[announce] JackTrip packages for Ubuntu

IOhannes m zmoelnig

Apr 6, 2022, 4:48:41 AM4/6/22
to jacktrip-users

hi all,

Most of you do not know me (as I'm not very active in the JackTrip
community), however: as a Debian Developer I'm maintaining a couple of
multimedia related packages, among them "jacktrip".
So if you are running a Debian-based Linux distribution (e.g. Ubuntu,
Mint,...), and install JackTrip via a simple 'apt-get install jacktrip',
then you now know whom to thank for :facepalm:.

As explained in the past, I strive for keeping up-to-date with upstream
development, which means that typically new releases of JackTrip are
available in the Debian archives within two weeks¹.

However, due to the nature of release-based Linux distributions (like
Debian, or Ubuntu), this does not mean that the updated packages are
available for users right away.
Ubuntu releases every half year, so it can take up to 6 months until
people, who use the latest and greatest release of Ubuntu, will "see"
the new packages.
Alas! many users do not trust "the latest and greatest release of
Ubuntu", and instead stick with old and trusted LTS versions, which are
updated every other year. LTS gives you "enterprise grade stability",
and imho is targetted enterprises running servers and the like (as
opposed to: multimedia productions).
Debian has a release cycle of 2 years to begin with...
Now the very nature of release-based Linux distributions is, that the
software found in any given release is *frozen* (except for critical
bugs) at the time of the release.
So Ubuntu-18.04 is shipping software that is brand-new in spring 2018.
If your clock (like mine) keeps ticking, that means that in spring 2022
all software you will get from "Bionic Beaver (LTS)" is 4 years old (the
LTS means, that you don't have to worry about grave security bugs - at
least if you keep your system udpated).

Now people are (of course) ambiguous: they want super stable worry-free
systems (therefore they stick with their "16.04 (LTS)" Ubuntu from half
a decade ago), but at the same time want to have the latest and greatest
software that was released just 2 weeks ago.

Luckily, Ubuntu offers PPAs: additional repositories where you can get
newer versions of your favourite packages (at least: if somebody cares
enough to maintain them for you).

Since I already do the caring part for the Debian packages, I decided
(last night) to also create a PPA for JackTrip, so you can install the
latest and greatest version within reasonable time after a release with
a simple 'apt-get upgrade' and without the need to compile JackTrip
yourself.

Something like this should do the trick:

```
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:umlaeute/jacktrip
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install jacktrip-gui
```

(if instead you want the command-line version of jacktrip only, use
`sudo apt-get install jacktrip` instead)

have fun.

gfmdras
IOhannes

¹ and *of-course* i missed the JackTrip-1.5.3 release, 1½ weeks ago.
i've just uploaded them now...
OpenPGP_signature

Jane Wang

Apr 6, 2022, 6:57:02 AM4/6/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
hi IOhannes,

Thank you for your announcement and hard work!

I was wondering if there is a way to install specific previous versions of jacktrip and if so what the command lines would be for installing.

The reason I am asking is that in Sarah Weaver’s NowNet Arts Hub ensemble, members of the ensemble try to use the same version of jacktrip thru one concert season.  If a debian based participant joins the group after a newer jacktrip version is released, will that participant be able to install the same older version of jacktrip that the rest of the ensemble has?

Thanks much,
Jane Wang
ps, I wrote the RPi standalone guide that is currently on the jacktrip support website, three current ensemble members including myself use debian based rpi’s

Sent from my ipad apologies for typos etc

IOhannes m zmoelnig

Apr 6, 2022, 8:09:40 AM4/6/22

On 4/6/22 12:56, Jane Wang wrote:
> hi IOhannes,
>
> Thank you for your announcement and hard work!
>
> I was wondering if there is a way to install specific previous versions of
> jacktrip and if so what the command lines would be for installing.

afaict, PPAs automatically purge older releases (at least. I don't see
the 1.5.2 uploads any more), so i think the answer to your question is:
no, you can't have all the uploaded packages.

(i just asked on the irc, and this suspicion was confirmed).

> The reason I am asking is that in Sarah Weaver’s NowNet Arts Hub ensemble,
> members of the ensemble try to use the same version of jacktrip thru one
> concert season.

is this
- based on some evidence that *newer* versions don't play well with
older versions
- or for instructional reasons ("now we all click the 'Enable Jitter
Buffer' toggle on the 'Jitter Buffer' tab..." - "Excuse me, I don't have
this toggle, but there's a 'Send Jiffies' button, should I click that
instead?")
- or just because of superstition (e.g. because some buggy *older*
version wouldn't play well (at all), and upgrading that to the same new
version as everybody else fixed it)?

