Mixpre 10 with Jacktrip

Dee C

Apr 5, 2021, 11:17:41 PM4/5/21
to jacktrip-users
I am trying to use my mixpre-10 as my interface with Jacktrip. I successfully connected it, and my band can hear me, but I can't hear them. My bass player is the server and then we connect as clients. The singer/guitarist and bassist can hear each other plus myself, but I can't hear them. I am on a 2020 iMac and using my MixPre-10 as my interface with 6 connections.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dee

Michael Dessen

Apr 6, 2021, 1:41:24 AM4/6/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dee,

The first troubleshooting step I’d suggest is making sure you can route your input to your output and hear it, i.e. in Qjackctl connections window, connect system:capture 1 to system:playback 1. If you can’t hear yourself then it’s a local problem, not a network one.

If you can hear yourself properly, then other steps to try might be:
- make sure the server is properly routing audio to you
- connect to a different server and see if you can reproduce the problem

If none of that helps you can try reporting back here, and be sure to include your jack and jacktrip versions and share any other information you can.

Michael

Dave Adams

Apr 6, 2021, 7:27:36 AM4/6/21
to jacktrip-users
Michael,
Does jack_connect work on MacOS?
If so, might it help to have the output of jack_connect in this thread?
Dave

Mike O'Connor

Apr 6, 2021, 8:45:45 AM4/6/21
to Jacktrip-users
hi Dee,

my intuition is to look at the routing from Jacktrip into the MixPre's USB-inputs (the "from computer" inputs).  and then the path that those from-computer inputs take to get to your ears.  can you fill us in on what that part of your set-up looks like?

mike

Michael Dessen

Apr 6, 2021, 12:17:09 PM4/6/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

I’ve never used jack_connect on macOS but if you think it could be helpful feel free to explain more. The Connections window in Qjackctl typically works fine and making the input-output connection I mentioned below is a quick way to test that Jack is communicating properly with your interface and that you’re getting sound into/out of your local system properly, which is always good to confirm before you move on to troubleshoot possible network issues. I think that is the same principle that Mike O’Connor just wrote about in a different reply to this same thread. But feel free to make any suggestion you like here - the more input, the better!

Michael
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/2b21f4f1-ea19-4586-9249-d337897fc05fn%40googlegroups.com.

Dave Adams

Apr 6, 2021, 3:15:03 PM4/6/21
to jacktrip-users
Hi Michael,
jack_connect gives the information you get in the  "Connections" window in Qjackct.  For debug purposes on a groups conversation it has the advantage of being character, instead of GUI.  That makes it possible to share the connections without pasting a picture.
IMHO a GUI snapshot  from "Connections" is the best thing.  But if a user has trouble posting a picture, jack_connect is a good second-best.

Dave

Michael Dessen

Apr 6, 2021, 3:17:42 PM4/6/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Dave. Great to know!

Michael
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/3f4f199a-0c90-4391-8f5d-cbbc46cf5e9en%40googlegroups.com.

Dave Adams

Apr 6, 2021, 3:27:55 PM4/6/21
to jacktrip-users
arg... aging brain... not jack_connect, but jack_lsp (jack list ports.)  I had them welded in my head because I would do one then try the other when scripting something to automate some connections.

Sorry for my confusion.

jack_lsp.  Good tool.  STILL 2nd to the Qjackctl Connect window, though.

Seablade -

Apr 11, 2021, 2:37:04 PM4/11/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
`jack_lsp -C` I believe is the full command you are likely looking for.

   Seablade

Dave Adams

Apr 12, 2021, 8:15:12 AM4/12/21
to jacktrip-users
I don't have a "capital C" option in my version of jack_lsp, but DO have "lower case c".
Seems like the default is to do "-c" for whatever local server is found in the shared memory system.

Seablade -

Apr 12, 2021, 8:17:26 AM4/12/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Ahh it could be lower case c, my fault on that one, was on an ipad and couldn’t check.  Didn’t realize they had made it a default, I have just used it via memory in the past.

   Seablade

Dave Adams

Apr 12, 2021, 8:29:55 AM4/12/21
to jacktrip-users
It was a good "fault."  Got me looking at the command again.  If I EVER figure out things like "server name" on a JackTrip Virtual Studio Device I'll also be able to use this to setup usage of "jack_delay."  I find THAT utility gives me more usable "latency" figures than jack_lsp -L.    But so far I have not been able to use either utility on JTVSD.

Seablade -

Apr 12, 2021, 9:38:16 AM4/12/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
In Jack 'Server Name' is for special use cases, most likely not what you want is my guess.  I have never actually used it (And that could be saying something honestly) as it is so niche case.

jack_delay is likely referring to a predecessor of jack_iodelay, which is used to measure real world numbers for latency and requires a loopback from audio input to output of your audio hardware device.  So for a server/client style connection I would figure it is only usable on the client side, and even that is minimally useful as it is really used for delay compensation for software that supports it, mostly recording purposes.  So not sure how much use it will truly give you.

That being said, kinda curious what you are looking to do with it?

             Seablade

Dave Adams

Apr 12, 2021, 10:26:11 AM4/12/21
to jacktrip-users
I have used jack_delay within my private network to check delay between a local client and local server.  Also used it within a single jack instance to check hardware delays.  This is the Fons Adriaensen utility.

You'd THINK latency in my private network would not show much.  To make it interesting I use "netem" in linux.  This allows me to add delay, jitter, and other bits into the network to get a controlled simulation of worst-case WAN effects.  Makes interesting jack_delay results.

I have also used jack_delay from a non-JTVSD client to jacktrip.org managed server.   Results pretty much matched what I got using "netem" in my local network.

But I think we digress from the topic of the OP. :)

Seablade -

Apr 12, 2021, 3:27:51 PM4/12/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
True, though it is good info.  I am curious about a couple of things in that setup, one being how stable latency is, or if it maxes out possible latency/buffersize assuming worst case scenario, etc.  I have used netjack in the past for similar on a local network for various tasks (Running plugins on a separate host or linking a second host as a video playback machine slaved to jack) but it has been some time.

      Seablade