CN4J Alignment

Ryan Cuprak

Mar 22, 2021, 1:05:57 PM3/22/21
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Jakarta Ambassadors,

I have put together a slide deck detailing the CN4J Alignment (Jakarta EE + MicroProfile). This is the first step in a more detailed joint statement. We’ve been hashing it out for over a week on the leadership council.

Please take a look at this slide deck when you have a chance and feel free to provide comments.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1zei-cHG9xSasb0NwLI03OO0zboCHBekDP0M6A8shLuo/edit?usp=sharing

Regards,
-Ryan Cuprak

Stefan Horochovec

Mar 22, 2021, 1:34:00 PM3/22/21
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Thanks for this contribution Ryan.

I was in doubt about slide 3, more specifically in this topic:

Not all technologies are a fit for Jakarta EE
OpenTelemetry, gRPC, GraphQL, CQRS / Event Sourcing

OpenTelemetry would be excellent in my opinion, from the point of view of specifying behavior and functionality, delimiting scopes, at the level of an Application Server.

In the case of applications oriented to microservices and serverless, this is fundamental for good architecture and monitoring of distributed services.

Stefan Horochovec
Solutions Architect

Reza Rahman

Mar 22, 2021, 1:53:40 PM3/22/21
to Jakarta Ambassadors
The intent was to state that not everything is an obvious fit for Jakarta EE at a given point in time. There is no doubt observability is important for microservices. The issue that we see at the moment is that the entire field is too fast moving and volatile to standardize into Jakarta EE right away. However, it is a perfect fit for MicroProfile exactly because of those dynamics and could be incorporated quickly without too much concern for longevity, backwards compatibility, etc.

Does that help?

Reza Rahman

Stefan Horochovec

Mar 22, 2021, 2:07:46 PM3/22/21
to Jakarta Ambassadors
Thanks Reza,

I agree with your point of view, however, my observation was not considering the time for a resolution, but rather a long-term view of a feature that I consider standardization to be an important step.

Kind regards

Stefan Horochovec
Solutions Architect

Ondro Mihályi

Mar 28, 2021, 3:48:44 AM3/28/21
to Stefan Horochovec, Jakarta Ambassadors
Maybe we can just remove mentioninging specific technologies from that statement?

Dňa po 22. 3. 2021, 19:08 Stefan Horochovec <stefan.h...@gmail.com> napísal(a):

Reza Rahman

Mar 28, 2021, 7:16:55 AM3/28/21
to Ondro Mihályi, Stefan Horochovec, Jakarta Ambassadors
Let us see what other folks think. The problem is some others actually suggested specific examples. It may be fine either way.

Reza Rahman