Make to order and setup times

Natanael Lacerda

Apr 21, 2024, 4:32:49 PMApr 21
to JaamSim Users Discussion Group
Hello everyone,

I've just started using JaamSim, so I don't really know how to use the software. I've been looking for information here on the forum for days and I've read the JaamSim manual, but I still haven't found an answer to my problem.

I'm building a make-to-order model in which the production batches are made in different quantities and use the same production line (with 4 machines in line) to make 10 different types of product. I have a file with the input sequence of the references, the product name, the number of pieces in the batch and the setup time for each reference, but I can't find which tools to use to tell the model how many pieces to make from each reference.

To summarize my line:

Inputs
1st production - Product A - 20 pieces (customer order) - 30 min (setup time)
2nd production - Product C - 40 pieces - 20 min
3rd production - Product B - 35 pieces - 25 min

Sequence of operation:

setup A (30 min) - production A (20 pieces) - setup C (20 min) - production C (40 pieces) - setup B (25 min) - production B (35 pieces)

Can you help me with any tips on how to build this model?

My biggest difficulty is how to tell the EntityGenerator how many pieces of the batch to produce (size of the sales order) so that it can then change the reference, i.e. make the setup and start the new production.

Klaus Holstein

Apr 22, 2024, 9:20:35 AMApr 22
to jaamsi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Natanael,

Please send the input file.
You need to use the FileToMatrix element
Do you already have a raugh design of you model? Than add this too.

Best Regards,
Klaus
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Klaus Holstein

Natanael Lacerda

Apr 22, 2024, 6:13:40 PMApr 22
to JaamSim Users Discussion Group
Hello, Klaus,

I'll send you my model. As you can see, I haven't yet put in anything to tell the model how many pieces to produce from each reference and therefore how to do the setup after a production run.

The ProductionMap file contains the Input_Sequence, the unique production code (order), the reference to be produced, the number of parts in the batch and the setup time for each production.

So the logic would be:
Setup FG1 (45 min) -> Production FG1 (200 pieces) -> Setup FG2 (40 min) -> Production FG2 (250 pieces) -> ... -> Setup CJ4 (30 min) -> Production CJ4 (220 pieces)

I really have no idea how to insert and manage these inputs in the model. If you can help me, I'd really appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Natanael Lacerda

ProductionMap.txt
AssembleLine.cfg

Natanael Lacerda

Apr 26, 2024, 7:28:37 AMApr 26
to JaamSim Users Discussion Group
Hello, Klaus,

With your question, I realize my mistake in describing the model, I'm very sorry.

1)      As I understand the parts FG1 etc. are created with the EntityGenerator. Which EntityGenerator creates which FG1, FG2 etc.?
2)      Which SimEntity is which FG1, FG2 etc.?

FG1 is the final product, made up of 4 parts:
(1 SimEntity1 + 2 SimEntity3 + 1 SimEntity2)

So to produce 200 pieces of FG1, you need to generate 200 SimEntity1, 200 SimEntity2 and 400 SimEntity3.

Do I need to specify each quantity in the ProductionMap file or can I use an expression to indicate the quantities?

3)      What happens on the assembly points? How long takes the assembly process?

The connection points can be described as follows:

Assemble1: 1 SimEntity1 + 2 SimEntity3 resulting in SimEntity4

Assemble2: 1 SimEntity2 + SimEntity4 resulting in SimEntity5

The assemble time is very small, since it is automatic and does not depend on an operator.

Summarizing the process:

SimEntity1 is generated and processed in EntityProcessor1 (following an exponential distribution), if there are 2 SimEntity3 waiting in Queue5 then it moves on to Assemble1 with a service time of 0.5 seconds and generating SimEntity4.

Meanwhile, SimEntity2 is generated and moves on to be processed (also following an exponential distribution) by EntitProcessor2 and waits for SimEntity4 to move on, and then goes on to Assemble2 and generates SimEntity5, which represents the final product.

The final product (SimEntity5) is still processed on Server1 and then goes to packaging, in order to generate boxes with 10 units of SimEntity5 each.

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I hope I've made myself clear. If you need any more information, don't hesitate to contact me.

Natanael Lacerda

Apr 28, 2024, 1:58:29 PMApr 28
to JaamSim Users Discussion Group
Hello again,

I've managed to make some progress with my model, but I still haven't managed to use some of the FileToMatrix data. Following Klaus' tip, I started looking into FileToMatrix and using some of the help models here on the forum I managed to configure various settings for the generated entities (as can be seen in the attached screenshot), however when I need to use these values (for example in InputText or ExpressionEntity) I always get an error: "Could not find output 'obj' on entity 'Text4'", for example.

Funnily enough, when I needed to set the duration of EntityDelay5 (to be the setup time), the Assign input worked without a problem. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Could someone help me?
ProductionMap.txt
definitinEntity.PNG
AssembleLine_v5_setup.cfg

Natanael Lacerda

Apr 28, 2024, 1:58:42 PMApr 28
to JaamSim Users Discussion Group
For those whom my model may help in the future, in this version I have inserted the operators' movement time. As the packaging operation is carried out by them, they need to travel from the machine (stop working) to the packaging station. I have therefore made these adjustments so that when I create the 3D version, I can show the operators moving around.

I've also set some InputValues:
1-Quantity of parts on the table (before the packing area; this input will tell me that the operator needs to stop operating the machine and pack the material already produced);
2-Travel time to the packaging machine;
3- Time to move the full racks.