Where should module-specific documentation be located?

wrongwrong

Feb 16, 2024, 11:23:55 PMFeb 16
to jackson-dev
I am wondering where and how the documentation should be placed regarding value class support in kotlin-module.
https://github.com/FasterXML/jackson-module-kotlin/pull/768

The value class is a Kotlin-specific feature, and kotlin-module has complex handling to support it.
Also, there are some value class-specific behaviors and flaws.
To avoid inconvenience to users and maintainers, I have created documentation for both the technical and usage aspects.

However, I am not sure where to place this documentation.
It is too much text to put in the README.
I thought the docs directory would be appropriate, but I found the following instructions
https://github.com/FasterXML/jackson-core/blob/2.17/docs/README.md

Does the Jackson project have any policies?

Tatu Saloranta

Feb 16, 2024, 11:29:41 PMFeb 16
to jacks...@googlegroups.com
Nothing very formal, but I think some components use repo Wiki for
this; combination of README + wiki entries seems like a reasonable way
to go.

There is also:

https://github.com/FasterXML/jackson-docs

which was intended for documentation (main README.md pointing to
external resources and Wiki entries).
The idea being that a more centralized set of documents would be
easier to use than ones split across many repos.

- + Tatu +-

wrongwrong

Feb 16, 2024, 11:57:45 PMFeb 16
to jackson-dev
Huuumm...

I did a little checking and it seems that you cannot issue a pull request to the GitHub wiki.
Also, there are no plans to add more documentation like this, so it seems a bit over-featured.
Sorry to discuss this with you, but I would like to include it in the source code.

I will place the Markdown in the docs repository.

2024年2月17日土曜日 13:29:41 UTC+9 Tatu Saloranta:

Tatu Saloranta

Feb 17, 2024, 2:54:57 PMFeb 17
to jacks...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 8:57 PM wrongwrong <boran...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Huuumm...
>
> I did a little checking and it seems that you cannot issue a pull request to the GitHub wiki.
> Also, there are no plans to add more documentation like this, so it seems a bit over-featured.
> Sorry to discuss this with you, but I would like to include it in the source code.
>
> I will place the Markdown in the docs repository.

Ok. That works. I wish Wiki did allow PRs since to me it is preferable
otherwise to markdown pages,
more convenient to edit etc.

-+ Tatu +-