Lirary for TM1637.

RobJ

Jun 27, 2020, 9:57:32 AM6/27/20
to jallib
Hi all,

I created a library for the TM1637.

For more info (with video) see: http://www.justanotherlanguage.org:3389/node/320

The library will be available in the next bee package.

Kind regards,

Rob

Jun 28, 2020, 3:25:06 AM6/28/20
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Very nice looking Rob!
I like the dimming feature. One big problem with 7seg remains typing the "w" ...from "hello word". :)
Now it can be very easy to implement a frequency/volt/ampere meter with an 8 pin pic.
Perhaps you knew this feature was used in the initial jal with serial to parallel converter (like 74HC595), I think I still have that library somewhere.
good job!

Rob CJ

Jun 28, 2020, 8:30:06 AM6/28/20
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hello V,

Thanks. There is one thing I still need to test and that is with a module. I also ordered a module with six 7-segment displays and I need to check if the order of the displays is the same as what I built with the separate chip and the separate displays on my breadboard but I assume they are.

I have worked with the 74HC595 before in one of my PIC projects, even using the same 7-segment displays. If you are interested have a look at: https://www.instructables.com/id/RF-Thermostat/

The following video shows the first set-up with the RF Thermostat on a prototype board and the RF Panel Relay on a breadboard. It demonstrates switching the RF Thermostat on and switching the RF Panel Relay on by increasing the desired temperature on the RF Thermostat.
Of course the advantage of the TM1637 is that you do not need the current limiting resistors for the LEDs and you get the keyboard functionality for free, saving pins on your PIC.

I am also waiting for other components to arrive to test the following libraries:
-) DFPlayer
-) SSD1306 (I2C + SPI version)
-) nRF905

I have started working on a library for the Si5351 but that may require some more time. It is not that straight forward as I thought it would be.

Kind regards,

Rob

Jun 28, 2020, 10:11:28 AM6/28/20
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,

The RF transmitter for your thermostat is interesting and perhaps useful.
However, I would avoid using any low power RF signal around me, except for the moments I really need to use the smartphone for data/WIFi/bluetooth etc.

There is scientific evidence with perhaps more than 1000 published scientific papers  (I'm working in this field for about 20-30 years now) that low power RF signals, far below the levels causing the thermal effect explained by SAR (specific absorption rate), are causing weird and unexpected problems to both plants and rats (please read also humans). Those power density levels are near and below 10mW/m2 which is extremely low.

If you're able to send short bursts of RF signals Manchester encoded followed by long periods of RF silence, that's ok but either I'll not stay all day near any kind of transmitter: GSM phone with WiFi and mobile data permanently connected, near any laptop with Wifi turned permanently on or never use a handsfree Bluetooth (not talking about bluetooth headset).

If you are interested in this field please take a look at the recent two papers we wrote (but you may read hundreds of papers with pro&con conclusions as I already told):
thx,
Vasile

Matthew Schinkel

Jun 28, 2020, 11:36:34 AM6/28/20
to jallib
Hi, for multiple seven segment displays, use the library seven_segment_multiplexer.jal, or sample 18f4620_seven_segment_multiplexer.jal

Maybe you don't need TM1637. What is the benefit to using it?

Matt.

Jun 28, 2020, 12:15:45 PM6/28/20
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Matt, two IOs from PIC allows interfacing the display and the keyboard. Clever. Page 8.

Rob CJ

Jun 28, 2020, 1:59:35 PM6/28/20
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

As V already replied only 2 pins are  needed to control six 7 segment displays and handle 16 keys and no timer is needed for multiplexing. Next to that also no current limiting resistors are needed for the LED displays.

Next to that the library was one of the requests.

Kind regards,

Rob

Verzonden: zondag 28 juni 2020 18:15
Aan: jal...@googlegroups.com <jal...@googlegroups.com>
Onderwerp: Re: [jallib] Re: Lirary for TM1637.

Matt Schinkel

Jun 28, 2020, 2:01:14 PM6/28/20
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Ok yes, it's always good to save pins. I guess it depends on your application since there are surface mount PICs with more pins. Seems good for us hobbiests using breadboards :)

Matt.

Sent from my Android device.

Jun 29, 2022, 10:42:41 AM6/29/22
to jallib
Hi Rob and all,

I wonder about the comment in the header of the lib stating that the capacitors on DIO and CLK lines should be removed from the modules, while the TM1637 datasheet mentions that two 100 pF should be placed on those lines.
Why whould I need to remove them ?

Thanks for your opinions, and have a nice day

David

Rob CJ

Jun 29, 2022, 1:31:29 PM6/29/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I do not remember anymore but I think I read it somewhere. I do see in the init function that there are pull-up resistors on the module and if you also have capacitors on those line that may impact the speed.

I did find this which also says that the capacitors may impact the speed.

You can try if it works with or without the capacitors.

Kind regards,

Rob

Jul 5, 2022, 12:35:45 PM7/5/22
to jallib

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that quick answer.   I will try with and without those capacitors, but it is still strange that they appear to be mandatory if you red the datasheet....
Anyway, thanks, and I'll keep you posted

Kind regards,

David

vsurducan

Jul 5, 2022, 2:47:20 PM7/5/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
I've looked at the datasheet but never worked with this chinese IC.
As is written, "100pF is used to reduce radio interference to communication ports".

The values of the pull-up resistors and the capacitor are influencing the rising and falling edges of the CLK and data signals. If capacitors are bigger, the rising time will be longer. When such a requirement appears in a datasheet, it might be a problem of oscillations on the bus which can be reduced  by placing capacitors, but not necessarily to be so. You have to check with a scope if your bus looks well or not.

The connection  length between IC and your microcontroller may be important. So, if you do not have a software problem ( which is most plausible to be) try to use twisted wires clk+gnd, dio+gnd without 100pF capacitors and 10K pullups near the TM1637.  Reducing the pullup to 5k1 may help.