(sorry if the questions sounds a bit rude, it's meant as a real question)

gfadms
IOhannes
OpenPGP_signature

Mike O'Connor

Apr 6, 2022, 8:17:25 AM4/6/22
to Jacktrip-users
hi IOhannes.

this is wonderful!  thank you!

a couple of notes:

add-apt-repository wasn't on my system (Debian 11).

i found the reference saying that it's in the software-properties-common package and successfully installed it per instructions with:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install software-properties-common

the add-repository then ran -- but the apt-update ran with signing errors.

root@localhost:~# sudo add-apt-repository ppa:umlaeute/jacktrip

 high-quality system for audio network performances
Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it

gpg: keybox '/tmp/tmpniv4y562/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: /tmp/tmpniv4y562/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key B3AF17E958530571: public key "Launchpad PPA for IOhannes m zmoelnig" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1
Warning: apt-key is deprecated. Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d instead (see apt-key(8)).
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.

root@localhost:~# apt-get update

Hit:1 http://mirrors.linode.com/debian bullseye InRelease
Hit:2 http://mirrors.linode.com/debian-security bullseye-security/updates InRelease
Hit:3 http://mirrors.linode.com/debian bullseye-updates InRelease
  The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY B3AF17E958530571
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net/umlaeute/jacktrip/ubuntu jammy InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY B3AF17E958530571
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

i then ran installs on the gui version...

root@localhost:~# apt-get install jacktrip-gui
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package jacktrip-gui

and the terminal version

root@localhost:~# apt-get install jacktrip
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
  iperf audacity
  jacktrip
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 10.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 22.0 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://mirrors.linode.com/debian bullseye/main amd64 jacktrip amd64 1.3.0+ds0-1 [10.1 MB]
Fetched 10.1 MB in 0s (84.2 MB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package jacktrip.
(Reading database ... 66450 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../jacktrip_1.3.0+ds0-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking jacktrip (1.3.0+ds0-1) ...
Setting up jacktrip (1.3.0+ds0-1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.4-2) ...

which installed version 1.5.1

root@localhost:~# jacktrip -v
JackTrip VERSION: 1.5.1
Copyright (c) 2008-2021 Juan-Pablo Caceres, Chris Chafe.
SoundWIRE group at CCRMA, Stanford University
This build of JackTrip is subject to LGPL license.
JackTrip source code is released under MIT and GPL licenses.
See LICENSE.md file for more information.

do you see anything that i'm not doing quite right?  or that i need to add?

thanks!  this is terrific!  i'm sure we'll get this figured out.  :-)

mike

Mike O'Connor

Apr 6, 2022, 8:25:57 AM4/6/22
to Jacktrip-users
pay no attention to the last bit (installing 1.5.1)  that's a quirk of the way i've got my system set up.  reading the output more carefully (in a larger font), my local 1.5.1 install is getting picked up rather than the standard 1.3.0 that was installed by apt.  my bad.

mike

IOhannes m zmoelnig

Apr 6, 2022, 8:31:20 AM4/6/22

On 4/6/22 14:17, Mike O'Connor wrote:

> add-apt-repository wasn't on my system (Debian 11).

i don't really think that Debian integrates PPAs just as easy as Ubuntu.
i think that *typical* Ubuntu installations will come with the reequired
tools (i only tested on a minimal bionic Docker image, where they are
not included; but installing "software-properties-common" did the trick)

so afaict, most of your issues come from different expectations of
Ubuntu vs Debian.

you *might* want to file a bug against "software-properties-common" that
they should fix add-apt-repository to properly work the PPAs.

> > The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY B3AF17E958530571
> Reading package lists... Done
> W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net/umlaeute/jacktrip/ubuntu jammy InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY B3AF17E958530571

you could of course just import my key manually into your apt keyring.

> Unpacking jacktrip (1.3.0+ds0-1) ...
> Setting up jacktrip (1.3.0+ds0-1) ...
[...]
> which installed version 1.5.1

sure?

the instructions were basically copied from
<https://launchpad.net/~umlaeute/+archive/ubuntu/jacktrip>

dgfmd
IOhannes
OpenPGP_signature

Mike O'Connor

Apr 6, 2022, 8:39:02 AM4/6/22
to Jacktrip-users
hi IOhannes,

the idea of me, Mike The Village Idiot, filing a bug report against "software-properties-common" brings me to my knees with laughter. i wouldn't be able to answer a single question they might ask. ;-)

yeah, i think importing your public key will be the answer -- but (see "village idiot" above) how do i do that?

and yeah, i hand-loaded an image of 1.5.1 on that system and i put it in usr/local/bin which overrode the usr/bin/jacktrip that apt put there. sorry about that.

thanks,

mike

Jane Wang

Apr 6, 2022, 9:01:28 AM4/6/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
hi IOhannes,

in answer to your question re the ensemble, here is my understanding of the reason why.

