Re: [jacktrip-users] "Its time has passed?"

7 views
Skip to first unread message

Mike O'Connor

unread,
Jul 15, 2022, 12:05:28 PMJul 15
to Jacktrip-users
hi Federico,

could you say more about your audio routing and where Loopback and buffer size fit in?  in general, i'd be looking at buffer size more than Loopback to resolve a latency problem, but i'd like to understand more...

i haven't noticed much latency from Loopback, but i'm not a very good musician and often don't notice things that my better/younger companions do.   :-)

On Jul 15, 2022, at 10:00 AM, Federico Barluzzi <fedeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Mike,

Do you feel comfortable using the Loopback monitoring function? I can feel a lot of delay like when you use hi buffer size. Sorry but I’m just curious ☺️.
Btw I’m using Ardour with JACK and I absolutely love it!

P.s. I would also recommend this https://gingeraudio.com/

Cheers 

Federico 

Il giorno 15 lug 2022, alle ore 16:31, Marc Ainger <aing...@osu.edu> ha scritto:


Hi Ken,

I believe the answer is that jack  does not work on Mac after Catalina. Jacktrip does work, but you must use RtAudio instead of jack as the backend.
With Windows, or anything non-MacOS, jack still works, and is still be actively developed.
Correct me if this is wrong, but it is my understanding.

I do routing with BlackHole, but I imagine that Loopback, as Mike has pointed out, provides even better possibilities.

I will also mention that our postdoc, Fede Camara Halac, built a mixer in Pd for Jack by  grafting some of Miller Puckette's NettyMcNetFace code. it's a pretty interesting idea that could probably be extended (using the hubmode 3(? ) to route Jacktrip to Pd).
 (If we want to continue this particular discussion, maybe you can start a new thread - I imagine this one is kind of buried now...)

Best,
Marc
On Friday, July 15, 2022 at 8:23:06 AM UTC-4 oconn...@gmail.com wrote:
hi Ken, 

there are a number of ways to do complex audio routing with Jacktrip.  i feel like i've only scratched the surface and am sure there are lots of others on this list who can contribute other examples.  but here are a couple...

this is a blog about using Loopback to do connections between Jacktrip and a variety of softwares (including Logic, Ableton Live and Max).  it only covers very basic scenarios.  for example, the scenarios only describe one thing at a time (eg, into Logic, out of Logic).  i limited my examples to a very small audio interface (Focusrite 2i2) and only two-channel audio.  but out of the building blocks described there it's possible to do all kinds of cool audio routing -- including passing audio from a player to performer who layers a performance on top and then back back to the player again.


another approach is to switch to a DAW that natively supports Jack for mixing and recording and then loading the results into another DAW (ala Logic) for post process.  i've had very good results doing larger scale (up to 20 people so far) mixing and recording rehearsals and performances using the Ardour DAW as the routing/mixing fabric on an inexpensive headless Linux (Linode) server.  more on that here...


as i said, i'm sure there are LOTs of other examples.  :-)

mike o'conoor

On Jul 15, 2022, at 6:55 AM, Kenneth Fields <ken.f...@gmail.com> wrote:

hi,
my concern is related to using JT in an environments that needs to be more responsive to complex setups.
In the past we used Jack audio (with router) to patch JT channels into for example, Logic Pro.

How are you recording your choir? How do you get jacktrip output into your recording software? 

Ken








On Jul 15, 2022, at 7:08 PM, Sondra Harnes <sondra...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am puzzled by your remarks. I have a new Apple computer with the chip. JT is working very well. I teach private voice lessons and also have rehearsals for my children's choir using JT. We also just set up to have hybrid rehearsals in September. Some students will be singing together in person in Arlington, VA. They will be joined by students singing from home here, as well as others who live outside the Washington, DC area. We are receiving requests for information from parents whose children who need to continue to quarantine for medical reasons, as well as a few parents who like the idea of not have to drive to rehearsal. 

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022, 12:59 AM Ken Fields <ken.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, we're getting ready to update artsmesh.  
The artsmesh router and Jack audio combination are still working great on macOS Mojave. But it's time to M(2) up.
Sorry, I've been distant from network music activities for a while. I'll do some catch-up this summer.

as i understand it. jack audio is not working on new macos M series chips correct? 
Does it just not install at all? Is it not compatible at all with the new macOS architecture now?
Or is it just the jack router application that doesn't work? Could someone clarify that. 

