Implement Jaeger without modify application's source code

Ilias Avramidis

Apr 18, 2021, 8:04:35 AM4/18/21
to Jaeger Tracing
Hi there,
I was wondering If there is any way to integrate Jaeger tracing without the
need to integrate a jaeger client to each of my application's source code?
Is there any way to do something like that?
Or you have to modify your source code in order to produce some spans?

(Not sure If you have answer the same question in another thread)

Many thanks

Jonah Kowall

Apr 18, 2021, 8:27:36 AM4/18/21
to Ilias Avramidis, Jaeger Tracing
Hello, Ilias you can autoinstrument with many languages which requires no code changes or minimal code changes. It depends on the language specifically. Java is the most advanced in this manner. You could use the Java autoinstrumentation in OpenTelemetry: open-telemetry/opentelemetry-java-instrumentation: OpenTelemetry auto-instrumentation and instrumentation libraries for Java (github.com)

Here is an older post on this, since this time it's improved a lot and the project has reached general availability, but the concepts are valid: Auto-instrumentation with OpenTelemetry | by Willie Wheeler | wwblog | Medium

-Jonah Kowall
Google Voice - 617-500-3575
Twitter - @jkowall

Sent via Superhuman

Ilias Avramidis

Apr 18, 2021, 9:15:21 AM4/18/21
to Jaeger Tracing
Hello mate,
Ah that's nice.
Thanks a lot for the tip, I will take a look and try to redeploy and see how it works.

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 8:04 AM, Ilias Avramidis <ilias.a...@agileactors.com> wrote:
Hi there,
I was wondering If there is any way to integrate Jaeger tracing without the
need to integrate a jaeger client to each of my application's source code?
Is there any way to do something like that?
Or you have to modify your source code in order to produce some spans?

(Not sure If you have answer the same question in another thread)

Many thanks

an...@signoz.io

Apr 18, 2021, 9:56:13 AM4/18/21
to Jaeger Tracing