@USERx variables

Johan Liebenberg

Jun 9, 2021, 6:55:24 AM6/9/21
to jBASE

As I am new to jBase but not new to multi-value, one of the things I cannot find is something available elsewhere in the form of @USER variables. These are global and vary useful for carrying data around the system for easy access no matter where you are, programs, functions, I-Types, triggers etc.
I did some searching but since I do not know what the jBase equivalent is, my search came back empty. Any pointers to a similar feature will be appreciated. Thanks :)

Mvreply

Jun 9, 2021, 7:02:43 AM6/9/21
to jb...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

What you are seeking appear to be specific to UniVerse and do not exist on jBASE.

Details of all current jBASE @xxx functions can be found here:

https://docs.zumasys.com/jbase/jbc/the-'@'-function/

Mike

IMPORTANT: T24/Globus posts are no longer accepted on this forum.

To post, send email to jB...@googlegroups.com

Marcus Rhodes

Jun 9, 2021, 8:42:46 AM6/9/21
to jBASE
This is one of those things I think all of us has had to find some way of emulating in code.  In my case, I wrote an include called UBIQUITOUS_STUFF.  It's basically a named common, dimensioned-array.  It's initialized just once at login by a program called UBIQUITOUS_STUFFER, just because I'm like that.  And what this stuffer program does is populate the UBIQUITOUS array with everything that probably ought to be globally available, like username, home path, emulator details, terminal details, host type, etc.  I even made mine platform independent with a bunch of platform-specific subroutines to handle things like port number:  On most flavors, it's SYSTEM(18), but on D3 it's SYSTEM(22), and on UniData, it's @USERNO.

I've never been a fan of equating array indices to names, but I've also never been a fan of things like SYSTEM(24) either, especially where flavors differ, so my include names every element of the array just so the code reads more like English.

Just add your include to a program, and you have access to everything.

bdeck...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2021, 9:09:33 AM6/9/21
to jBASE
Agree with Marcus that a named common is a simple and effective way to emulate this sort of thing and to be platform neutral if desired.  Certain items will be static and will not change within a session.  Others, such as jBASE's ability to return complete stack information, will change naturally via program flow.  For these, you'll still need to call to the native function at the time you need the info.

Peter Falson

Jun 9, 2021, 9:15:20 AM6/9/21
to jb...@googlegroups.com
The @USER variables are now available in jBASE 5.8.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 9, 2021, at 6:09 AM, bdeck...@gmail.com <bdeck...@gmail.com> wrote:

IMPORTANT: T24/Globus posts are no longer accepted on this forum.

To post, send email to jB...@googlegroups.com

Johan Liebenberg

Jun 9, 2021, 8:42:03 PM6/9/21
to jBASE
I mostly used @USER variables in Revelation/OpenInsight but also in Universe.

Good idea Marcus, but never tried to implement that in I-types...

But I am really happy to see that it is now available in jBASE 5.8. (insert happy emoji here)
Any documentation available yet? Probably pushing my luck.

Stuart Boydell

Jun 10, 2021, 9:13:07 PM6/10/21
to jBASE