Poll: Hub Servers vs P2P

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Apr 8, 2021, 1:31:48 AM4/8/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Hello Listeers,

What is the maximum number of active simultaneous connections you have
run in hub mode? It seems like the large groups are increasingly coming
to Jacktrip after trying just about everything else.

Personally I am receiving a number of inquiries about how to optimize
hub server protocols for large groups of 30-50+

Aside from the ports 61002+ and 4464, and using the -S flag in Hub Mode,
what other settings or additional scripting are people using to optimize
for large group connections? Is the auto-patcher working well for people?

synthia

--
"Go at it boldly, and you'll find unexpected forces closing round you
and coming to your aid." -Basil King

Dave Adams

Apr 8, 2021, 7:21:17 AM4/8/21
to jacktrip-users
I only have a handful of trombone players.  Second rehearsal this coming Saturday.
We run in "basic" mode because I need to have ONE stereo channel for mix with my "click track" and the other for mix WITHOUT clicks.  I wish I could turn self-echo off in that basic mode.  I do not want the clicks autopanned into the mix!

Once I get a server IP address I run a script on my laptop that starts jack and a jacktrip session and Ardour and the supercollider mixer.  Surprising how finicky things were in terms of waiting for one process to be fully started before going to the next.  I will be amending that script to automatically set the jack connect window to record mode for Ardour.

I do NOT have any feed FROM Ardour by default.  My upload bandwidth is limited, so I used EITHER my JTVSD OR Ardour playback, but not both at the same time.  And outputting from Ardour whilst recording can cause hard-to-manage feedback loops in the mix.

The super collider mixer is pretty handy to tame any user whose mic is turned too high, or boost one who got a setting too low.  No way to automatically associate user with mixer channel, though, so I don't use that all the time.  BTW:  Supercollider mixer volumes take effect pretty much right away, while player settings on their device take many seconds.

After these pilot rehearsals we hope to open this up to about 20 players.  May not sound like much, compared to a 50 member voice choir, but there are challenges.  Each player has concerns for physical placements of video "reality check" device, music stand, microphone, delicate slide, JVSD, and headphone amp for JVSD (without the amp it would be really hard to hear the mix over the local sound.)

Short version of the above:
 - for larger groups I think it pays to be familiar with the Jack command line utilities and SOME sort of scripting language.
- I wish I were competent programming Supercollider, because getting JVSD player names there would be more and more useful the larger the group got!

Dave