customize jaiku

rahul

May 28, 2010, 5:31:37 PM5/28/10
to jaikuengine-discuss
I am building a student - alumni interaction platform (originally in
PHP) , and now its kinda difficult to manage in php so decided to jump
to python + Django .
While i was searching through i found jaiku very similar to wat i
wanted to built , but also confine and remove some features. Like
customize it to only 2 types of users with different privileges and
fixed no of channels .
i would be glad if you could guide me on how to go about doing so.

Thank YOu
Rahul

dougx

May 29, 2010, 12:36:37 AM5/29/10
to jaikuengine-discuss
I played with jaiku briefly and in my experience it's more trouble
than it's worth. It only works on app engine, it's difficult customize
and setup and it doesn't actually work on app engine out of the box.
You'll want to have a look at this page if you really want to get a
copy up and running:
http://code.google.com/p/jaikuengine/wiki/InstallingJaikuengineUsingOSX

Anyway, as you can see from the updates, there's basically no action
on this project anyway...
http://code.google.com/p/jaikuengine/updates/list

:|

Php isn't great, but status.net is at least easier to get up and
running and better documented...

~
Doug.

Rahul R

May 29, 2010, 1:15:35 AM5/29/10
to jaikuengi...@googlegroups.com
well i checked status.net , but doesnt completely suit to my requirements , looks like i gotto code substantially. Is there any other framework u suggest would help me framing my webapp rapidly ? as u said customizing jaiku is a tedious , is there any other framework or so which is closer to it , so that  i cant customise to my needs.

Adewale Oshineye

Jun 3, 2010, 6:09:27 PM6/3/10
On 29 May 2010 06:15, Rahul R <rahu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> well i checked status.net , but doesnt completely suit to my requirements ,
> looks like i gotto code substantially. Is there any other framework u
> suggest would help me framing my webapp rapidly ? as u said customizing
> jaiku is a tedious , is there any other framework or so which is closer to
> it , so that  i cant customise to my needs.
If you have a very clear and different vision then trying to bend
something like JaikuEngine will probably cause you a lot of
frustration.
In that case I'd advise you to build something simple from scratch
that does exactly what you want. You should probably take a look at
using AppEngine for hosting and something like DJango:
http://www.djangoproject.com/