JackTrip volume control and signal processing for each user

John Lyon

Apr 25, 2021, 2:19:55 PM4/25/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

If you have some Linux skills, it’s possible to set up a JackTrip server with volume control for each user, and other mixing controls such as tone (EQ), compression, limiting, reverb, and so on.  There are now several videos on youtube explaining different ways to do this.

My JackTrip server runs in an UnRaid virtual machine (VM) running Red Hat Fedora, in part because the JackTrip developers at Stanford actually use Fedora as their default operating system.  In the video below, jack-mixer and Jamin are used to control volume and signal processing.  In my experience, older versions of jack-mixer can be problematic.and instead of using  the Jamin app, I have installed the Calf Audio Plugins, which work well.  I also installed the JMess app which allows me to save and restore my QJackCtl connections. This is useful, because those QJackCtl connections can get quite convoluted and complex. I had to compile JMess, jack-mixer, and QJackTrip on Fedora.  Yes, it helps that I am a retired Unix Programmer/Analyst and. Sysadmin.

Programs like Jamulus and Sonobus are great in that they have reverb and volume control built in, and are much easier to understand and use.  I put up with JackTrip and it’s complexity for one reason:  the sound quality.  For my musocian friends who lack my computer skills and enthusiasm, the GUI version of JackTrip, QJckTrip, in conjunction with QJackCtl, is much easier to use.   I happen to love the power of the Linux terminal.  GUI front ends for Linux programs often offer only a fraction of the features available in the text terminal version.

I have had moments of magic playing with friends using JackTrip. None of the other jamming programs I have used have been able to match that.

Cheers,

John Lyon

--
Cheers,

John

John Lyon, 1009 Kinloch Lane, North Vancouver, V7G 1V8, 604-929-8757