JT VSD Red Lights Do Not Appear

John Morrow

Apr 2, 2021, 6:30:28 PM4/2/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

We have a member of our group with a problematic VSD. This singer has been rehearsing with us for a number of weeks without issues. This week, all the proper connections are made on the device, but when power is applied the red lights do not appear. Any suggestions?

Regards,
John Morrow

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Apr 2, 2021, 8:01:17 PM4/2/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

It could be that the device has a problem, but I have found 9 times out
of 10 that after a proper power cycle the red lights appear without fail.

If your member has already done that, it could be a problem with the
device. If not, please ask them to simply unplug the device and wait a
minute or two before plugging it back in.

I hope that this was a simple fix and that you will not need to get a
replacement.

Best thoughts,
Synthia

--
"Go at it boldly, and you'll find unexpected forces closing round you
and coming to your aid." -Basil King

John Morrow

Apr 2, 2021, 8:10:21 PM4/2/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Synthia,

We had another singer visit the one with the problem. He brought his VSD and he got red lights on his.  I will suggest they cycle power a few times and keep fingers crossed.

Thanks,
John

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/bfe47460-7d7e-159b-edbe-4a1c6096a0fb%40gmail.com.

John Morrow

Apr 2, 2021, 10:01:31 PM4/2/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Synthia. I am thinking of forcing an update and see if that helps.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/bfe47460-7d7e-159b-edbe-4a1c6096a0fb%40gmail.com.

John Morrow

Apr 4, 2021, 2:10:30 AM4/4/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Cycling the power didn't work, and I could not connect with the VSD in order to force an update. Last thing I can think of is to write a new image to the micro SD card.

Regards,
John

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021, 5:01 PM Synthia Cynthia Payne <synthi...@gmail.com> wrote:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/bfe47460-7d7e-159b-edbe-4a1c6096a0fb%40gmail.com.

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Apr 4, 2021, 3:03:24 AM4/4/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
ok, could the SD card have been damaged or been displaced in the slot?

synth
> <mailto:jacktrip-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:jacktrip-user...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:jacktrip-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAFkM2AONPZDtHJUTBept8J8V4gMB6xtpCVa8rSUFwmDsA1tR%2Bg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAFkM2AONPZDtHJUTBept8J8V4gMB6xtpCVa8rSUFwmDsA1tR%2Bg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> "Go at it boldly, and you'll find unexpected forces closing round you
> and coming to your aid." -Basil King
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/bfe47460-7d7e-159b-edbe-4a1c6096a0fb%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/bfe47460-7d7e-159b-edbe-4a1c6096a0fb%40gmail.com>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAFkM2ANKn4ySawzBUXWh8qx7KPaOko%2BYNLj0vw348c0yjQ5tnA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAFkM2ANKn4ySawzBUXWh8qx7KPaOko%2BYNLj0vw348c0yjQ5tnA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

John Morrow

Apr 4, 2021, 4:54:09 PM4/4/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
So I got the VSD in my hands yesterday.  The micro SD card appeared to be seated properly in the slot. I put it in an adapter, put it in the laptop and the file system did not mount.   I don't know how that could have happened, but I am off to the store later today to buy another micro sd card. More to come.

John

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/54314296-5592-e962-545b-b548600b0873%40gmail.com.

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Apr 4, 2021, 5:33:05 PM4/4/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Great. You can flash it with the software on the following link.

You’ll need the Balena Etcher app to get it onto the card.

Good luck John! Please Keep us posted.

Synthia

John Morrow

Apr 4, 2021, 7:27:08 PM4/4/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I bought a new 32gb microSD card from Wal-mart.   Although none of the instructions I saw specifically said to do so, I reformatted the card to ext4 since we are using a linux-based OS.  I extracted the image file, wrote it to the microSD card using Balena, and it works! I plugged everything in and got red lights after a couple of minutes.

Thanks Synthia.

