default limit for object name lengths

fann...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2023, 8:37:08 AM8/23/23
to jackson-dev
Hi everyone,

We are continuing to add more limits when parsing inputs. The next one is for the object name lengths.

I'm going to suggest 50,000 as the default limit. This limit can be updated by configuring the StreamReadConstraints.

Has anyone got a use case that requires this limit to be higher?

Regards,
PJ

Tatu Saloranta

Aug 29, 2023, 8:29:59 PM8/29/23
to jacks...@googlegroups.com
Funny how anyone and their dog complains about limits we have
imposed... but no one has an opinion when being asked. :)
(yeah yeah, people who report breakages are not on this mailing list, I know)

I decided to test out performance aspects with a trivial test and it
appears like size up 1 or even 10 million bytes does not significantly
add to immediate decoding cost (but there will be other possible
issues from memory retention as resulting 20 MB String -- in 10M bytes
case).
So we have quite a bit of leeway I think.

But I was hoping that maybe someone, somewhere knew of limits other
JSON parsers impose; or if not, XML or YAML parsers.
Anything comparable for textual (or binary?) data formats with
names/symbols: what limits are others imposing?

Or conversely: if anyone is processing JSON documents with Unusually
Long Names (something well beyond things like UUIDs)?
And if so, what would be the longest such name you have observed?

-+ Tatu +-