 pause

It works but gives an error message ;

Gefeliciteerd
Press any key to continue . . .
Illegal command line parameter T
Press any key to continue . . .

vsurducan

Jul 28, 2022, 7:12:20 AM7/28/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
"Gefeliciteerd"
seems ok for me. :)

BTW, if you use pickit4, you will need anyway to install the IPE to change the supply voltage, then to plug and unplug and plug again the pickit until IPE sees it...then fortunately to program something.  Never leave it in the USB when you start the computer if you do not want to send it to Microchip irish office for reflashing the Atmel inside or exchanging with a new one... Pickit4 needs to behave with it as you'll do with eggs. On the opposite of Pickit2/3 which can be reflashed at home...
best wishes

hans

Jul 28, 2022, 9:50:34 AM7/28/22
to jallib
Tested from  jaledit , it opened the batch  and teh same eror message :
C:\Users\Gebruiker\Desktop>"C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPLABX\v5.45\mplab_platform\mplab_ipe\pk3cmd.exe"  -TPPK3 -Pport -MPIC -Fcom5 -OL

Illegal command line parameter T
Press any key to continue . . .

hans

Jul 28, 2022, 9:56:02 AM7/28/22
to jallib
Have tested if it works from mplab as i have done until now : (start mplab, load hex file and program,) works perfect

Rob CJ

Jul 28, 2022, 1:20:18 PM7/28/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have two related questions to this subject. Sunish has made this beautiful JAL extension for Visual Studio Code which I nowadays use for all my JAL developments. There have been some recent updates of Visual Studio Code that eases programming by for example detecting and indicating missing closing brackets.

Did anybody of you ever tried to use Visual Studio Code in combination with a programmer using a commandl ine or script for the PICKit3?

Normally I create my program in Visual Studio Code and compile it from within Visual Studio code using ctrl-shift-b and I use the PICkit3 standalone software in the 'auto reload/program' mode so that when a new hexfile is generated it automatically reprograms my PIC.  This works very fast.

I do believe that if I would use a command line interface and start the programmer from Visual Studio Code that it will be slower since it needs to restart the programmer software each time I want to use it. Or is there another way to do that?

Thanks

Kind regards,

Rob

Verzonden: donderdag 28 juli 2022 15:56

Aan: jallib <jal...@googlegroups.com>

Evan Venn

Jul 28, 2022, 2:02:15 PM7/28/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

We can share our work with VSCode to create GCSTUDIO. We have written the scripting interface and should you decide to leverage our work then this may save months of work.  Our development of GCSTUDIO started in January and we are just completing (scripts, helpers, snippets,  autocomplete etc etc)

Your call, of course.
Jul 29, 2022, 1:07:09 PM7/29/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Evan,

Thanks for the info. I do not know GCSTUDIO so not sure how to apply it to the question I had.

I was just wondering if there where people that have tried some kind of integration using Visual Studio Code with a programmer.

I know that Sunish made a field for it but I never tried it. Maybe I should do that first.

Kind regards,

Rob

Jul 29, 2022, 1:14:49 PM7/29/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Yes, we have completed that integration work.  We support all the programmers that we have always supported. We can share how we did this.
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2022 7:07:07 PM

hans

Jul 30, 2022, 9:54:02 AM7/30/22
to jallib
Hello,
  I still haven't managed to control the Pickit3 with that batch file.
I have now gone back to the old way, loading the old ones with the Wisp648 and the newer one the hex with Pickit3.
  If I've done something wrong, I'd like to hear about it.
Thank you
regards
Hans

Evan Venn

Jul 30, 2022, 11:39:52 AM7/30/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
You could try moving across to pickitplus and then it would be a lot faster and consistent with support across the range of supported chips whilst still using the pk3.

Rob CJ

Jul 30, 2022, 1:39:21 PM7/30/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

I cannot send a batch file since it is blocked by Outlook. Create a batchfile e.g. called pic_program.bat with the following content:

Echo off
REM PICkit3 batch file for programming from JALEdit.
Echo Programming Device %1 from file %2 ...
"C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPLABX\v6.00\mplab_platform\mplab_ipe\pk3cmd.exe" -P%1 -F%2 -MPIC

On JALEdit you have to set the following for the programmer:

If you program it from JALEdit you will see this:

Good Luck!

Kind regards,

Rob

Verzonden: zaterdag 30 juli 2022 15:54

hans

Jul 30, 2022, 3:41:57 PM7/30/22
to jallib
Great Rob !!!

 It works perfect. See the difference with what i had before.:

Files\Microchip\MPLABX\v5.45\mplab_platform\mplab_ipe\pk3cmd.exe"  -TPPK3 -Pport -MPIC -Fcom5 -OL
with now

Echo off

REM PICkit3 batch file for programming from JALEdit.

Echo Programming Device %1 from file %2 ...

"C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPLABX\v5.45\mplab_platform\mplab_ipe\pk3cmd.exe" -P%1 -F%2 -MPIC

Thanks

Hans

vsurducan

Jul 31, 2022, 1:48:54 AM7/31/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Evan, I never regretted that move with pk2. :)
However, Pickit 4 is definitely much faster ( and much more expensive). Actually nowadays it seems that electronic IC's have become really valuable...
best,

On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 6:39 PM 'Evan Venn' via jallib <jal...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
You could try moving across to pickitplus and then it would be a lot faster and consistent with support across the range of supported chips whilst still using the pk3.

hans

Jul 31, 2022, 2:12:52 AM7/31/22
to jallib
Hi Rob,
If I want to know more about the commands (-P%1 -F%2 -MPIC), where should I look?
regards
Hans

evan....@googlemail.com

Jul 31, 2022, 2:14:55 AM7/31/22
to jallib
The PK2 is still a great programmer.  Comes with Logic Analyser and Serial /Usart tester.  For the price it is still good.

We are just about to release Pi PHAT.  A programmer for the Pi.  So, easy to use based upon the same database we use for the PK2.

I have genuine PK2's available if any one wants a Pk2.

Rob CJ

Jul 31, 2022, 2:56:01 AM7/31/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans.

Good to hear that it works.

The %1 and %2 are from DOS (Windows), where %1 is the first paramater that you pass to the batch file and %2 is the second paramter.

So when using pic_program 12f683 12f618_thermostaat.hex you pass 12683 as the first parameter and the hexfile as second parameter. And from JALEdit the first parameter is given to the batch file by %D (device) and the second one by %N (hexfile without quotes).

The commmands for the pickit3 software are given when you start the pickit3 software with the argument -? which shows a helpfile. You can also find it here:
Release Notes for PICkit 3 Command Line Interface MPLAB® IDE v8.73 Software and Firmware versions: MPPICkit3.dll v1.0.1.49 PK3CMD.exe v1.00.12 PICkit 3 Suite (OS/FW) v1.26.65 (PK3FW_012665.jam) June 24, 2011 ----- Table of Contents ----- 1.
Kind regards,

Rob

Verzonden: zondag 31 juli 2022 08:12

Aan: jallib <jal...@googlegroups.com>

hans

Jul 31, 2022, 5:45:03 AM7/31/22
to jallib
Hi Rob,
I just keep leaning against your knowledge and just trying to make those little black bugs work for me. I don't understand what goes on inside those things either, but it's still great fun.
Thank you
regards
Hans
PS Henk Zeeman is well known to me