Building JackTrip from source

Mek Logan

Nov 15, 2022, 1:51:11 AM11/15/22
to jacktrip-users
I've run into some snags trying to build the latest JT from source on Ubuntu; the details:

I'm running Ubuntu Studio 21.10, and followed this GitHub Pages guide to tackle these steps:

Install the stated dependencies (leaving out the RT Audio line):
    sudo apt install --no-install-recommends build-essential qt5-default autoconf automake libtool make libjack-jackd2-dev git help2man

    sudo apt install qjackctl qt5-qmake qttools5-dev libqt5svg5-dev libqt5networkauth5-dev qtdeclarative5-dev qml-module-qtquick-controls

Clone the JT repo (at version 1.6.6) to ~/com/github/jacktrip:
    git clone --recurse-submodules https://github.com/jacktrip/jacktrip.git

Change to that folder; run the build:
    ./build install

Which resulted in what seems to be a missing dependency:
    Project ERROR: "Unknown module(s) in QT": websockets

A few searches later, I added what seemed to be the missing bits:
   sudo apt install libqt5websockets5-dev

Is it possible that was overlooked in the list of dependencies -- and if so, does that look like the correct dependency?

Re-built it, without the install, which got a lot further:
    ./build

Then a different error, which I didn't save -- something along the lines of this:
    module QtQuick.Controls version 2?? not installed

Looking into that suggested I run this:
    sudo apt install qml-module-qtquick-controls2

After that, I tried build & install again, which seemed to go as expected, including asking for my password to install in the system location:
    ./build install

FWIW, there was a warning that was emitted fairly regularly throughout the build, which seemed OK to ignore (was it?):
  release/../../src/freeverbmonodsp.h:121:5: warning: "/*" within comment [-Wcomment]

JackTrip turned out to be installed in the Other section of the main menu; clicking that icon resulted only in opening a blank window, with  a grey header reading JackTrip.

I'm stumped -- any ideas?

Oh, and some background:  My goal is to run this on my LAN, with a horn band spread across several isolated rooms; we've tried the Columbus Ohio server, our nearest, but it's ~40ms latency, which is too high to be usable.  Running an older version (1.1?) on the LAN had latency in the 5ms range -- very usable.

Thanks for any light shed on this!

=mek

IOhannes m zmoelnig

Nov 15, 2022, 2:59:07 AM11/15/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
On 11/15/22 07:51, Mek Logan wrote:
> Install the stated dependencies (leaving out the RT Audio line):

you could also just install the packages that are used to build jacktrip
as shipped by Debian (and in consequence: Ubuntu):

```
apt-get build-dep jacktrip
```

this has the drawback of not being able to leave out select packages
(like rtaudio).

or directly check out the Debian packaging for jacktrip at [1], and
mangle the list of packages to your own needs (keeping in mind that
packages are there for a reason :-))

i'm not saying that this is better than following the official jacktrip
documentation. but it might be a useful alternative (and is known to
work at least for the given release of jacktrip - the listed packages
are actually used to build jacktrip packages, as opposed to
documenbtaion that gets written and sometimes forgotten).

I'm usually not trying to upstream the list of packages back into the
official jacktrip documentation, because of time (mostly), $reasons and
because the needs for a generic Debian package (as included in a
distribution) might be slightly different from the needs of upstream
development.

gdsmaf
IOhannes

[1]
<https://salsa.debian.org/multimedia-team/jacktrip/-/blob/master/debian/control>
OpenPGP_signature

Mek Logan

Nov 16, 2022, 10:05:21 PM11/16/22
to jacktrip-users
Hey, those are great suggestions -- I'll try them in the order give when I'm by that machine again.  Thanks!

