Instructions Mac OS X

Daniele Buatti

Aug 16, 2021, 4:22:36 AM8/16/21
to jacktrip-users
Hey team,

What do you think about these instructions (mainly geared at Mac OS X)?

Is there anything that doesn't need to be done? Anything I've missed?

Thank you!

Appreciate your feedback :)

Daniele

Marcin Pączkowski

Aug 16, 2021, 1:58:43 PM8/16/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The best place to download JackTrip right now is described at https://jacktrip.github.io/jacktrip/Install/

On macOS (and Windows to some extent) JackTrip can now use the soundcard without Jack (using RtAudio backend). This is still a not fully finished feature yet (there's no device selection), but we should slowly start pointing that out, since it works well on macOS already.

Also, your website states "The ASIO4ALL driver – This makes it easier to use Jack on Windows.". I know that the audio driver situation on Windows is confusing, but that statement is somewhat inaccurate. ASIO4all is needed to operate sound cards that do not provide an ASIO driver of their own (namely most built-in sound cards and many USB mics) with low latency, using ASIO API. ASIO4All does not make things easier - it is often difficult to configure, although it might be necessary to use it with the devices mentioned earlier. Particularly, it should always be mentioned that if the sound card provides its own ASIO drivers (most external sound cards do), these should be used instead.

Best regards,
Marcin

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Aug 16, 2021, 2:38:59 PM8/16/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Excellent Marcin, thank you for these tips. Following are my suggestions.

1. While the jacktrip.github.io site is the best place to find the
latest links to JackTrip downloads, there may be some confusion right
now between what is provided in the Stable Release version 1.3 and the
beta release version 1.4.xx

The beta release 1.4.xx includes the JackTrip GUI, formerly known as
QJacktrip, which was developed by, and is included in, the link that
Daniele has from psi-borg.org. The beta JackTrip GUI has a check box for
using the RT Audio version without JACK, or the version with JACK.

The Stable Release version 1.3 does *not* include the JackTrip GUI as
mentioned above, and requires a command line to start JackTrip and
additional features of JackTrip.

The official JackTrip github is located on the following link:
https://github.com/jacktrip/jacktrip

2. If your USB interface uses a proprietary ASIO driver, check the
manufacturer's website downloads page for updates. Sometimes updates are
installed automagically as needed, however, it is a good idea to check
the latest version, especially after operating system updates. Note that
if your device has its own ASIO driver, ASIO4All will probably not work.

3. You mentioned that your instructions are geared towards Mac, but if
Windows information is provided, Windows users will need the same
attention to the Windows version as is provided for the Mac version.

I'm grateful for everyone's participation and contributions!

Synthia

On 8/16/2021 10:58 AM, Marcin Pączkowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The best place to download JackTrip right now is described at
> https://jacktrip.github.io/jacktrip/Install/
> <https://jacktrip.github.io/jacktrip/Install/>
>
> On macOS (and Windows to some extent) JackTrip can now use the soundcard
> without Jack (using RtAudio backend). This is still a not fully finished
> feature yet (there's no device selection), but we should slowly start
> pointing that out, since it works well on macOS already.
>
> Also, your website states "The ASIO4ALL driver – This makes it easier to
> use Jack on Windows.". I know that the audio driver situation on Windows
> is confusing, but that statement is somewhat inaccurate. ASIO4all is
> needed to operate sound cards /that do not provide an ASIO driver of
> their own /(namely most built-in sound cards and many USB mics) with low
> latency, using ASIO API. ASIO4All does /not/ make things easier - it is
> often difficult to configure, although it might be necessary to use it
> with the devices mentioned earlier. Particularly, it should always be
> mentioned that if the sound card provides its own ASIO drivers (most
> external sound cards do), these should be used instead.
>
> Best regards,
> Marcin
>
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 1:22 AM Daniele Buatti <in...@danielebuatti.com
> <mailto:in...@danielebuatti.com>> wrote:
>
> Hey team,
>
> What do you think about these instructions (mainly geared at Mac OS X)?
>
> https://accidental-foxtrot-a69.notion.site/Jack-JackTrip-89fc72bbea744618a31970e55d1a6ed7
> <https://accidental-foxtrot-a69.notion.site/Jack-JackTrip-89fc72bbea744618a31970e55d1a6ed7>
>
> Is there anything that doesn't need to be done? Anything I've missed?
>
> * Are my instructions clear?
> * Are any steps superfluous?
> * Jack 1.9.19 is the latest release?
> * Am I right to be downloading JackTrip from
> https://www.psi-borg.org/other-dev.html
> <https://www.psi-borg.org/other-dev.html>?
>

> Thank you!
>
> Appreciate your feedback :)
>
> Daniele
>
> --
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAEBNZeCbBQHE3hLuDCFyR_Mx3H5UH7jUMhKN1JJCMawOAH8aLg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAEBNZeCbBQHE3hLuDCFyR_Mx3H5UH7jUMhKN1JJCMawOAH8aLg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Daniele Buatti

Aug 16, 2021, 10:03:31 PM8/16/21
to jacktrip-users

Thank you Marcin and Synthia!

