Ambassadors' Jakarta EE 11 Contributor Guide

Reza Rahman

Dec 3, 2022, 4:10:39 PM12/3/22
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions, jakartaee-platform developer discussions
Folks,

The Jakarta EE Ambassadors are looking to publish an updated Jakarta EE
11 Contributor Guide early next year. Here is the current draft based on
consensus amongst the Jakarta EE Ambassadors Leadership Council:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BJyOP219pLo16MT_l7Mcl8OU5wr2_KKjqr64Kp8PHHY/edit?usp=sharing.

Could you kindly review and comment over the next two/three weeks?

Thanks,

Reza

Reza Rahman

Dec 10, 2022, 12:26:28 PM12/10/22
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions, jakartaee-platform developer discussions
There's still about one/two weeks to review and comment, but please do
so soon. I know a lot of folks are off but it would be good to get this
out next year and begin encouraging folks to contribute towards some of
these important changes. Some of these changes have a positive impact
even for more remote parts of the ecosystem such as Spring.

With Jakarta EE 10 out, it's now possible to concretely point to the
fact that the platform is moving again. We should leverage that momentum
and try to involve JUGs more heavily this time.

Josh Juneau

Dec 11, 2022, 12:13:26 PM12/11/22
to Reza Rahman, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions, jakartaee-platform developer discussions
I have read through the document and I think it is very well written and easy to understand.  Perhaps the best part about it is the brief compilation of future goals for many of the specifications.  This positions the contributor guide to better enable developers to get involved in areas where they are most interested in helping to move these initiatives forward.

Nice work on compiling this guide.

On Dec 10, 2022, at 11:26 AM, Reza Rahman <reza_...@lycos.com> wrote:

There's still about one/two weeks to review and comment, but please do so soon. I know a lot of folks are off but it would be good to get this out next year and begin encouraging folks to contribute towards some of these important changes. Some of these changes have a positive impact even for more remote parts of the ecosystem such as Spring.

Reza Rahman

Dec 17, 2022, 4:30:29 PM12/17/22
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions, jakartaee-platform developer discussions, cu-...@eclipse.org, cdi...@eclipse.org, json...@eclipse.org, messag...@eclipse.org, rest...@eclipse.org, es developer discussions, face...@eclipse.org, jta...@eclipse.org
I believe we are well on the way to finalizing and publishing the
updated guide. Thanks to folks that kindly reviewed so far.

However, I would like to call attention to a few embedded comments that
I am unsure of in the areas of Security, Concurrency, Messaging, CDI,
REST, JSON, Faces and Transactions. I think they need review and
feedback from the respective stakeholders and probably discussion on the
mailing lists. I am expanding the mailing list distribution for that reason.

Ondro Mihályi

Dec 18, 2022, 9:16:19 PM12/18/22
to Reza Rahman, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions, jakartaee-platform developer discussions, cu-...@eclipse.org, cdi...@eclipse.org, json...@eclipse.org, messag...@eclipse.org, rest...@eclipse.org, es developer discussions, face...@eclipse.org, jta...@eclipse.org
I added some comments to the unresolved discussions inside the document.

I also suggested changes to format section titles as headers so that it's easier to navigate in the document using the table of contents. Doing that, I suggested to move the new APis into their own sections instead of mentioning them just in a bullet list so that they get better visibility. I think at least some of those new APIs are very important and may attract contributors, especially Config and Data, and they deserve a similar position in the document as existing specs mentioned in the document.

Ondro

so 17. 12. 2022 o 22:30 Reza Rahman <reza_...@lycos.com> napísal(a):

Reza Rahman

Jan 5, 2023, 10:13:14 AM1/5/23
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions, jakartaee-platform developer discussions
The guide is now published:
https://jakartaee-ambassadors.io/guide-to-contributing-to-jakarta-ee-11/.
Please do help spread the word. Here is a convenient tweet:
https://twitter.com/jee_ambassadors/status/1611015679724986373.

As was the case for the Jakarta EE 10 contributor guide, the Leadership
Council will evolve it as things progress. It should be in a good enough
state based on our current understanding.