send events from jAER to microcontroller through serial port

Ryan

Jul 22, 2019, 11:21:57 AM7/22/19
to jaer-users

Dear all;

I have an eDVS-4337 and a DVS 128. The DVS128 works properly, but the eDVS-4337 does not work. Therefore, I am trying to modify the jAER source code to send events out through serial port.

Thanks to the tutorial videos on YouTube. I follow the guidance in the videos. The jAER source code is download and can be built successfully. I’m using DVS128, NetBeans IDE and Window 10. There are many classes in the source. I can not find the right classes to modify. Additionally, I write an individual java program (attached) that can send strings via a serial port, and microcontroller can receive these strings from the serial port. Maybe the next step is combining jAER and the java program.

Could you tell me which class (or classes) of jAER should be modified to send event out through serial port?

(The DVS128 has 3 pins:IN OUT and GND, could I used these pins to send events to a microcontroller?)

Many thanks,

Ryan

jAERtoMCU.java
DVS_eDVS.jpg

Tobi Delbruck (INI)

Jul 25, 2019, 2:21:34 PM7/25/19
to jaer-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Ryan, I don't get it.  The eDVS should work fine under windows if
you choose the correct serial port setup. Did you check the user guide
for it carefully?

I don't understand why you want to send events out from DVS128 over
serial port... Serial port will be much slower than USB 2.0 highspeed
interface.

You cannot send out serial events using IN and OUT pins. These are for
multicamera timestamp synchronization and external input events.  These
functions are encoded in the camera CPLD logic circuits.

Ryan

Jul 26, 2019, 9:54:12 AM7/26/19
to jaer-users
Dear Tobi,

Thanks for your reply.

I followed the user guide of eDVS step by step, however it does not work, and I cannot view any events. I think the reason maybe some parameters (baud rate) of the eDVS has been changed by previous students. I have tried various measures to build the communication with the eDVS, such as:
1. Use different baud rates in Device Manager of Windows OS
2. Install different drivers
3. Different version and setting of jAER
4. Use another laptop
5. Use different serial console emulation programs (PuTTy, TeraTerm)
6. Try to update firmware (FlashMagic)
7. Use ISP to read signature (FlashMagic)
I also tried different baud rate of all the above software. However, the communication with eDVS can not be built and I always get the same WARNING from jAER (attached):

14:46:17 WARNING: net.sf.jaer.hardwareinterface.serial.eDVS128.eDVS128_HardwareInterface.open: eDVS did not return startup message after reset
14:46:18 WARNING: net.sf.jaer.hardwareinterface.serial.eDVS128.eDVS128_HardwareInterface.open: eDVS did not return any messages on sending biases

When the eDVS is connect to PC, the green led is flashing. I used oscilloscope to measure the output of I/O ports (at the back of the eDVS board), found that the pins of ISP connector and GPIO has constant output around 2.5 Volt and each port has a GND which is 0 Volt. However, the jAER always has the same WARNING.

Instead, the DVS128 works properly. Thus, I have no alternative choice but to use serial port to send events out. In the source code of jAER, I want to find the thread or class that displays the events on screen. And then modify the thread (class) to send the displayed events out via a serial port.

Would you please tell me what should I do to modify the thread (class)?

Many thanks,
Ryan
eDVS.jpg
jAER console.txt