Mac User (Big Sur, M1 Mac mini) — it's been a while...

Daniele Buatti

Jun 2, 2021, 8:27:06 PM6/2/21
to jacktrip-users
Hi there!

It's been several months since I jumped off the JackTrip train.

I'm in Australia and I'd like to setup my own server. Am I now doing this through Virtual Studios?

Appreciate even just a general direction I should be looking toward.

I'll definitely be looking through all these posts to get me back up to date!

Thanks
Daniele

b...@benloveridge.com

Jun 3, 2021, 5:57:42 PM6/3/21
to jacktrip-users
Hi Daniele,

There's now a Melbourne server in the options for Virtual Studio so I would suggest testing that one out and seeing how that works for you. I use a RPi and Scarlett 2i2 to connect but the standard Jacktrip on a computer can connect as well. The pre-built Virtual Studio devices as sold on Amazon are not available for delivery to Australia.

Cheers,
Ben

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Jun 4, 2021, 3:47:37 AM6/4/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
welcome back, Daniele! Hi Ben, that's great info, thanks!

You might already know some of this but it's fairly simple to host your
own Jacktrip server. Like Ben mentioned, you can run the command line
version on a computer, or you can spin up a remote server running the
Jacktrip software, which takes a bit of doing.

Running a Jacktrip server with the command line version on a computer
uses the same app as what the client uses except the flag is changed
from -c or -C for clients, to -s or -S for server mode!

I know, right? So in the command line, you just do -s or -S for hub
mode. ah, but maybe not all that simple because if you run server mode
on a computer, you will need one network (internet) port for each
connection, starting with 4464. You set that in your router. Search
online for your router brand and keywords "port forwarding"
instructions. Also check "port forwarding instructions" +<your ISP>.

One more gotcha: 3rd party security will need "allow app through the
firewall". ok, these may be security issues and can be avoided with a
remote server instead.

ok, that's enough for now. If you want to know more about remote server,
let us know.

synth
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/aa921cee-cc02-46fb-8e07-6505806c1c64n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/aa921cee-cc02-46fb-8e07-6505806c1c64n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Daniele Buatti

Jun 4, 2021, 7:42:14 PM6/4/21
to jacktrip-users
Thanks Ben, Thanks Synthia!

Yes, need to reacquaint myself with opening ports etc.

Do people still use qjacktrip?

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Jun 4, 2021, 8:29:44 PM6/4/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Yes and QJacktrip is being merged into release 1.4! So exciting!
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/b4c2e160-c6c8-4f8d-b19c-6b94ea57402en%40googlegroups.com.