question for developers: jacktrip 1.5.1 and beyond, raspberry pi, 32bit vs 64bit support/recommendations

Jane Wang

Feb 16, 2022, 8:06:25 AM2/16/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com, Jane Wang
Hello all,

In RPi standalone computer land,  the RPi foundation re RPi OS currently lists the 32-bit rpi os version (release date Jan 28, 2022, Debian 11) as “recommended for most users” even for their 64bit boards.

Should we Rpi users be downloading rpi os 32bit or 64bit to run with jacktrip 1.5.1 and beyond or are either fine?  How about future versions of jacktrip?  will support for 32bit be phased out or will it depend on the Raspberry Pi Foundation?

Is anyone testing rpi’s with either of rpi os’ Jan 28, 2022 releases?

I am in the process of updating the rpi 4b standalone with jacktrip guide - so far i am including both 32bit and 64bit rpi os as options for installing but I haven’t fully tested either in the field yet.   i hope to test both the 32bit and 64bit rpi os’ in future jacktrip sessions but wondering if anyone has already been doing so and if there have been any known issues with either rpi os and jacktrip 1.5.1

Thanks much,
Jane Wang

--
Sent from my ipad apologies for typos etc

IOhannes m zmoelnig

Feb 16, 2022, 9:24:48 AM2/16/22

On 2/16/22 14:06, Jane Wang wrote:
> Hello all,

i'm not a jacktrip dev, so i cannot really speak for them.
BUT...

> Should we Rpi users be downloading rpi os 32bit or 64bit to run with
> jacktrip 1.5.1 and beyond or are either fine?
> How about future versions of
> jacktrip? will support for 32bit be phased out or will it depend on the
> Raspberry Pi Foundation?

i strongly believe that there is absolutely no point in "phasing out"
any architecture.
jacktrip code isn't black magic: it's standard C++/Qt.
i wouldn't expect any issues on the level of "CPU-architectures".
much more important topics are CPU clocking, network speed, avilable
RAM, number of CPU cores and the like.

binaries for jacktrip-1.5.1 are available in Debian(sid) for 19
different architectures[*], including a heavy mixture of 32bit and 64bit
CPUs as well as LittleEndian and BigEndian systems.
(for Debian/stable the situation is similar; but Debian10 comes with
jacktrip-1.3.0...)

now of course many of these CPUs are rather exotic and you probably
don't want (or won't be able) to *run* jacktrip on them, either because
they are laughably underpowered vintage architectures (Motorola
68000,...) or because they are prohibitively expensive datacenter
mainframes (S/390,...).

however, i'm sure i will forward any problems any of my users encounters
on somesuch architecture to the jacktrip developers (hopefully with a
fix attached).

i understand that this is not exactly what you were asking for, but i
think your question was a bit too generic :-)

gmsdr
IOhannes

[*] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=jacktrip&suite=sid
OpenPGP_signature

Jane Wang

Feb 16, 2022, 9:56:50 AM2/16/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Hello IOhannes and all,

IOhannes thank you for your response and the build link.  I appreciate your suggestion re too generic a question.

Okay here is hopefully a less generic question:

Do the jacktrip developers have a recommendation for Rpi 4b users as to which rpi os — release date January 28, 2022 —
[ https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-systems/ ] to use with jacktrip v1.51, the 32bit with desktop or 64bit with desktop and if so, please explain why if possible in simple, non tech terms.

Respectfully,
Jane