Patching JackTrip audio stream into a Zoom Call

BG Lyon

Mar 17, 2021, 3:44:57 PM3/17/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Hello fellow JackTrippers,

I know some of you super sophisticated computer geniuses have probably figured out a way to stream your JackTrip session with someone into a Zoom call where everyone is using the basic Zoom audio - I realize that there is latency between the video and audio and that could be annoying for the audience... but right now I'm not concerned about that.  I'm performing the Haydn duo for violin and cello with my son over a zoom recital - so we pre-record his part and I set that up to play on my Ipad through a speaker while I play along using my USB mic for the sound for both of us to the Zoom audience.

How could we patch our audio into the Zoom call so that he could play live with me over JackTrip instead of my having to play along with the prerecorded version of him?  Someone posted how to do that and I read it over and it really went in one eye and out the other.  I am just a computer dummy with a Macbook Pro and my USB Blue Yeti mic connected as an aggregate device over JackTrip (Headphones plugged into the Blue Yeti for my output).  And also... after we play (and before) we'd just be using the same audio as everyone else in the zoom call (international audience, many on things like cell phones or with variable internet connections).

We rehearsed over JT today - from Philly area to Cambridge, Mass - 256 48K and no latency that we could perceive, sound clear as day.  Pure magic.
Anyway - holler if you can help, thanks!
Beth

Dave Adams

Mar 17, 2021, 4:04:41 PM3/17/21
to jacktrip-users
There IS a software way to do it.  I cannot comment on that.
 But JUST this morning a colleague and I worked this out for our trombone choir.
The big dependency is a suitable "microphone" input to the computer that is hosting your Zoom.
Here is our chain:
1) player one connects through JackTrip.org normally
2) player two connects, but has a headphone amplifier plugged in instead of going straight into a JackTrip Virtual Studio Device.
3) player two connect headphones/earbuds to the headphone amplifier to get the low-latency  sound
4) player two connects another headphone port to the Zoom computer microphone port.
         headphone port is set to absolute lowest volume
5) player two picks the microphone port as the Zoom sound source.
We use Rolls HA43 4-port headphone amps.  These make SURE we can hear the other player over our own sounds (we're trombones, after all :)  )  What we seem to have JUST learned THIS MORNING is that the Rolls HA43 behaves much more like a line output than amp output at a setting of ZERO.  In other words ZERO does NOT cut off the sound completely at a computer microphone input level.

You mileage almost CERTAINLY will vary.  This is VERY likely to be an impedence AND voltage level mismatch.  It is best to set it up ready to test with all levels at minimum, then connect and listen for distressing noises.  If there are none, THEN push up levels until you can hear.  If there are STILL not distressing noises you are likely there.

Worth a shot anyway!
Good luck!

BG Lyon

Mar 17, 2021, 4:43:58 PM3/17/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
So - only two of us are on JT, and neither uses a JT VSD (we just use our computers and command line/qjackctl) - no one else of the 100 or so others on the zoom call has anything except their usual set up (for most, that will be a tablet or cell phone, using the speakers and microphone on said devices).
And I don't know what a headphone amplifier is... like I said, I'm a dummy with computers and audio equipment (maybe I didn't say that, but I am).?
Now - I DO have two USB ports on my laptop - and I could plug a second USB Mic into the second USB port but I don't understand how to get the sound from JT to the zoom call (b/c indeed software would be the way to go - or patching it in via some sort of thing on the computer).  I can't imagine otherwise how to do this (b/c of feedback from the mic etc...).

Dave Adams

Mar 17, 2021, 4:57:38 PM3/17/21
to jacktrip-users
LOL.  Reminds me of:
Johnny: "Mommy! Mommy! I wanna be a trombone player when I grow up!"
Mommy: "Oh, I SO sorry dear! You can't do BOTH!"