Regards,
John

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Apr 4, 2021, 7:34:20 PM4/4/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Btw: sd cards are notoriously fragile with improper or interrupted power cycling by unplugging while the device is being updated i. E. Before the topside red lights appear. Boom. It’s toast. Sd cards also are sensitive to physical damag like when I was seating and unseating  the cards into different devices. Boom. Bent one but still works asking for a replacement. Will do. This npp practice appeals to my avid hobbyist and craftsman characteristics.

Easter Funz!

Synth

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Apr 4, 2021, 8:35:39 PM4/4/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
And while I’m on about damage and fragility let’s include Ethernet cables folks. They are extremely vulnerable to crimps and bends and stepping or rolling heaviness on them. Get rid or repair damaged ones. I rest. Synth

Dave Adams

Apr 6, 2021, 7:42:36 AM4/6/21
to jacktrip-users
Since the card works, it obviously did not do any  harm to format the card BUT...
If you  look at the card with the equivalent of "gparted" you will see that it has unused space, a FAT bootstrap partition, THEN the main linux partition.

The "image" file you pull into Balena Etcher (or other imaging tool) contains every bit for the  entire SD, including not just the files WE can see, but all the  disk partition and setup data.  No need to preformat.

Just for grins, did you try putting a new image on the card that failed?  SOMEtimes the basic disk setup info gets blitzed, and NOTHING can touch it.  Sometimes the FILE SYSTEM gets hosed, after which it cannot be mounted, but can be seen by your system and Balena  Etcher.  If that works and you post here, you could save other players a trip to the store :)

Dave

Robert Holland

Apr 6, 2021, 9:24:15 AM4/6/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
I started to look at the 'red lights' problem (or rather a lack of status feedback from the VSD during start up) but have not had a chance to do any detailed work on this yet as our garden has demanded my attention for the last few weeks. This is about building progressive confidence in the hardware - essentially the same as the POST test does on a PC.

In the absence of a HDMI monitor being connected as a console display (this should not be needed on a VSD) there seems no real reason why the VSD should not report its status using beep codes to the audio output as soon as any audio interface is detected, with different sounds being reported as progress is made - network up, etc all the way through to making a connection to the relevant JackTrip server. This would help inspire confidence. Before nature intervened I did get as far as building my own VSD image and trying out speech synthesis for the later stages of this (this needs the network up).

I've not looked at this in any detail yet but I think it would be useful - especially so for new users who might expect to hear something when they plug in their headphones and switch on for the first time.

It would also be helpful if the RPi's Activity LED could be blinked with an error code if no audio interface is detected (if it does this already apologies - my VSD is not visible from where I normally sit).

Best wishes to all.

--
Robert E B Holland

John Morrow

Apr 6, 2021, 9:27:52 AM4/6/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Dave Adams,

"Just for grins, did you try putting a new image on the card that failed?"  Unfortunately I did not. It went straight to the trash.

Thanks for the info,

John

Bill van Melle

Apr 7, 2021, 9:40:02 PM4/7/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, twice so far this week I've found my VSD with its red lights off. In both cases power cycling took care of it, but I find this troubling.

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Apr 8, 2021, 1:51:09 AM4/8/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Were you connected to a server at the time? If not, this is perfectly
normal, and when you connect to a server they should come back on. If
so, it is my experience that if the servers do not detect activity for
some period of time, they will go to sleep. synth

My preference is to do a fresh power cycle before each session, but I
realize that some people are "always on", and that's cool.

