Towards Jackson 2.16.0-rc1: maybe in 2-3 weeks

Tatu Saloranta

Sep 29, 2023, 1:14:38β€―PM9/29/23
to jacks...@googlegroups.com
So: it has been a while since 2.15.0 was released, in late April 2023,
5 months ago.
The intent was to follow up fairly quickly with 2.16 -- and for that
to happen, it's time to release the first (and ideally, only -- we
don't seem to get tons of feedback from RCs) release candidate soon.

As per

https://github.com/FasterXML/jackson/wiki/Jackson-Release-2.16

we already have over 70 changes (fixes, additions). And this is
probably missing Kotlin/Scala module changes.
So 2.16 will be a non-trivial release.

But. Before cutting the RC1 I wanted to see how we are doing with
original goals to handle:

1. Completing addition of essential Processing Limits (add max read
doc size; max read property-name length; writer-side max nesting)
2. Add support for Canonical JSON (in some form, no formal spec seems to existt)
3. Property Introspection rewrite (my long-term Number #1 absolute must-have)

and so far:

1. Processing limits: Fully implemented!
2. Canonical JSON: some aspects implemented
(JsonNodeFeature.WRITE_PROPERTIES_SORTED) but not everything; not sure
what'd be the best approach -- in particular, number formatting open
issue
3. Property Introspection rewrite: not done, not even started (sigh)

Given timing, I think 1 out of 3 will have to do; I don't see a
realistic change of getting (2) and (3) completed.

But aside from this, there is one Feature (or set of smaller pieces)
that I do want to get in 2.16: `JsonNode.withArray()/withObject()`
regression/change handling (databind issues #3780, #4095, #4096).
Once this is tackled, I'd be fine closing set of features to get in 2.16.

If anyone feels there are other "Must Have" features -- and ones that
in-flight, i.e. may be completed within next, say, 2 weeks -- please
LMK ASAP and those can be considered as well.

How does this sound? Opinions, suggestions, other feedback?

-+ Tatu +-

Joo Hyuk Kim

Sep 29, 2023, 11:49:34β€―PM9/29/23
to jacks...@googlegroups.com
I have no objection on releasing 2.16 πŸ‘πŸΌ, but would you consider merging theΒ
JsonIgnoreProperties fix[1] if the PR changes still seems reasonable? πŸ˜†Β

2023λ…„ 9μ›” 30일 (ν† ) μ˜€μ „ 2:14, Tatu Saloranta <ta...@fasterxml.com>λ‹˜μ΄ μž‘μ„±:

Tatu Saloranta

Sep 30, 2023, 12:13:30β€―AM9/30/23
to jacks...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 8:49β€―PM Joo Hyuk Kim <bean...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have no objection on releasing 2.16 πŸ‘πŸΌ, but would you consider merging the
> JsonIgnoreProperties fix[1] if the PR changes still seems reasonable? πŸ˜†
>
> [1] https://github.com/FasterXML/jackson-databind/pull/4070

Duly noted, thanks! Somehow wasn't on my radar, now is.

-+ Tatu +-
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jackson-dev/CALS-ipyKkw%3DQ%3Dz5FSn89NhtAj1rs8QmAZ7X%2B%3D%2BHwo31BXO7zng%40mail.gmail.com.

Tatu Saloranta

Oct 20, 2023, 8:44:48β€―PM10/20/23
to jacks...@googlegroups.com
Jackson 2.16.0-rc1 is now released, about 3 weeks after initial announcement.

Help in verifying functionality would be much appreciated: my intent
is to only release this one release candidate and:

1. Try not to do any more API changes until 2.16.0 final
2. Bug fixes can still go in
3. Plan for 2.16.0-final within 3 weeks or so (mid-November) if all goes well

As usual the release notes can be found here:

https://github.com/FasterXML/jackson/wiki/Jackson-Release-2.16

and I hope to write a blog post summarizing more important changes.

Thank you in advance for all the help,

-+ Tatu +-