Drag and Drop in Mac OSX

james....@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2015, 10:54:50 AM6/5/15
to jaamsi...@googlegroups.com

I am very new to simulation software and was trying to replicate the actions in the Getting started Video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBibGXcnBMg

I got stuck clicking on moving and objects around the screen. The instructions suggest that I can use Control - Left Click, but with a Mac this simulates a right mouse click. Is there an alternative keypress that can be used in Mac environments.

Thanks

James

Harry King

Jun 5, 2015, 6:26:44 PM6/5/15
to jaamsi...@googlegroups.com, james....@gmail.com
James,

Are you using a single button mouse? If so, you need to buy a two button wheel mouse to use with JaamSim. Mice from Apple or any other supplier are okay.

Harry

james....@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2015, 4:55:19 AM6/9/15
to jaamsi...@googlegroups.com, james....@gmail.com
Harry,

Thanks for your reply. I was using a single button mouse, but now have my hands on a two button wheel mouse. However, I am still unable to move objects around because I don't think the ctrl + left click works correctly on Mac.

Harry King

Jun 9, 2015, 1:24:55 PM6/9/15
to jaamsi...@googlegroups.com, james....@gmail.com
James,

We tested JaamSim on Macs under Mavericks about 6 months ago. I'll re-test the current release this evening to make sure nothing has changed. In the meantime, please check the settings for your mouse. Your Mac may be retaining the old settings for your one-button mouse.

Harry

Harry King

Jun 10, 2015, 12:19:37 AM6/10/15
to jaamsi...@googlegroups.com, james....@gmail.com
James,

I've tested JaamSim on a MacBook Air this evening and it worked fine. There are a few oddities -- the most annoying is that dragged and dropped objects are placed on the edge of the view window rather than under the mouse. Another is that the window sizes and positions are not quite right and have to be repositioned.

One thing you need to be aware of is that the object to be moved must be selected with a single left click BEFORE you press the Control key. It is only after the object is selected -- it will be outlined with a green rectangle -- that you press the Control key and left drag the object. You can't just keep the Control key down and drag one object after another. The same procedure is used on all computer systems.

Let me know if this solves your problem.

Harry

Steve

Jun 13, 2015, 5:57:27 PM6/13/15
to jaamsi...@googlegroups.com, james....@gmail.com
I'm having the same issue. Left Click to select also appears broken. I can only select objects from the 'Object Selector' window. Once selected ctrl click to move doesn't work.

Harry King

Jun 13, 2015, 7:31:10 PM6/13/15
to jaamsi...@googlegroups.com, sbat...@gmail.com, james....@gmail.com
Steve,

Did you see my previous post on this topic? If you are still having problems, I need more information about OSX version, mouse type, mouse settings, etc. It works fine on my Mac test computer -- a MacBook Air with OSX Mavericks and a Logitech mouse.

Harry

sbat...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2015, 10:21:38 PM6/13/15
to Harry King, jaamsi...@googlegroups.com, james....@gmail.com
I saw your post, thanks for the quick reply. I'm running Yosemite on a mac book pro. Also with a Logitech mouse.

Thanks,

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

Harry King

Jun 14, 2015, 1:55:22 AM6/14/15
to jaamsi...@googlegroups.com, sbat...@gmail.com, james....@gmail.com
Steve,

Yosemite may be the problem. I'll update my Mac and give it a try.

Harry

james....@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2015, 10:35:15 AM6/14/15
to jaamsi...@googlegroups.com, sbat...@gmail.com, james....@gmail.com
On Sunday, 14 June 2015 06:55:22 UTC+1, Harry King wrote:

I am also running Yosemite on mac book pro, but with a mouse from Dell. I have double checked all the mouse settings and there are very few, but they all look ok.

James

Harry King

Jun 16, 2015, 1:38:12 AM6/16/15
to jaamsi...@googlegroups.com, sbat...@gmail.com, james....@gmail.com
Steve and James,

I've just installed Yosemite 10.10.3 and tested JaamSim 2015-22. Drag and drop works fine -- no change from Mavericks. However, note the annoying quirks that I mentioned in my earlier post:
- drag and dropped object move back to the edge of the view window when released by the mouse
- windows do not size properly. You need to move the view window down to see the bottom half of the Control Panel.