synthia
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAFkM2ANKn4ySawzBUXWh8qx7KPaOko%2BYNLj0vw348c0yjQ5tnA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAFkM2ANKn4ySawzBUXWh8qx7KPaOko%2BYNLj0vw348c0yjQ5tnA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>
>> --
>> "Go at it boldly, and you'll find unexpected
>> forces closing round you
>> and coming to your aid." -Basil King
>>
>> --
>> emails from it, send an email to
>> jacktrip-user...@googlegroups.com.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/54314296-5592-e962-545b-b548600b0873%40gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/54314296-5592-e962-545b-b548600b0873%40gmail.com>.
>>
>> --
>> emails from it, send an email to
>> jacktrip-user...@googlegroups.com.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAFkM2AM%2BGyWi%3Dk5pBZhSGeLFNrMWBu6vx95QwMBNK6Q36TGG0A%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAFkM2AM%2BGyWi%3Dk5pBZhSGeLFNrMWBu6vx95QwMBNK6Q36TGG0A%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/BB437933-98E8-467A-A890-EB9AB4B7B5B7%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/BB437933-98E8-467A-A890-EB9AB4B7B5B7%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/37d7f576-c991-494c-adcd-9df999229443n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/37d7f576-c991-494c-adcd-9df999229443n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAFkM2AO0qi9eRZU2zrpg23yorH%3DzRpuMpasrnns7h2EpP2FeKw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAFkM2AO0qi9eRZU2zrpg23yorH%3DzRpuMpasrnns7h2EpP2FeKw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAAaiUA5976THUQwmxMf4Zgj008nw%2B60RgJVH4p9oPzR%3Dq0Bs3g%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAAaiUA5976THUQwmxMf4Zgj008nw%2B60RgJVH4p9oPzR%3Dq0Bs3g%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Bill van Melle

Apr 8, 2021, 2:28:08 AM4/8/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I'll try to check that next time. I believe the most recent time I observed this I had indeed been connected to a server, which had since stopped.

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Apr 8, 2021, 2:48:09 AM4/8/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
You gotta keep putting nickels in if you want it to run, i.e. add more
time on the server app interface. Otherwise, the servers will eventually
run out and all connections will be dropped. Harsh but true. synthia

On 4/7/2021 11:27 PM, Bill van Melle wrote:
> [...]
> >>
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAFkM2AONPZDtHJUTBept8J8V4gMB6xtpCVa8rSUFwmDsA1tR%2Bg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAFkM2AONPZDtHJUTBept8J8V4gMB6xtpCVa8rSUFwmDsA1tR%2Bg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>>.
> >>                     >
> >>                     >     --
> >>                     >     "Go at it boldly, and you'll find
> unexpected
> >>                     forces closing round you
> >>                     >     and coming to your aid." -Basil King
> >>                     >
> >>                     >     --
> >>                     >     You received this message because you are
> >>                     subscribed to the Google
> >>                     >     Groups "jacktrip-users" group.
> >>                     >     To unsubscribe from this group and stop

Dave Adams

Apr 8, 2021, 7:02:59 AM4/8/21
to jacktrip-users
Aw, that "harsh" label is a bit... harsh :)

I LIKE the automatic timeout.  Right now, with free servers for all until June 21, and free for JVSD buyers through the rest of 2021, that keeps our benefactors server bill down when folks (like maybe me SOMEtimes....) forget to shut down at the end of a test or session.

Later on it will save ME money in those situations.

The icing on this cake is that it only takes moving a simple slider to extend the server time limit.

But I have to agree, it DOES feel harsh when sound cuts out in the middle of things because... oops... I forgot :)

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Apr 8, 2021, 3:16:03 PM4/8/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
yes, Dave, so many times I have logged back in to stop the server when I
have finished! Thanks for mentioning that the servers do carry a use fee
that is currently being paid by the Jacktrip Foundation. It's a good
practice to be mindful when servers are started and stopped. synth
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAAaiUA40UarKxBxLA4DMg6X9-5izJyq4L0D9L7jgOeGDH8UgPA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAAaiUA40UarKxBxLA4DMg6X9-5izJyq4L0D9L7jgOeGDH8UgPA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> "Go at it boldly, and you'll find unexpected forces closing round you
> and coming to your aid." -Basil King
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/fb848e13-2ef4-47df-bf2c-ab0369b52469n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/fb848e13-2ef4-47df-bf2c-ab0369b52469n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Bill van Melle

Apr 8, 2021, 6:10:49 PM4/8/21
On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 11:48 PM Synthia Cynthia Payne <synthi...@gmail.com> wrote:
You gotta keep putting nickels in if you want it to run, i.e. add more
time on the server app interface. Otherwise, the servers will eventually
run out and all connections will be dropped. Harsh but true. synthia

Oh, no worries, the server didn't stop unexpectedly. My session was over and I just hadn't unplugged the box. Now I know not to be surprised when the lights are out but the box is plugged in.