clicks in broadcast channel recording

sid g

Apr 7, 2021, 10:58:51 AM4/7/21
to jacktrip-users
hello all--i've been trying to record my jacktrip sessions through qjackctl connections
to reaper.  i have a marginal internet connection but have been able to have practice
sessions with a neighbor who must be on the same dsl branch and with my son in
montreal (i'm in barton, vermont).  i've used both peer to peer and hub/client connections;
for the hub/client connection i set up a server on my mainframe (6 core processor) with
the command jacktrip -S -n1 -z -b8  --broadcast xx -Kserver and in another terminal window
i set up a client with the command jacktrip -C 127.0.0.1 -n1 -z -b8 -Kdesktop.  i have an rpi4 connected
via wifi and i use qjacktrip to connect; i've used both an internal connection ( -C 192.168.1.41)
and an external connection ( -C 71.169.169.xx).  in the mainframe jacktrip connections window
i can connect either the broadcast or the main send from both the desktop client and the rpi4
jacktrip connections to reaper track inputs.  when i record the send inputs, i get signals more
or less in sync with each other, some digital noise but no major extraneous clicks.  but when i
record the broadcast channels, the local (127.0.0.1) channel is clean but the rpi broadcast channel
has lots of clipped click spikes whether i use the lan (192.x.x.x) or external (71.x.x.x) server ip.
i got the same spikes when i recorded my son on broadcast from montreal and my neighbor
down the road so i don't think it's wifi associated.  and it's not just noisy internet; i don't
get the spikes on the direct send, only the broadcast channel.  i thought it might have something
to do with the broadcast channel not using the -z option, as i can hear some silence gaps in
the direct send recording, but i don't know how to verify this.  has anyone else had this
experience with the broadcast mode and has anyone solved the problem?  i've tried different
values of redundancy with the rpi and different frame rates with no obvious connection; there
seems to be a variation in the spike width when i vary the broadcast buffer number but the
connection isn't obvious.  thanks in advance for any insights anyone can provide.  sid gulick