Ken Fields

Dec 9, 2022, 1:17:38 AM12/9/22
to jacktrip-users
Hi,

On Debian 11 linode server:

ran: ```
apt-get build-dep jacktrip
```
worked.

Cd builddir

root@localhost:~/jacktrip/builddir# ls

org.jacktrip.JackTrip.desktop  org.jacktrip.JackTrip.metainfo.xml

what's this?  executable?

Ken

Marcin Pączkowski

Dec 9, 2022, 1:00:44 PM12/9/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com

org.jacktrip.JackTrip.desktop  org.jacktrip.JackTrip.metainfo.xml

what's this?  executable?
These are desktop integration files that will make jacktrip appear in the application menu of the desktop environment. They are installed in the install step (i.e. ./build install).

Marcin

Kenneth Fields

Dec 10, 2022, 12:01:59 AM12/10/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
ah, ok.
installing the GLish for the server.
Ken

Kenneth Fields

Dec 10, 2022, 1:00:15 AM12/10/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com

Hm, I’m here:

steps e, f and g:

e. Build jacktrip [this might take a few minutes]:

./build

f. Once the build is complete, go to the builddir directory(7):

cd builddir

g. Check what version of jacktrip you just installed on your remote Linode Cloud Server:

./jacktrip -v

I go to builddir, there is only the two files I mention below?
there is not a ./jacktrip to get the -v

And I don’t see jacktrip in the application menu? qjackctl and audacity are in the ‘multimedia’ submenu.

Is the ./build step above meant to also ‘install’ the app?

I downloaded the binary ./jacktrip and put it into the /bin folder myself. it runs fine.
But I’d like to try the jacktrip GUI to run the server (using Glish) - just for fun.

Mike O'Connor

Dec 10, 2022, 7:14:02 AM12/10/22
to Jacktrip-users
hi Ken,

i download the Linux Jacktrip binary directly into /usr/local/bin/ (which puts it in the path) and make it executable ( chmod +x /usr/local/bin/jacktrip ) on the Debian 11 (bullseye) Linodes i run.  for the longest time, the GUI would run if i just typed 'jacktrip' without arguments on the command line.

i just tried it with v1.6.8 and something's broke -- here's the error message i get.  is this what you're seeing?

qt.qpa.xcb: XKeyboard extension not present on the X server
qt.glx: qglx_findConfig: Failed to finding matching FBConfig for QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize -1, redBufferSize 1, greenBufferSize 1, blueBufferSize 1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize -1, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::SingleBuffer, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile  QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile)
qt.glx: qglx_findConfig: Failed to finding matching FBConfig for QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize -1, redBufferSize 1, greenBufferSize 1, blueBufferSize 1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize -1, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::SingleBuffer, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile  QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile)
qt.glx: qglx_findConfig: Failed to finding matching FBConfig for QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize -1, redBufferSize 1, greenBufferSize 1, blueBufferSize 1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize -1, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::SingleBuffer, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile  QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile)
Could not initialize GLX

mike o'c

Mike O'Connor

Dec 10, 2022, 10:41:15 AM12/10/22
to Jacktrip-users
i went back and downloaded all the releases until i hit one that worked.

Jacktrip 1.6.1 is the last release where the GUI runs if Jacktrip is launched from the command line.  1.6.2 and onward fail with those same error messages.

mike o'c

Kenneth Fields

Dec 12, 2022, 3:14:10 AM12/12/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,
I’m running jacktrip server 1.6.8 binary on linode (fremont, ca) server debian 11 from /bin
no error messages. no gui.
I’m using ipv6 address to connect to server from home (in china). 116bpm.
ping6 is about 240ms.

one of the linux versions says “nogui” one says “binary”.
are you saying the one marked binary is the gui version? and you run it from the command line?

seems your qt error messages are related to the gui (can’t initialize GLX).

Ken

Mike O'Connor

Dec 12, 2022, 9:55:37 AM12/12/22
to Jacktrip-users
hi Ken,

exactly right.  i run the "binary" version.

the binaries up through 1.6.1 run the GUI by typing "jacktrip" on the command-line (that's what launches the GUI - no parameters, just 'jacktrip').  the first error message ('qt.qpa.xcb: XKeyboard extension not present on the X server') is due to my configuration but the GUI still ran.  from 1.6.2 on, the rest of the error messages appear and the GUI no longer runs.

as Chris mentioned, core Jacktrip hasn't changed much.  so i'm usually running 1.5.3 and the GUI runs fine.

mike