announcement: A Pretty-Good Jacktrip Toolkit (a four step path to a running Linode graphical-interface Jacktrip virtual server)

Mike O'Connor

Apr 25, 2021, 5:46:14 PM4/25/21
to Jacktrip-users
hi all,

my friend Ralph Jenson (the brains) and i (the brawn) have published a community StackScript at Linode that will deploy a graphical-interface Linode server with Jacktrip, Jmess, Qjackctl and the Ardour DAW preinstalled.  our thought is that it can be used either as a HUB server for musicians, a teaching aid or as a testbed for experimentation.

it builds Jacktrip from the main Github repository.  so version 1.3.0 as of this writing.

it's based on this post by Michael Desson and Bonnie Kwong.

here are the four steps:

– Provision a Linode server with this StackScript (available as a Community Stackscript at Linode)
– SSH into server and run: ~/create_jacktrip_server.sh
– Answer “yes” to the prompt in the script
– Log into Glish and run: startxfce4

here's a link to the documentation page (which provides a step by step guide to doing the install and answers FAQ's)

– https://www.haven2.com/index.php/a-pretty-good-jacktrip-toolkit-part-1-installation

i've been having a great time playing around with it, hopefully some of you will too.

mike

Larry W Jordan Jr

Apr 30, 2021, 3:36:25 PM4/30/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
I used this today and I appreciate the time investment, it made things super easy. Couple extra tools and VNC shows good things...

image.png

Mike O'Connor

Apr 30, 2021, 4:18:50 PM4/30/21
to Jacktrip-users
hi Larry,

i'm glad to hear that.   your screenshot is a good example of how to tailor the basic Jacktrip toolkit.  not to mention the VNC hint.

do you have any easy tips on how to VNC into that rascal directly, instead of through Linode's GLISH interface?  i haven't dug into that yet, but am growing a little weary of the periodic glitches in GLISH.  running a local VNC client would also make copy-paste and other command-strings work better.

thanks,

mike

On Apr 30, 2021, at 2:36 PM, Larry W Jordan Jr <lar...@gmail.com> wrote:

I used this today and I appreciate the time investment, it made things super easy. Couple extra tools and VNC shows good things...

<image.png>

Larry W Jordan Jr

Apr 30, 2021, 4:58:19 PM4/30/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
This was the guide I used, really simple. I did all the work from one SSH session.

Mike O'Connor

Apr 30, 2021, 7:58:05 PM4/30/21
to Jacktrip-users
ah! just the ticket. i started with a baseline server from the script, and ran this from the command line:

sudo apt install gnome-icon-theme tightvncserver

which adds some graphical theme bits and the vnc server. everything ran fine, i logged in with a proper client and promptly lost an hour editing a complex setup in Ardour. soooo much nicer/faster to use.

thanks! i'm gonna add those packages to the script.

mike