Kotlin Version Strategy for the project

Paul N

Aug 10, 2022, 4:45:45 PM8/10/22
to JaCoCo and EclEmma Users
I recently raised https://github.com/jacoco/jacoco/issues/1351 which documents an issue where you get less than 100% branch coverage switching from Kotlin 1.6.10 to 1.6.21 or 1.7.10.

Interestingly the Kotlin compiler produces the same bytecode for the class that is reporting less coverage than in 1.6.10.

After a bit of digging I noticed that the build runs on Kotlin 1.5.0.

Are there any plans to change the build to run on later versions of Kotlin, or to support multiple versions as is the case for Java ?

I've noticed that the build fails if the Kotlin version in org.jacoco.core.test.validation.kotlin/pom.xml is changed to a later version (e..g. 1.6.10) so it looks like Jacoco is generating different coverage stats depending on the Kotlin version.

Is this a known issue ?

Marc Hoffmann

Aug 11, 2022, 11:07:32 AM8/11/22
to jac...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

for Java we run integration tests for all Java versions from 1.5 to the most recent Java 20.

For all other languages we decided to test only only the latest release. If we haven’t updated (and fixed) certain languages to the latest version this is due to our limited resources.

So yes, this is a known issue and and our strategy is “best effort”.

Regards,
-marc