Are you remembering to release the control key when left clicking on an object to select it? If the control key is pressed, nothing will happen when you left click. Once an object is selected, you can press the control key and left drag the object to a new position.

I used a wired mouse for my test of Yosemite. If you use a bluetooth mouse, this might be the cause of the problem. I've see a number of posts on the internet where people are struggling to get bluetooth to work properly after upgrading to Yosemite.

Let me know if the above solves your problem.

Harry

Stephen Bathurst

Jun 20, 2015, 3:00:05 PM6/20/15
to Harry King, jaamsi...@googlegroups.com, James Creedy
I've got the same quirks you mention but I'm still unable to select any objects with a left click.

I've tried several different mice, included two wireless logitech ones and a dell wired mouse and I'm not pressing control.

I'm not sure what else to try.

Thanks for all the help.

Steve

Harry King

Jun 20, 2015, 6:46:47 PM6/20/15
to jaamsi...@googlegroups.com, sbat...@gmail.com, james....@gmail.com
Steve,

Okay, we are now in uncharted territory. Describe your actions after launching JaamSim -- describe it step by step. I need to know exactly what works and what doesn't work in JaamSim on your Macbook Pro.

What version of Yosemite are you using? This would be a good time to update to the latest version -- 10.10.3 was the version I downloaded last week.

What version of the Java Runtime Environment are you using? Un-install your old version and install the latest one -- version 8 update 45.

After unsuccessfully clicking on an object, open the Log Viewer (under Tools > Log Viewer) and copy the contents to a text file and attach it to your next post. It might contain a clue to what is going wrong.

Harry

Harry King

Jun 23, 2015, 1:08:27 PM6/23/15
to jaamsi...@googlegroups.com, james....@gmail.com, sbat...@gmail.com

Hi Steve,

The procedure you describe in your email me is correct. You’re doing everything right and everything seems to work correctly except left click on an object. We’re running the same version of OSX and Java. The only thing left that I can think of is the Retina display. I understand that Apple did some strange things to make Retina work, but we have had several people use JaamSim successfully on MacBook Pros with Retina under Mavericks. It’s possible that the combination of Yosemite and Retina is a problem.

Can you try your MacBook with an external monitor? That might bypass any problems related to the built-in Retina display.

Harry

Harry King

Jun 23, 2015, 1:12:50 PM6/23/15
to jaamsi...@googlegroups.com, james....@gmail.com, sbat...@gmail.com

Steve,

One other possibility is some sort of problem with your MacBook switching between its integrated graphics and its Nvidia chip.  I see some discussion on the internet regarding problems with MacBook Pros and Yosemite: http://www.macnn.com/articles/14/11/04/several.support.threads.discussing.issue.related.to.gpu.switching/

You can set it to work exclusively with the Nvidia chip by switching off “Automatic graphics switching” in the Energy Saving dialog box. See attached.

Hopefully one of these two ideas will bear fruit.

Harry
Automatic graphics switching.png

sbat...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2015, 2:57:54 PM7/5/15
to jaamsi...@googlegroups.com, james....@gmail.com

It looks like JaamSim is working correctly. I turned off automatic graphics switching, plugged in an external monitor and closed my laptop so the only monitor running was the external monitor. Seems to work as normal so long as it's on an external monitor. Strange that I tried this before and it didn't work. Perhaps it is the combination of no graphics switching and the external monitor. In any case, thanks for the help.

miguel....@dematic.com

Feb 26, 2016, 7:44:02 PM2/26/16
to Jaamsim Users Discussion Group, james....@gmail.com, sbat...@gmail.com
Late comer to the thread, just discovered and downloaded JaamSim, very much appreciated the effort put into it and making it available to everybody.

I am observing the same behavior, except that it works in both graphics modes, and with a regular apple trackpad. But **only** when the display window is in an external monitor (??). This makes it impossible to use it when you are on the go away from the desk :-(

Thanks again for producing a great tool

Miguel

Harry King

Feb 26, 2016, 7:55:38 PM2/26/16
to Jaamsim Users Discussion Group, james....@gmail.com, sbat...@gmail.com, miguel....@dematic.com
Miguel,

If you are using a MacBook Pro with the Retina screen, then the solution is to install "Display Menu" from the Apple App Store. See the last few posts on the thread entitled "Anything special needed to run on a MacBook Pro?" for more information.