You can't start jacktrip with qjackctrl and command line AND claim to be a  computer dummy.
IF you have gone that far SOMEone here can probably help you get the right "virtual device" loaded on your PC.  That will make it so you have ANOTHER device in the jack connections window (besides those for your son and yourself) and be able to stick your COMBINED output to the input of the new device, THEN tell Zoom on your machine to use the virtual device as a microphone.

That person is not me, unfortunately.. But if you  note the types of computers you have, especially operating systems and versions, and versions of qjackctl and jacktrip you are using, the people who DO know will be more able to give you something that will probably not completely destroy your computer dummy claim :)
If I your configuration tomorrow morning and you've gotten not bites, I'll see what I can dig up. I won't have tested it, but will point you to folks who have.

Your use of qjackctl will be a big PLUS on this.

John Lyon

Mar 17, 2021, 5:06:43 PM3/17/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Jan Stoltenberg has a YouTube tutorial where he walks you through streaming JackTripi into Zoom.    Google ‘Jan Stoltenberg Youtube JackTrip Zoom’ and you’ll find it.   He is a brillient tutor. His whole JackTrip series of YouTune videos helped me enourmously.

Tomorrow I will doing a Live Zoom performance where I will be streaming two of us using JackTrip.

I have created a document describing how to do this, but it’s more like a Coles Notes, shorthand version of reminders to me of things not to forget, than a hands-on guide.

Best of luck,

John Lyon
Deep Cove
North Vancouver, B.C.
Canada

--
Cheers,

John

John Lyon, 1009 Kinloch Lane, North Vancouver, V7G 1V8, 604-929-8757

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Mar 17, 2021, 5:23:36 PM3/17/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Jan's video is extremely helpful. Go through slowly, ste-by-step,
and when you're ready to test let me know. Probably best for me in the
last week of March.

synth

--
"Go at it boldly, and you'll find unexpected forces closing round you
and coming to your aid." -Basil King

BG Lyon

Mar 17, 2021, 6:38:21 PM3/17/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
HAHA well anything I know I learned from Synth.

So here goes:  I am using a MacBook Pro running OSX Big Sur 11.2.3
I connect using qjackctl 0.3.6   and JACK version 0.92  with JackTrip version 1.3.0
I'm facile with the command window and the connections window as I've routed a quartet on my server (I have port forwarding enabled so... server chez moi).

AND I am a computer dummy.  I promise.  I just got really desperate to play with friends and learned enough to do this (and enough to not fix it if it ain't broke - efforts to upgrade JACK were disastrous - what we have works fine).

And so yes, if i can load a "virtual device" on my MAC (not PC - very important distinction - so glad I am not using my windows machine for JT - that's a true nightmare) then I think I get it - I could just stick our combined output to the input of that new device by routing both of our outputs to it as if it's a third person with us (who is silent) - ? OR would we route it fully, so we'd get the sound from the zoom call through this third "person" as well??

Then Zoom could use the virtual device for both input and output while we are playing - then when we are finished, if we left that connection there but muted ourselves, would we hear everyone else (just would look funny on the screen bc of the delay?)?

It does not matter what my son uses since I am the only one making the connections, right?  He has the same versions of everything that I do...
The only possible downside is.... there's no latency when we play but adding in a 3rd would mean his signal in NYC to me near Philly, and our signals back to NYC from my server here.  But could be ok?  Hmmm.  Maybe then the latency (audio/video) for the audience would not be as great (we'd still be playing together no latency as usual, if I understand correctly).

Please advise - thanks so much!

Beth

Dave Adams

Mar 17, 2021, 9:05:21 PM3/17/21
to jacktrip-users
As I expected, the EXACT right people have now responded to you.  I second (third? fourth?) the applause for Jan's videos..  ALMOST made me wish I was back on OS X instead of Linux.  Almost :)

Jan's videos, BTW, are mostly MacOS, so things will apply DIRECTLY to your situation!

Dave

BG Lyon

Mar 17, 2021, 9:38:01 PM3/17/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com