Yes, some of the Windows instructions were copied from another website. At this point, it's quite difficult to find information that is up to date and relevant, but that's okay. These replies have shed a lot of light on that side of things!

I'm doing my best to grab a Windows computer so that I can play around and work out what needs to be done.

I'm based in Melbourne, Australia and I'm hoping to start a small choir of people willing to experiment with a few different programs :)

On a side note, I'm connecting with a few others on SonoBus and they're using an Audio Interface yet they can't access the smaller buffer sizes. I'm hoping that they can install some drivers from the Audio Interface Manufacturer and that'll fix that side of things!

Daniele Buatti

Aug 16, 2021, 10:05:14 PM8/16/21
to jacktrip-users
I'm curious, with JackTrip eventually not requiring Jack — this means that there will only need to be one program installed in the future?

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Aug 16, 2021, 10:33:31 PM8/16/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
AFAIK it will simply be an option to run Jacktrip with or without JACK. Jacktrip still needs some kind of JACK-like routing app in order to send and receive Jacktrip audio between apps such as ableton or other daw.

Synth
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jacktrip-user...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/22df426f-c83e-4d94-8e65-8de4f5618b91n%40googlegroups.com.

Marcin Pączkowski

Aug 16, 2021, 10:45:30 PM8/16/21
On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 7:33 PM Synthia Cynthia Payne <synthi...@gmail.com> wrote:
AFAIK it will simply be an option to run Jacktrip with or without JACK. Jacktrip still needs some kind of JACK-like routing app in order to send and receive Jacktrip audio between apps such as ableton or other daw.
To clarify:
The 1.4.0(-rc) version of Jack on macOS and Windows, as provided on the Github (pre-)releases page, does not require Jack to run. On both platforms it should use the default sound card for input and output when run without Jack (on Windows it seems to be using the first ASIO device, but this is the least tested platform; on macOS I can confirm it works perfectly with the devices chosen in system preferences).
If you don't need to route audio to other inputs/outputs than the first "x" channels, JackTrip can be used without Jack at least on macOS - in fact Jack doesn't need to even installed.

As for routing audio from other apps like DAWs etc - this is still possible on Windows (using JackRouter ASIO driver), but it is not possible on macOS 10.15 (Catalina) and later, for apps that do not interface with Jack directly. To reiterate - there's no JackRouter available on recent macOS versions. (There's only a handful of apps on macOS that can talk to Jack directly, e.g. PureData and Ardour, but no commercial DAWs).

Marcin

Seablade -

Aug 16, 2021, 10:56:16 PM8/16/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
> (There's only a handful of apps on macOS that can talk to Jack directly, e.g. PureData and Ardour, but no commercial DAWs).

Mixbus (Commercial based off Ardour) talks to Jack.  And yes a fair amount of other apps like Carla, etc. that started in the world of Linux.  I can't remember the state of Jackrouter last I looked into it though, short version is not many people were both capable, and wanted to work on it.

    Seablade

Marcin Pączkowski

Aug 16, 2021, 11:39:09 PM8/16/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Mixbus (Commercial based off Ardour) talks to Jack.  And yes a fair amount of other apps like Carla, etc. that started in the world of Linux.
Thanks for the info! Yes, apps started in the Linux world and available on macOS are likely to support Jack. The reason I described the situation the way I did is with an average macOS user in mind, who is likely to be familiar with commercial apps like Reaper, ProTools, Logic etc. To avoid misunderstandings (and because there's a lot of outdated and inaccurate information out there) I am making a point that such apps will not work with Jack. Still - thank you for pointing to Mixbus, it was off my radar.

I can't remember the state of Jackrouter last I looked into it though, short version is not many people were both capable, and wanted to work on it.
I was one of the people interested (though I wouldn't say I'm really all that "capable"). It seems doable, but requires a fair amount of work and figuring out how to make JackRouter interoperate with the new(er) macOS CoreAudio APIs for virtual devices. Stéphane Letz has put together this document describing a possible approach, but I'm not aware of anyone actively working on it currently.

Marcin