Community help with the strategic goal "Enable Ecosystem Transition to jakarta namespace"

Martijn Verburg

Mar 23, 2021, 6:24:15 AM3/23/21
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors

Hi All,

One of Jakarta EE's strategic goals for 2021 is to enable ecosystem transition to the jakarta.x namespace.  That is:

  • Plan for enabling javax -> jakarta adoption by ecosystem
    • Application Servers, Web Servers, MicroProfile
    • IDEs
    • Frameworks
    • Monitoring tools
    • Testing tools
    • Porting tools
    • Cloud Providers
  • Highlight compatibility success stories (e.g. Eclipse Transformer, application migrations)
  • Evaluate compatibility options, e.g. “legacy” profile, or “MP” profile
  • Monitor/measure progress for tools targeted for supporting Jakarta EE 9+

To ensure progress thought the year we want to plan specific objectives by quarters. We also concluded that community help would be great here!

-------

I'm looking for a small group of volunteers to help me drive this!  It's an opportunity to help modernize the Java EE ecosystem, get connections deep inside the various JakartaEE vendors and projects, and be seen as a thought leader in this space :-).

Please reply to this thread if you're interested!

Cheers,

Martijn

Reza Rahman

Mar 23, 2021, 9:56:34 AM3/23/21
to Martijn Verburg, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Hi Martijn,

No doubt there will be folks here that can help. However, it may be a good idea to outline concrete smaller next steps as opposed to the high levels goals. What are you concretely taking on next say in the next weeks to months that an end user could plausibly help with?

Reza Rahman

Stefan Horochovec

Mar 23, 2021, 12:30:28 PM3/23/21
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Martijn Verburg
Hello Martin, thanks for share,

I have a great interest to join in this group.

Kind regards

Stefan Horochovec
Arquiteto de Solução

Lilian BENOIT

Mar 24, 2021, 4:10:26 PM3/24/21
to Martijn Verburg, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Hi Martijn,

I am interested for this. I agree with Reza : Describe next concrete
steps is good idea for more joining.

---
Regards,

Lilian BENOIT
Jakarta EE Ambassador, Blogger, Speaker

Le 23/03/2021 14:56, Reza Rahman a écrit :
> Hi Martijn,
>
> No doubt there will be folks here that can help. However, it may be a
> good idea to outline concrete smaller next steps as opposed to the
> high levels goals. What are you concretely taking on next say in the
> next weeks to months that an end user could plausibly help with?
>
> Reza Rahman
> Jakarta EE Ambassador, Author, Blogger, Speaker
>
> Please note views expressed here are my own as an individual community
> member and do not reflect the views of my employer.
>
>> On Mar 23, 2021, at 6:24 AM, Martijn Verburg
>> <martijn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> One of Jakarta EE's strategic goals for 2021 is to enable ecosystem
>> transition to the _jakarta.x _namespace. That is:
>>
>> * Plan for enabling javax -> jakarta adoption by ecosystem
>>
>> * Application Servers, Web Servers, MicroProfile
>> * IDEs
>> * Frameworks
>> * Monitoring tools
>> * Testing tools
>> * Porting tools
>> * Cloud Providers
>>
>> * Highlight compatibility success stories (e.g. Eclipse
>> Transformer, application migrations)
>> * Evaluate compatibility options, e.g. “legacy” profile, or
>> “MP” profile
>>
>> * Monitor/measure progress for tools targeted for supporting
>> Jakarta EE 9+
>>
>> To ensure progress thought the year we want to plan specific
>> objectives by quarters. We also concluded that community help would
>> be great here!
>>
>> -------
>>
>> I'm looking for a small group of volunteers to help me drive this!
>> It's an opportunity to help modernize the Java EE ecosystem, get
>> connections deep inside the various JakartaEE vendors and projects,
>> and be seen as a thought leader in this space :-).
>>
>> Please reply to this thread if you're interested!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Martijn
>>
>> --
>>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jakartaee-ambassadors/CAP7YuARZZSFVn5ch2Cx7hQ7fKXeNFp%3DgG8nBRDNTqMF3bO-EFA%40mail.gmail.com
>> [1].
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jakartaee-ambassadors/68D73ED5-D502-4039-BB93-6D4555BF5310%40gmail.com
> [2].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jakartaee-ambassadors/CAP7YuARZZSFVn5ch2Cx7hQ7fKXeNFp%3DgG8nBRDNTqMF3bO-EFA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=footer
> [2]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jakartaee-ambassadors/68D73ED5-D502-4039-BB93-6D4555BF5310%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

Martijn Verburg

Jul 7, 2021, 5:25:27 PM7/7/21
to Lilian BENOIT, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Hi all,

Much, much later I finally got started :-). I'd love to have folks who are a little bit closer to various implementations and frameworks to add/edit/correct my (likely error-filled) start.

Cheers,
Martijn

Martijn Verburg

Jan 4, 2022, 4:40:27 AM1/4/22
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
Hi all,

Happy new year! Another 6 months has passed since we last looked at the state of the javax --> jakartaee namespace migration and I'd love to get a set of fresh eyes on the tracking sheet in early 2022 :-).
If you're currently running a Jakarta EE workload and can spare 5 minutes to check/update the sheet above that would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Martijn

Reza Rahman

Jan 4, 2022, 11:52:32 AM1/4/22
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
I’ve placed this on the Ambassadors’ social media channels. May be a good idea to put this on the official Jakarta EE social media channels too. Good initiative.

Reza Rahman