Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] About the Jakarta EE 9 Tutorial

Reza Rahman

Jan 16, 2021, 2:05:08 PM1/16/21
to jakartaee-platform developer discussions, Jakarta EE community discussions, Guillermo González de Agüero, Jakarta EE Ambassadors

The Jakarta EE Tutorial needs all the help it can get. Last I checked, Guillermo (copied) was helping maintain it: https://eclipse-ee4j.github.io/jakartaee-tutorial/. Perhaps he can provide a status update and help guide you on how to best contribute right now?

My personal plan is to begin contributing to the Tutorial and Examples as soon as Cargo Tracker is in decent shape. My estimate is that Cargo Tracker will keep me tied up for another six months or so.

If you do not get any responses from anyone, let's get together and figure out how we can move the Tutorial forward. In the least, someone from the Eclipse Foundation or Oracle should be able to help us.

Reza Rahman

On 1/16/2021 10:12 AM, Dmitri Cerkas wrote:

Hello community,

sorry, one question... Will be created "Jakarta EE 9 Tutorial" similar to that of "Java Platform, Enterprise Edition (Java EE) 8 The Java EE Tutorial" (https://javaee.github.io/tutorial/toc.html) ?

Can I help you to create it?

Thank you in advance!

Have a nice day,
Dmitri Cherkas.

- Oracle Certified Master, Java SE6 Developer
- Oracle Certified Professional, Java Enterprise Edition 5 Web Component Developer
- Oracle Certified Professional, Java ME1 Mobile Application Developer
- Sun Certified Java Programmer (SCJP) v. 1.5
- Sun Certified Java Programmer (SCJP) v. 1.6

- Oracle Certified Associate Database 11g Administrator
- Oracle Database 11g: SQL Fundamentals I

- Linux System Administrator Certified, LPIC-1 (Linux Professional Institute)

- Degree in Computer Science,
- Degree in Economics
- Post Degree in Nanoelettronics

- CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) (EC-Council)) (in progress)
- Software architect (iSAQB certification (in progress))

Dmitri Cerkas

Jan 16, 2021, 3:48:47 PM1/16/21
to jakartaee-platform developer discussions, Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
If you permit I would want to help to create Jakarta EE 9 Tutorial.

Dmitri.

Hussa...@cognizant.com

Jan 16, 2021, 11:02:40 PM1/16/21
to jakartaee-p...@eclipse.org, jakarta.ee...@eclipse.org, jakartaee-...@googlegroups.com

Dmitri,

I am working on the Jakarta EE Tutorial. You can comment on the PR and I can add you as contributor to my fork.

https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tutorial/pull/239

The examples are migrated to Jakarta EE 9.

https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tutorial-examples/pull/33

Thanks

Hussain

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please reply to the sender and destroy all copies of the original message. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email, and/or any action taken in reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Where permitted by applicable law, this e-mail and other e-mail communications sent to and from Cognizant e-mail addresses may be monitored.

Guillermo González de Agüero

Jan 17, 2021, 1:26:56 PM1/17/21
to Reza Rahman, jakartaee-platform developer discussions, Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Always great to see new people interested in the tutorial.

As mentioned, there's already a draft PR by Hussain updating all content for Jakarta EE 9. What's even more important to me is the *impressive* AsciiDoc cleanup he is doing (btw, thanks Hussainm!), removing handcrafted lists and links and fixing some markups. As soon as it's finished, I'll rebase my Standalone Guides PR [1][2] on top of it, as it will probably fix most of the cross-link problems it had.

Hussainm's PR will probably be the last massive PR changing all the files on the repository. Once merged, we'll be able to focus on the content and fixing outstanding issues. Also, reviews will be easier.

Note that the tutorial is already online [3], but on a very outdated version (a more recent version is available at [4]). Hantsy Bai provided a PR to auto deploy the tutorial via GH actions. I really look forward to that PR being integrated as it has already been approved.

At this specific moment, it would be very useful to triage existing issues, validating whether they are still valid on Hussainm's branch, and if so, branch from it and fix there. It's better to start from this branch as it already fixes some known issues.