Bridge won't go online

Dennis Conklin

Dec 18, 2022, 1:39:25 PM12/18/22
to jacktrip-users
I've been away for a while - I had a 2021 software version on my 3 hardware bridges.
I decided to update my bridges today.
2 of them updated just fine by powering them up and then connected to the website which now lists them as having the most recent version.
The 3rd bridge never updated - ended up with the red light on and the green light off - I understand this to mean that the OS couldn't load.
I DL'ed the latest image and flashed it to the memory card with balenaEtcher.  It flashed successfully and successfully verified.
Now this bridge sits there with both red and white lights on.  I successfully re-registered it using the iPhone app and it appears on the website with it's new name, MAC, etc.   It is Offline continuously and doesn't ever connect to the website (which still thinks it has the 2021 software version as a result) - this is the same power supply and nic cable that works so well with the other 2 bridges.
After this failed I used Putty to SSH into the bridge and ran "sudo systemctl restart jacktrip-patches" to make sure it was updated.   It returned immediately from that command with no comments or error messages.  I then powered it down, waited 30 seconds and powered back up.  The red and green lights are still on.
It still is "offline" and won't connect to the website.

I'm not a Linux or pi guy, so I'm over my head at this point.  Any specific hints of what I can try to debug?

thanks

Dennis Conklin

Dec 18, 2022, 1:56:19 PM12/18/22
to jacktrip-users
okay - finally got it online.   The key seems to be to delete the device on the website and then re-register it.   When I would re-register it without deleting it and re-adding it on the website, it would change the name, etc, on the website, so it seemed like everything was working but then it never got connected.   I'll leave this here as FYI

Synthia

Dec 20, 2022, 6:19:54 PM12/20/22
to jacktrip-users
Hi! I'm not sure why your messages didn't appear in my aggregator, but I check the website occasionally just to check up and was glad to see your messages now. Thanks for reporting back on your progress details about what you did to resolve the issue. That was a good call to delete the device and then re-register it, especially when it seems like all systems are go.

Sometimes this can happen when the device is updating and looks like it should be ready, but is not finished updating. Then if it is disconnected in the middle of updating, the SD card can get confused or even corrupted. Most times, simply deleting or unregistering will do it, and sometimes the SD card will need to be re-flashed with a fresh image of the software.

Thanks again for following up!