"Its time has passed?"

Robert Holland

Sep 15, 2021, 4:06:04 AMSep 15
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
For various reasons (relating to moving house) I've not been able to contribute for a while, but was intrigued by the above comment on FB this morning re availability of the Virtual Studio devices (now renamed 'bridges' - thanks Synthia).

I'm gradually getting back to some live playing with community groups over here in the UK but I have been playing regularly with a small group using JackTrip for several months now. Other than a few very enthusiastic 'JackTrippers', it has proved very difficult getting people to take much interest over the summer months.

Now that amatuer groups are allowed to meet face to face again, and with autumn / winter approaching, I sense that there is actually increased interest, especially as it is now much easier to invite people into our JackTrip equipped homes to demonstrate the technology in use and while Covid restrictions remain in place at many community venues. I sense that many elderly musicians especially don't want to be travelling out late at night for rehearsals during winter months to meet in poorly ventilated rooms. Our 80 year old swing band drummer is now back to doing several nights a week, hauling his drum kit in and out of his car each time. He'd dearly love more people to be using JackTrip!

Just wondering what other members of this group felt about the comment as activity on this user group has also reduced in recent months.

Cheers,

--
Robert E B Holland

BG Lyon

Sep 15, 2021, 2:21:21 PMSep 15
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Gosh.  I can not begin to express the gratitude I feel to the JackTrip community in general (and Synthia in particular!!) for making it possible to play together not only during lockdown, but also when we don't feel well, or the weather is bad, or our friends or family happen to live several hundred miles away (!!) - I've been playing regularly over the interwebs thanks to JackTrip with friends several states away in the US and with my son who lives a couple hours away by car (and never has any time - so this way, no planning, we can just spur of the moment play together).  I'd say, quite to the contrary, we're only now beginning to realize the potential this technology offers us all.  It's time is just beginning.
Cheers!
Beth

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Sep 15, 2021, 2:36:01 PMSep 15
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your kind words, Beth!
It should be noted that Beth is using the command line version of
JackTrip and her community has done quite well with it. I believe the
comment in this string is referring to the JackTrip hardware devices and
could be related to their availability outside of the US. I hope that
the devices will be more widely distributed in the near future.

synthia

On 9/15/2021 11:20 AM, BG Lyon wrote:
> Gosh.  I can not begin to express the gratitude I feel to the JackTrip
> community in general (and Synthia in particular!!) for making it
> possible to play together not only during lockdown, but also when we
> don't feel well, or the weather is bad, or our friends or family happen
> to live several hundred miles away (!!) - I've been playing regularly
> over the interwebs thanks to JackTrip with friends several states away
> in the US and with my son who lives a couple hours away by car (and
> never has any time - so this way, no planning, we can just spur of the
> moment play together).  I'd say, quite to the contrary, we're only now
> beginning to realize the potential this technology offers us all.  I*t's
> time is just beginning.*
> <mailto:jacktrip-user...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAB_9hjP0iHmqDxzG%3DmGL7az37ucsft%2BaDfpusiPG2CyxztyWpw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CACFa5NkWheLMo-8oqKZN2SXLWk7bQW3BwAg6G3ck7NbfU9PkFQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CACFa5NkWheLMo-8oqKZN2SXLWk7bQW3BwAg6G3ck7NbfU9PkFQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Chris Chafe

Sep 15, 2021, 2:56:13 PMSep 15
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
It's the same for me, too. I've never done so much playing and it's
being able join in from home that's the difference.

A huge thanks to the JackTrip developers who've jumped in since the start of
the pandemic and have kept up an incredible pace of improvements.

For anyone who'd like to try the latest software version, it's at
and includes installers to try out. The "rc" stands for "release candidate."
We're hoping to finalize version 1.4 shortly and any feedback would be
super useful.

The new features are listed here:

Chris

Michael Dessen

Sep 15, 2021, 3:48:57 PMSep 15
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Thank you to Chris for the updates and to all the developers and people providing support for the ongoing work and foundation! The new additions in 1.4 look great.

Michael

Robert Holland

Sep 16, 2021, 5:34:47 AMSep 16
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your comments and everyone's hard work in making JackTrip more accessible.

I totally agree with Beth's comments about this just being the beginning. I'll keep plugging away at it over here as there are no significant problems with broadband in this part of the UK (South Yorkshire) when using the Virtual Studio servers in London, although reliance on WiFi remains a significant problem.

I had a two hour car journey last night (plus a Covid test and an hour's set up / tear down) to play with our swing band at it's first rehearsal since March 2020. All this for just over 60 minutes playing against a backing track (no drums, bass or piano available). I'm not sure I want to do this again on a weekly basis - times have changed.

I think I need to invite some of our wind players and singers to my home to give this a whirl. Those with larger instruments and equipment to carry to rehearsals are much easier to convince about the benefits of JackTrip.

Onwards and upwards!

neal rhodes

Sep 20, 2021, 9:40:12 PMSep 20
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Our situation remains stable, and we use our local server and VS boxes every week for two music groups at church.  Two groups use it for practice, and the chancel choir actually feeds 5 voices into the sanctuary to mix in with the onsite choir for services.   I haven't paid much (ok, any) attention to changes because what we're doing works good enough.

regards,

Neal