3D models

john.b...@arup.com

Jan 3, 2023, 8:08:35 AM1/3/23
to JaamSim Users Discussion Group
Happy New Year to all in the JaamSim world.

Most of my models have been 2D, but I have started to try out more ambitious models using the inherent 3D capabilities within JaamSim.

First observation/question: a SimEntity can follow the orientation of a path on an EntityConveyor by setting the latter's RotateEntities keyword to TRUE. However, this only seems to affect the SimEntity's orientation in the X and Y dimensions and not the Z dimension (see attached example). In real life an object on such a conveyor would also be tilted to match the angle of the declining conveyor. Is this a simple "fix" to rotate in all three dimensions or are there other complexities/consequences that make this undesirable or even impossible?

A second observation/question: I tried simply to make the EntityConveyor look a little bit like a conveyor belt by using the LineWidth and LineColour keywords (see model). However, as you pan around and alter the point of view the orientation of the line width changes, which makes this look odd and not a good approach - it's a bit of a bodge anyway, so not surprising. If I did this properly, would I create a 3D asset and import it and then, somehow choose a different DisplayModel for an EntityConveyor? TBH I'm not sure how I'd create a .dae object from scratch. I'll Google that, but would be grateful someone can confirm that this is how to do it in principle?

As ever, many thanks and best wishes to all.

John
Entity Orientation Example.cfg