the reason the ensemble tries to maintain consistency in jacktrip versions is that the ensemble only meets twice a month in general, once to tech and rehearse and the second time tech, rehearse briefly and then perform.  the group is international and it is hard enough to find times when everyone can get together.  there are usually at least 16 ensemble members running on different systems and using different audio interfaces.  upgrading each time we meet to the latest version of jacktrip for everyone in the group many of whom are not comfortable with tech issues would be time consuming, painful (some members might not be able to do it in time) and leave probably no time to rehearse.  we also have different and new members joining each month.  if everyone is at least running the same version of jacktrip, that makes some of the tech a little smoother.  if its random what version of jacktrip someone is on who is having a tech issue, chasing down errors can get more complicated and time consuming.  I hope that makes sense.

I am wondering if in future the ensemble might be able to adopt a model wherein everyone has to try to have at least run a certain version of jacktrip and new joiners can use whatever the latest version is if they need to upgrade given that they might not be able to retrieve the same version of jacktrip that everyone else has.

Mike, perhaps this is already the case anyway, I am not sure (Mike has generously been donating his time and patience to helping ensemble members install and upgrade jacktrip, not a fun process).

Presumably whenever there is a major upgrade to jacktrip, the entire ensemble will have to do the upgrade.

Best, Jane

Jane Wang

Apr 6, 2022, 9:09:28 AM4/6/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
ps and yes as you mentioned, sometimes it is also that depending on what version of jacktrip you have, a certain command line option might not exist or possibly have a different label, etc

Mike O'Connor

Apr 6, 2022, 9:59:26 AM4/6/22
to Jacktrip-users
i just stood up an Ubuntu 21.10 server on Linode

your instructions ran clean and installed 1.5.3

i then stood up a plain Debian 11 server (mine are customized a bit and could have caused the error)

instructions would need to include the steps to add the 'add-apt-repository' command (it's not in the base Debian 11 that Linode puts up)

i added the command.

i ran into a new error when adding the repository

root@localhost:~# sudo add-apt-repository ppa:umlaeute/jacktrip

 high-quality system for audio network performances
Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it

Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/threading.py", line 954, in _bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/threading.py", line 892, in run
    self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 688, in addkey_func
    func(**kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py", line 386, in add_key
    return apsk.add_ppa_signing_key()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py", line 251, in add_ppa_signing_key
    if not self._recv_key(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py", line 176, in _recv_key
    res = subprocess.call(self.GPG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS + [
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 349, in call
    with Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs) as p:
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 951, in __init__
    self._execute_child(args, executable, preexec_fn, close_fds,
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 1823, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'gpg'
root@localhost:~#

that looks like where i should stop.

mike

IOhannes m zmölnig

Apr 6, 2022, 4:11:28 PM4/6/22

On 4/6/22 15:59, Mike O'Connor wrote:
> i just stood up an Ubuntu 21.10 server on Linode
>
> your instructions ran clean and installed 1.5.3

cool.

> i then stood up a plain Debian 11 server (mine are customized a bit and could have caused the error)

no.
the errors you got originally were about `add-apt-repository` and some
tools it uses under the hood being deprecated by Debian¹ (but not by
Ubuntu, obviously).

> instructions would need to include the steps to add the 'add-apt-repository' command (it's not in the base Debian 11 that Linode puts up)
>
> i added the command.
>
> i ran into a new error when adding the repository
>
> root@localhost:~# sudo add-apt-repository ppa:umlaeute/jacktrip
[...]
> FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'gpg'
> root@localhost:~#
>
> that looks like where i should stop.

that error seems easy enough to fix (just install 'gnupg') - which will
get you back to where you left with your initial attempt.

but anyhow, let me re-phrase: PPAs are for Ubuntu. They are *not* meant
to be consumed by Debian². So why do you think you should try?

mgdsr
IOhannes

¹ "apt-key" is deprecated as the warning in your original mail
explicitely says. i don't think that "add-apt-repository" itself is
deprecated - it's just that Debian does not endorse the liberal adding
of random repositories at all (see my initial email in the same vein).
The fact that the 'add-apt-repository' command is available in the first
place, is probably just a byproduct of keeping packages in sync between
Debian and downstream distributions.

