Homebuilt VS device with full Raspbian install

Ridgefield Gleaners

Mar 26, 2021, 11:21:47 AM3/26/21
to jacktrip-users
Hi. I have built a standard VS device with the JT Foundation provided SIM image - works fine. I wanted a second device with a standard build and desktop (to use additional audio tools and qjackctl for example). Device is built and looks like I am down to just a couple of errors.

The script jacktrip-patches.sh is retrieving patches but reports an error (mount point busy) when trying to return "/" to readonly status. Since I have two VS devices and compare them step by step, I see that with the "standard" image, "/" is mounted as readonly and only set rw for specific operations.

Does anyone know or have thoughts/suggestions on whether the readonly status is important for JT functionality? Was this done mostly to reduce the likelihood of SIM card corruption? Looks to this novice like most logging is not enabled with the standard image FWIW.

Next to debug is getting jacktrip-clock going without errors - for another post.

Thank you Jacktrip community!

Norman

Dave Adams

Mar 26, 2021, 7:53:50 PM3/26/21
to jacktrip-users
I'll be interested to hear an authoritative response on this.

As a consumer of the JVSD I find the readonly has several benefits:
1) limits log writing to tempfs, so the logs go away when the power goes away
2) because of #1, greatly increases the expected lifespan of the SD card
3) virtually eliminates "oops" situations where one of my users claims, "but I didn't change ANYthing!"
4) DOES in include rw and ro aliases for if I REALLY need to change something.
5) eliminates me having to walk people through a clean shutdown.  Unplugging can do no harm.

I am hugely impressed by the appliance-like behavior of the JVSD!
Hope your "device busy" gets sorted quickly!

Ridgefield Gleaners

Mar 27, 2021, 10:22:33 AM3/27/21
to jacktrip-users
Thanks Adam. No bones to pick with any of your 5 benefits. Is a general description of how to make the system more (or completely) read only possible? If so what would that be?

Or, would a"better" approach (since I think my wants are fairly limited) be to start with the standard image and only add the simplest possible desktop, and qjackctl? And then continue to run the fs as readonly...

In the meantime, I have been cloning the SD card 'cause I believe the warnings that it's an important backup practice. And have another standard image SD card I could boot from for a pure JVSD experience.

Dave Adams

Mar 27, 2021, 12:52:45 PM3/27/21
to jacktrip-users
If it were me (ah... wait... I HAVE been here) so, WHEN it was me, I got a debian based Raspberry SERVER distribution and started there.
Then I used deb files to put on qjackctrl and the things IT brings in.
THEN I set up to build jacktrip itself, since the deb files are for an older version than I wanted.
THEN I got jack_delay on and running.
jack_delay was my biggest reason for the home-built.

For MY money, if I'm going to use jack-agent, I'm going to have the read only image.  Too many ways for me to break things if I defeat the read-only, and I would not feel right asking technical questions of the VSD team if I defeated one of their BIGGEST tech support tools.
That said, I DID figure out how to persist enabling electret microphone bias current.  It's pretty geeky.
Since you are specifically interested in adding other stuff, I would go with what you ask as being a "better" approach.  Maybe NOT the desktop, just a server.
The Raspberry is plenty gutsy enough to run jack.  If you run a  desktop and, say, a recording tool like Ardour... well, that bogs down my laptop, with is a few times more hefty than the Pi.
The killer is presentation space.  Audio processing is heavy too, but presentation takes a might bite.
Presentation is via X-Windows.  X-Windows works backwards: the X CLIENT goes on the headless Pi SERVER; the X SERVER goes on your separate GUI DESKTOP machine.  Doing it this way works fine via SSH with maybe an ssh option or two (depending on your SSH and X-Windows tools.)  It takes a bit load off the Pi.  More CPU and I/O to handle jacktrip AND the other stuff you mention.
Looking forward to hearing how this goes for you,
Dave

Ridgefield Gleaners

Mar 28, 2021, 9:37:48 AM3/28/21
to jacktrip-users
Thanks fro sharing your experience and RPI insight. Fo now, I will return to running both JVSDs from the CCMA image and make yet another run at getting a working Jack install on my MacBook. A dozen attempts on three different OS levels and no joy led to the JVSD build.

Mike Dickey

Mar 29, 2021, 4:58:33 PM3/29/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
readonly is not important for JackTrip functionality. It's only for the benefits Dave mentioned, so you should be able to modify scripts to remove it, if desired.