Custom toolbar ?

Sebastien Lelong

Mar 24, 2012, 5:49:37 AM3/24/12
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sunish,

I was wondering if it could be possible to define a custom toolbar in JalEdit, in which users could specify which action to perform when clicking on buttons. I'm still thinking about a JalEdit for Jaluino package :)

Correct me if I'm wrong: though it's possible to specifiy parameters to compilers & programmers, it's not possible (easily) to select predefined configurations. Use case would be, for instance, compile this jal code for PicKit2 programmer (no -loader/bootloader option), compile for PDFUSB bootloader (with -loader 2048 option), etc... I tried to do the same with JaluinoIDE, based on Editra, with more or less difficulties....

With a external text file, defining these configurations, JalEdit could display a custom toolbar with custom, user defined actions. We'd need common variables, such as %COMPILER%, %JALFILE%, %OUTPUT%, etc... so user can define a configuration based on JalEdit and its context while running.

What do you think about this ?

Cheers
Seb
--
Sébastien Lelong

vasi vasi

Mar 24, 2012, 10:28:32 AM3/24/12
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Seb,

Take a look at fxite.

"FXiTe is an advanced cross-platform text editor. It features built-in syntax highlighting for 40+ languages, an embedded Lua scripting engine, macro recording and playback, multi-line regular expression search and replace, rudimentary ctags and calltip support, a flexible interface to external tools, and a built-in "message window" to capture the output of external commands such as compiler error messages, etc. FXiTe is built using the Fox GUI toolkit and the FXScintilla text widget. "

It is crossplatform.
--
Vasi

Sunish Issac

Mar 24, 2012, 10:52:42 AM3/24/12
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hello Seb,

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Sebastien Lelong <sebastie...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Sunish,

I was wondering if it could be possible to define a custom toolbar in JalEdit, in which users could specify which action to perform when clicking on buttons. I'm still thinking about a JalEdit for Jaluino package :)

Yes, possible. I think the toolbar needs a revamp. Bigger buttons, with just commonly used functions and one or 2 custom buttons. It was designed to cater even 800*600 resolution and windows 95.

Correct me if I'm wrong: though it's possible to specifiy parameters to compilers & programmers, it's not possible (easily) to select predefined configurations. Use case would be, for instance, compile this jal code for PicKit2 programmer (no -loader/bootloader option), compile for PDFUSB bootloader (with -loader 2048 option), etc... I tried to do the same with JaluinoIDE, based on Editra, with more or less difficulties....

That's also planned. An option to select and save the entire configuration shown in all tabs of environment options.

With a external text file, defining these configurations, JalEdit could display a custom toolbar with custom, user defined actions. We'd need common variables, such as %COMPILER%, %JALFILE%, %OUTPUT%, etc... so user can define a configuration based on JalEdit and its context while running.

What do you think about this ?

Great practical ideas .

Have a great day !

Sunish

Sunish Issac

Mar 24, 2012, 10:54:40 AM3/24/12
to jal...@googlegroups.com
If its cross platform and easily customizable, should we try to create a custom editor for jal/jaluino ?
can we bundle it like jalpack ?

Sunish

vasi vasi

Mar 24, 2012, 11:40:59 AM3/24/12
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Being open source, everything is possible. FOXToolkit library used for GUI, is available under Windows, Mac and all Linux/Unix flavors. But is easily customizable at user level.
For JAL syntax highlight, it is required a modification at source level (easy task) then, create executables for Win, Mac, and sources for Linux/Unix.
Not hard for Seb.
--
Vasi

vasi vasi

Mar 24, 2012, 11:42:29 AM3/24/12
to jal...@googlegroups.com

Sebastien Lelong

Mar 24, 2012, 2:09:39 PM3/24/12
to jal...@googlegroups.com
About fxite: same pros and same cons as Editra. Everything is possible, it's only a matter of lack of time. Note if having jal syntax within editor means changing something in source code, then it's not well designed and it also means having changes integrated to original sources, or fork. Not good...

I've kind of given up with IDE, I guess this isn't my job now (though it was an interesting experience). I like JalEdit in the way it provides a fully IDE including serial terminal (though I'd prefer to have its window as non modal), an important feature that my JaluinoIDE lacks. Yes, it's currently not cross-platform, but AFAIC I'm using vim under Linux, no GUI app... I'd be happy to help JalEdit project if I can.

Anyway, Vasi, I'd be happy to see your progress on integrating Jal with FXite, and have a dedicated package for Jaluino :)

Cheers,
Seb

2012/3/24 vasi vasi <fun...@gmail.com>

--
Sébastien Lelong

Sebastien Lelong

Mar 24, 2012, 2:12:31 PM3/24/12
to jal...@googlegroups.com

2012/3/24 Sunish Issac <sunis...@gmail.com>

Yes, possible. I think the toolbar needs a revamp. Bigger buttons, with just commonly used functions and one or 2 custom buttons. It was designed to cater even 800*600 resolution and windows 95.

I remember one of my first post on jallist (if not my first) was about reporting JalEdit working under wine. Some recent apps looks nice under wine (picasa for instance), maybe a refresh would also help to have it running nice under Linux.

Correct me if I'm wrong: though it's possible to specifiy parameters to compilers & programmers, it's not possible (easily) to select predefined configurations. Use case would be, for instance, compile this jal code for PicKit2 programmer (no -loader/bootloader option), compile for PDFUSB bootloader (with -loader 2048 option), etc... I tried to do the same with JaluinoIDE, based on Editra, with more or less difficulties....

That's also planned. An option to select and save the entire configuration shown in all tabs of environment options.

but do you mean having several entire configuration ?

With a external text file, defining these configurations, JalEdit could display a custom toolbar with custom, user defined actions. We'd need common variables, such as %COMPILER%, %JALFILE%, %OUTPUT%, etc... so user can define a configuration based on JalEdit and its context while running.

What do you think about this ?

Great practical ideas .

Have a great day !

Great