USB passthrough with VM

Kemal

Jun 6, 2019, 4:33:40 PM6/6/19
to jaer-users
Hey all,

I'm currently struggling to get my DAVIS346 camera to work with macOS Mojave.  I'm getting flickering frames that result in chaos and make the live footage difficult to look at. I've got openJDK 8, latest release of jAER, and the bias set up fine. I have the Davis 346 red and have gotten it to work on another linux machine with the same setup that I did on my macOS if that info will help.

I switched to running Ubuntu 18.04 VM on my Mac and tried to pass the camera in through USB. The VM recognizes that the camera is being passed in trough the "devices" menu, however the interface tab on the jAER program doesn't list any devices.

If anyone has an idea on how to solve the problems above, I'm open to discussion.

Thanks,
Kemal

Luca Longinotti

Jun 7, 2019, 4:18:06 AM6/7/19
to jaer-...@googlegroups.com
The flickering frame problem on OSX is known for jAER.
Our upcoming Dynamic Vision (DV) framework doesn't have that problem.
For basic visualization we already have a beta out:
https://inivation.gitlab.io/dv-docs/docs/getting-started.html#stable-releases

Regarding the VM, I believe the issue is that on Linux you must have
the appropriate udev rules installed so that any software can talk to
our USB devices, see:
https://inivation.com/support/software/usb-device-installation/#linux

Hope this helps, have a nice day!
--
Luca Longinotti (llongi)

Software Engineer
iniVation AG - https://inivation.com/
Zurich, Switzerland
Office: +41 44 500 3214

Support - https://inivation.com/support/

Kemal

Jun 7, 2019, 9:30:37 AM6/7/19
to jaer-users
Hey Luca,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I setup the appropriate udev rules on the VM and got it working fine.  As for macOS, I think we'll wait on using the DV framework and stick to linux.

Thanks,
Kemal