Are there any dream scenarios for macOS next generation inter-application routing. suggestions?
Should we try to convert our jack router to an RtRouter? Is that even possible?
Does Rtaudio even have the api for inter-application io?

Otherwise, do blackhole and Dante facilitate any multichannel visual routing tools to jacktrip? anyone doing that?

Other suggestions?

Appreciate your feedback.

Ken


On Wednesday, January 26, 2022 at 2:21:07 AM UTC+8 Synthia wrote:

Beth is using the old command line version of JackTrip, and I would encourage everyone to become familiar with the latest version that does not require using the command line, and includes a GUI, that's a graphical user interface. It is extremely easy to use and even allows using RtAudio as the backend, instead of JACK! Please try it and experience the massive new developments.

Synthia

On 1/25/2022 7:59 AM, BG Lyon wrote:
Just an update - we've added FarPlay into our mix (thanks Dan!) because for some folks the complications of JackTrip are formidable enough to strike fear in their hearts.  I use both - command line JackTrip, esp since FarPlay does not yet allow more than two connections at a time and we like to play in groups, and FarPlay, with folks who prefer the simplicity (most recently as a trio, using a splitter for our headsets, and it was glorious).  FarPlay would not exist were it not for JackTrip - I believe that's correct?  I could be wrong, but that is how I understand its development.  I will say it again, this time with the appropriate lack of comma, ;),  "Its time is just beginning" --  a huge and grateful shout out to all in the community who have continually aided in the development of these life-changing and mood-improving technologies.  
Beth

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 8:31 PM joel bass <joel...@gmail.com> wrote:
:  )

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 2:21:21 PM UTC-4 bethly...@gmail.com wrote:
Gosh.  I can not begin to express the gratitude I feel to the JackTrip community in general (and Synthia in particular!!) for making it possible to play together not only during lockdown, but also when we don't feel well, or the weather is bad, or our friends or family happen to live several hundred miles away (!!) - I've been playing regularly over the interwebs thanks to JackTrip with friends several states away in the US and with my son who lives a couple hours away by car (and never has any time - so this way, no planning, we can just spur of the moment play together).  I'd say, quite to the contrary, we're only now beginning to realize the potential this technology offers us all.  It's time is just beginning.
Cheers!
Beth

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 4:06 AM Robert Holland <rebho...@gmail.com> wrote:
For various reasons (relating to moving house) I've not been able to contribute for a while, but was intrigued by the above comment on FB this morning re availability of the Virtual Studio devices (now renamed 'bridges' - thanks Synthia).

I'm gradually getting back to some live playing with community groups over here in the UK but I have been playing regularly with a small group using JackTrip for several months now. Other than a few very enthusiastic 'JackTrippers', it has proved very difficult getting people to take much interest over the summer months.

Now that amatuer groups are allowed to meet face to face again, and with autumn / winter approaching, I sense that there is actually increased interest, especially as it is now much easier to invite people into our JackTrip equipped homes to demonstrate the technology in use and while Covid restrictions remain in place at many community venues. I sense that many elderly musicians especially don't want to be travelling out late at night for rehearsals during winter months to meet in poorly ventilated rooms. Our 80 year old swing band drummer is now back to doing several nights a week, hauling his drum kit in and out of his car each time. He'd dearly love more people to be using JackTrip!

Just wondering what other members of this group felt about the comment as activity on this user group has also reduced in recent months.

Cheers,

--
Robert E B Holland




--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "jacktrip-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jacktrip-user...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAB_9hjP0iHmqDxzG%3DmGL7az37ucsft%2BaDfpusiPG2CyxztyWpw%40mail.gmail.com.
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "jacktrip-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jacktrip-user...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/ad4fcc79-76fb-4f4c-98d1-928ef75f6055n%40googlegroups.com.
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "jacktrip-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jacktrip-user...@googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "jacktrip-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jacktrip-user...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/9e14b7b6-f9bc-4f9a-9d5c-e416e3d5967cn%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "jacktrip-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jacktrip-user...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAK15hvsZt38w3n_wZCLA-VDE%2BzAJ6Sp0skYgh7w_kZEz3DCJrQ%40mail.gmail.com.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "jacktrip-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jacktrip-user...@googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "jacktrip-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jacktrip-user...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/3aab1069-beba-4e7c-ae1a-ae7de0a32d60n%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "jacktrip-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jacktrip-user...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/3E518222-9F55-44B0-B777-E477213A6794%40gmail.com.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages