skippy.io: Predictive Test Selection powered by JaCoCo

Florian McKee

Jan 8, 2024, 10:12:44 PMJan 8
to JaCoCo and EclEmma Users

Hi all,

I though I share a project I started recently:

Skippy implements Test Impact Analysis / Predictive Test Selection for the JVM. The analysis part is mostly based on JaCoCo. I only add a very thin layer of static analysis to deal with corner cases like inlining of constants. While the ideas have been around for a while (https://martinfowler.com/articles/rise-test-impact-analysis.html), there has been a surprising lack of usable open source solutions in this area.

I’ve put together some documentation how that all works: https://www.skippy.io/tutorials/

It’s actually pretty straightforward: JaCoCo does the hard part, I just stitch some things together. My initial solution was based on starting one build per test using Gradle’s Tooling API. Then I realized how easy it is to just call the JaCoCo agent during the execution of the test suite to capture per-test coverage data.

Would love to hear some feedback. And thanks for all the great work you've done with JaCoCo.

Florian

Evgeny Mandrikov

Jan 17, 2024, 9:08:14 AMJan 17
to JaCoCo and EclEmma Users