Does this fix the problem for you?

Harry

Pinilla Burgos Jose M (Miguel)

Feb 28, 2016, 5:27:08 PM2/28/16
to Harry King, Jaamsim Users Discussion Group, james....@gmail.com, sbat...@gmail.com
Thank you very much, it worked.

I installed and then selected a resolution in “Display Menu” and it started working. Not even need for reboot or anything like that.

Thanks for the tip.

Is there a newsgroup or similar where to learn and discuss of new releases, features, tips, etc…?

Regards

Miguel

____________________________

Miguel Pinilla, PhD
VP, Global Logistics Solutions

Dematic Corp. Global R&D

+1.650.489.0329

DEMATIC l Creating Logistics Results www.dematic.us

MATERIAL HANDLING & LOGISTICS CONFERENCE www.mhlc.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any attachments to it, is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential material. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, please do not disclose, copy, forward, or retain. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Harry King

Feb 28, 2016, 5:37:06 PM2/28/16
to Jaamsim Users Discussion Group, d.harr...@gmail.com, james....@gmail.com, sbat...@gmail.com, Miguel....@dematic.com
Miguel,

I'm glad to hear that your OSX problem has been solved.

This forum is the best place in which to discuss new features and to exchange tips. Up to now, it has been mostly me responding to questions and feature requests, but we would welcome a much broader discussion by JaamSim users. Feel free to start a discussion!

Harry

Pinilla Burgos Jose M (Miguel)

Feb 28, 2016, 5:38:19 PM2/28/16
to Harry King, Jaamsim Users Discussion Group, james....@gmail.com, sbat...@gmail.com
O.K. Thanks. We’ll keep that in mind as we learn the system.

Miguel

____________________________

From: Harry King <d.harr...@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 2:37 PM
To: Jaamsim Users Discussion Group <jaamsi...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: "d.harr...@gmail.com" <d.harr...@gmail.com>, "james....@gmail.com" <james....@gmail.com>, "sbat...@gmail.com" <sbat...@gmail.com>, "Pinilla Burgos Jose M (Miguel)" <Miguel....@dematic.com>
Subject: Re: Drag and Drop in Mac OSX

Harry King

Feb 29, 2016, 2:34:11 PM2/29/16
to Jaamsim Users Discussion Group, d.harr...@gmail.com, james....@gmail.com, sbat...@gmail.com
Miguel,

Release 2016-04 fixes the window size/position problem under Mac OS X that you may have noticed.

Harry

adau...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2022, 9:22:40 AM10/13/22
to Jaamsim Users Discussion Group
Hello. I also noticed the issue with being unable to click/select objects after dropping them on the view. However, I solved the issue by Installing the "Display Menu" app from the app-store, and selecting some resolution from there. :) Don't forget to reset it back to normal when you are done with Jaamsim :)

I have the following specifications:

Hardware Overview:

  MacOS: Monterey 12.6

  Model Name:    MacBook Pro

  Model Identifier:    MacBookPro15,2

  Processor Name:    Quad-Core Intel Core i5

  Processor Speed:    2,3 GHz

  Number of Processors:    1

  Total Number of Cores:    4

  L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB

  L3 Cache:    6 MB

  Hyper-Threading Technology:    Enabled

  Memory:    16 GB

  System Firmware Version:    1731.140.2.0.0 (iBridge: 19.16.16067.0.0,0)

  OS Loader Version:    540.120.3~22

-----

java version "15.0.2" 2021-01-19

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 15.0.2+7-27)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 15.0.2+7-27, mixed mode, sharing)

Rafal Goslawski

May 14, 2024, 11:44:11 AMMay 14
to JaamSim Users Discussion Group
Hello,

I've ran into this issue and found an alternative and easier solution. Sharing for other users (and future me ;) ).

Running JaamSim with `-Dsun.java2s.uiScale=1` passed to the JVM like this:

java -Dsun.java2d.uiScale=1 -jar JaamSim2024-04.jar

on MacOS 14 Sonoma with Temurin Java build solves the incorrect mouse position issue. It might be possible to set it in code with:

System.setProperty("sun.java2d.uiScale", "1");

but it would apparently need to be the first line inside `main()`, otherwise it doesn't work (according to some reports online).

Rafal