Dropping Kotlin-core 1.4 support from Jackson 2.15?

Tatu Saloranta

Feb 19, 2023, 7:53:20 PM2/19/23
to jacks...@googlegroups.com
As per

https://github.com/FasterXML/jackson-module-kotlin/issues/632

I wanted to see if anyone objects to just dropping Kotlin-core 1.4.x
support from Jackson 2.15.
Over time there is less and less value in support, and there is some
cost in keeping it.
Please let us know if you strongly feel continuing support would be
necessary; assumption as of now is that "it is time"...

-+ Tatu +-

wrongwrong

Feb 19, 2023, 8:52:29 PM2/19/23
to jackson-dev
As long as it is not practical to work on fixes related to `Kotlin 1.4`, I personally would like to work on this documentation update as soon as possible.
When updating the documentation, I would like to make it so that "`Kotlin 1.4` is supported up to 2.14.2, and 1.5 or later is supported after that".

Also, this may be a bit off topic, but should we also do the following in conjunction with this work?

1. Add a reference to supported `Java` versions
    - Currently, 8, 11, and 17 can be listed based on the grid test status.
2. Add reference to `Kotlin 1.8`

For future support, I would also like to add `Java 19` and `Kotlin 1.8.20-Beta` to the grid test versions.

2023年2月20日月曜日 9:53:20 UTC+9 Tatu Saloranta:

Tatu Saloranta

Feb 20, 2023, 7:26:35 PM2/20/23
to jacks...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 5:52 PM wrongwrong <boran...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As long as it is not practical to work on fixes related to `Kotlin 1.4`, I personally would like to work on this documentation update as soon as possible.
> When updating the documentation, I would like to make it so that "`Kotlin 1.4` is supported up to 2.14.2, and 1.5 or later is supported after that".

This makes sense to me.

> Also, this may be a bit off topic, but should we also do the following in conjunction with this work?
>
> 1. Add a reference to supported `Java` versions
> - Currently, 8, 11, and 17 can be listed based on the grid test status.

Yes, good idea.

> 2. Add reference to `Kotlin 1.8`

Yes, as long as we establish what compatibility is, that is, if there
are known issues.

> For future support, I would also like to add `Java 19` and `Kotlin 1.8.20-Beta` to the grid test versions.

That is doable. I think LTS Java versions plus the latest non-LTS if
newer make sense.
And Kotlin-core latest patch for supported minor version.

-+ Tatu +-