Print to File, SP-CREATE

alan...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2020, 10:27:19 AM11/19/20
to jBASE
I am looking to print existing printed reports to a file in a jbase directory for subsequent use.  What is the proper syntax for the SP-CREATE...SP-DEVICE commands?
Something like:
SP-CREATE A1 FILE /tmp/outputfile
then
SP-ASSIGN A1
LIST filename  ... LPTR

Jbase Version 5.6.2  on Aix 6.1

Thanks,
Al

Mvreply

Nov 19, 2020, 10:35:42 AM11/19/20
to jb...@googlegroups.com

Al,

See the following URLs:

https://docs.zumasys.com/jbase/spooler/spooler-file-device-type/

https://docs.zumasys.com/jbase/spooler/sp-assign/

If you need further assistance then please submit a ticket to sup...@zumasys.com

Mike

IMPORTANT: T24/Globus posts are no longer accepted on this forum.

To post, send email to jB...@googlegroups.com

Alan Metz

Nov 19, 2020, 11:11:26 AM11/19/20
to jb...@googlegroups.com
Mike,
   Here is the error I receive upon the SP-CREATE:
jsh DEV ~ -->SP-CREATE A1 FILE /data/DEV/PENDING.REPORTS

INVALID DEVICE TYPE
jsh DEV ~ -->

Mvreply

Nov 19, 2020, 11:30:35 AM11/19/20
to jb...@googlegroups.com

Alan,

That is because the FILE device type wasn’t implemented until jBASE 5.7.0.

Mike

Alan Metz

Nov 19, 2020, 1:27:54 PM11/19/20
to jb...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks.
That answers my question.

Daniel Klein

Nov 19, 2020, 5:25:15 PM11/19/20
to jb...@googlegroups.com
Here are 2 ways to send a print job to a file:

1) SP-CREATE A1 prog cat > /tmp/myfile.txt

but this will overwrite myfile.txt each time a job is despooled from the A1 queue.

2) Send the job to a hold file then, assuming the hold file number is 1:

SP-EDIT 1 (I

This will prompt for a destination file and ID.

***

Other than that, as Mike mentioned, you'd have to upgrade to get the FILE device type, which will allow you to create a unique filename for each print job.

Daniel