² <arrogance>it seems that there's a plethora of blogposts out there
that describe how to use some randome PPA in Debian. I find the quality
of each of those that I looked at rather...poor. I think their is a
reason why nobody competent (that is: from Ubuntu, Debian, or both) has
written such a blogpost yet. So - while I think it is pretty easy to do
if you know what you are doing - I (not really being "competent" either)
don't think I *should* add another instruction set that people will
blindly follow to shoot themselves in their knees.</arrogance>
OpenPGP_signature

Mike O'Connor

Apr 6, 2022, 7:35:34 PM4/6/22
to Jacktrip-users

On Apr 6, 2022, at 3:11 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoe...@iem.at> wrote:

On 4/6/22 15:59, Mike O'Connor wrote:
i just stood up an Ubuntu 21.10 server on Linode
your instructions ran clean and installed 1.5.3

cool.

i thought so too.  :-)

i then stood up a plain Debian 11 server (mine are customized a bit and could have caused the error)

no.
the errors you got originally were about `add-apt-repository` and some tools it uses under the hood being deprecated by Debian¹ (but not by Ubuntu, obviously).

right.

instructions would need to include the steps to add the 'add-apt-repository' command (it's not in the base Debian 11 that Linode puts up)
i added the command.
i ran into a new error when adding the repository
root@localhost:~# sudo add-apt-repository ppa:umlaeute/jacktrip
[...]
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'gpg'
root@localhost:~#
that looks like where i should stop.

that error seems easy enough to fix (just install 'gnupg') - which will get you back to where you left with your initial attempt.

<facepalm>  sorry about that.

but anyhow, let me re-phrase: PPAs are for Ubuntu. They are *not* meant to be consumed by Debian². So why do you think you should try?

ah.  for that, i have to go all the way back to the first post in the thread.  i thought that was the goal.  here's the quote:

Most of you do not know me (as I'm not very active in the JackTrip community), however: as a Debian Developer I'm maintaining a couple of multimedia related packages, among them "jacktrip".
So if you are running a Debian-based Linux distribution (e.g. Ubuntu, Mint,...), and install JackTrip via a simple 'apt-get install jacktrip', then you now know whom to thank for :facepalm:.

As explained in the past, I strive for keeping up-to-date with upstream development, which means that typically new releases of JackTrip are available in the Debian archives within two weeks¹.

Since I already do the caring part for the Debian packages, I decided (last night) to also create a PPA for JackTrip, so you can install the latest and greatest version within reasonable time after a release with a simple 'apt-get upgrade' and without the need to compile JackTrip yourself.

so i thought this was all about Debian.  is there a process already in place to load latest-release Jacktrip on to a Debian machine through apt?  a pointer to that series of commands would be terrific.

mike

[...]

IOhannes m zmoelnig

Apr 7, 2022, 2:48:12 AM4/7/22

On 4/7/22 01:35, Mike O'Connor wrote:

>> but anyhow, let me re-phrase: PPAs are for Ubuntu. They are *not* meant to be consumed by Debian². So why do you think you should try?
>
> ah. for that, i have to go all the way back to the first post in the thread. i thought that was the goal. here's the quote:

[...]
> so i thought this was all about Debian.

i see.
i guess i was trusting too much in the subject (which only mentions Ubuntu).

> is there a process already in place to load latest-release Jacktrip on to a Debian machine through apt? a pointer to that series of commands would be terrific.

the proper way would be to put jacktrip into Debian backports[1].
you could create a "wishlist" bug in the Debian bugtracker that just
requests such a backport:
```
reportbug jacktrip
```

(there are a couple of questions, but i hope far less intimidating than
with software-properties-common)

gmfdsr
IOhannes

PS: just for the record: unlike with PPAs where it is easy to provide
packages for as old releases as bionic, i would not have *any* intention
of providing backports for anything else but Debian/stable (so:
currently that would mean, backports for Debian11/bullseye, but not for
Debian10/buster nor Debian9/stretch)

[1] https://backports.debian.org
OpenPGP_signature

Mike O'Connor

Apr 7, 2022, 12:02:22 PM4/7/22
to Jacktrip-users
hey you developers, if any of you are following this conversation. can you please do the 'reportbug' thing that IOhannes is talking about? i gave it a try and it failed because... it wants to Sendmail configured. the last time i ran Sendmail was... a long long long time ago, and i'm NOT going back there.

mike

Roman Haefeli

Apr 7, 2022, 1:49:24 PM4/7/22
On Thu, 2022-04-07 at 11:02 -0500, Mike O'Connor wrote:
> hey you developers, if any of you are following this
> conversation. can you please do the 'reportbug' thing that IOhannes
> is talking about?

Roman
signature.asc

Mike O'Connor

Apr 7, 2022, 3:53:45 PM4/7/22
to Jacktrip-users
Roman! brilliant!

can you (or somebody) also keep an eye on this and update the documentation to tell us end-users how we can load it? right now the documentation points to apt install jacktrip, which will load 1.3.1. it then points people to the releases page for anything newer. it would be nice to have an explanation and a series of commands like the ones that IOhannes posted. here's the page i'm talkin' 'bout.

https://jacktrip.github.io/jacktrip/Install/

thanks,

mike